2018 5* QB Emory Jones (Ohio St.)

ellitor

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Their QB situation is a mess. That's true. I don't see the guys on the roster really fitting Mullen's system.

34 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Their QB situation is a mess. That's true. I don't see the guys on the roster really fitting Mullen's system.

True, and EJ looks ideal for Dirty Dan’s system.  I don’t like UF very much, and Dirty Dan even less, but they’re the best bet to give uga legitimate competition, so good luck EJ!

4 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Their O-Line is a mess as well. EJ better choose wisely. 

6 hours ago, thewhiz7 said:

So where does that leave us for a 2nd QB in this class?

It was EJ or bust.

6 hours ago, thewhiz7 said:

My assumption is we will just take one and move on

Nope. We don't have slots available just to take one for the sake of taking 1.

37 minutes ago, DAG said:

Of course . We are bad with contingency plans.

Think about this too. if you aren't highly convinced on any QBs in the class to be the 2nd target no sense taking a 2nd guy you don't feel great about & have that more depth by taking 2 in the class be there to potentially hurt the recruitment of Bo Nix in the next class.

48 minutes ago, DAG said:

Of course . We are bad with contingency plans.

Auburn has one of the best teams in the country RIGHT NOW. We have a great recruiting class. Why is it so hard to see the good in Auburn? Maybe we don't NEED a contingency plan! Just enjoy things! Things are GREAT from where I am looking!

6 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Auburn has one of the best teams in the country RIGHT NOW. We have a great recruiting class. Why is it so hard to see the good in Auburn? Maybe we don't NEED a contingency plan! Just enjoy things! Things are GREAT from where I am looking!

This is good and all but @DAG has a point too. Joey has a lot of raw potential. While he has improved as a passer this year we don't know if he will progress enough to be a good SEC QB. I still don't want to take one for taking 1 but if they could have landed another they truly liked it would have been nice.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

This is good and all but @DAG has a point too. Joey has a lot of raw potential. While he has improved as a passer this year we don't know if he will progress enough to be a good SEC QB. I still don't want to take one for taking 1 but if they could have landed another they truly liked it would have been nice.

But if Auburn is doing everything we can to get EJ then what else can we do? Should our contingency plan have been someone easy to get just so we could say we got our contingency man? Stidham and Willis and Gatewood...maybe the sky is NOT falling!

27 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Maybe we don't NEED a contingency plan!

I’m all in on Gatewood; I’ve been that way since he was a sophomore. With that said, it’s true that Gatewood is far from a polished QB prospect but he has the athletic ability to play all over the field. Sticking with signing just one QB is pretty risky if Gatewood is the one QB. After all, not having quality depth at QB has been hurting us for years. 

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m all in Gatewood; I’ve been that way since he was a sophomore. With that said, it’s true that Gatewood is far from a polished QB prospect but he has the athletic ability to play all over the field. Sticking with signing just one QB is pretty risky if Gatewood is the one QB. After all, not having quality depth at QB has been hurting us for years. 

I agree! But we are TRYING to get another QB. And we still may get EJ, so let's just hang in there and see how this plays out.

8 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Should our contingency plan have been someone easy to get just so we could say we got our contingency man?

I pretty much said no to this twice. lol

9 minutes ago, Grumps said:

maybe the sky is NOT falling!

Nothing about DAG's post came across like the sky is falling. He can argue with the best of 'em & is very passionate but he is not an eternal pessimest.

35 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Yes because you are a fan with nothing on the line . You can afford to think about now and not the future. As history as shown us, CGM absolutely cannot and must always be forward thinking .  I think you need to calm down for a second and not make assumptions About my post. All I am saying is depth wouldn’t be a bad thing. I am grateful that the staff went after the very best but now we need to make sure we build as much depth as possible . How do you think we got Sean White here? 

I am guessing  Jones to florida.

I am not for just taking a QB just to say we took one. If the coaches don’t like them, then do not waste a spot. We have several guys on the team that played QB in high school and I am sure they have a walk on or two. Would a QB the coaches do not want be any better than one of those guys? There will be three scholarship QBs next year. If all those guys get hurt we are in trouble. Hopefully get Nix and someone else next year that can compete.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

It was EJ or bust.

Nope. We don't have slots available just to take one for the sake of taking 1.

Sorry I was not clear. What I meat was that we will not take 2nd QB in this class. If we miss on EJ we will fill the spot with another position.

Any idea why we didn't pursue the Jack West kid that played QB for the Alabama team today? He looked capable and has committed to Stanford. He certainly appeared to be well above the level of a backup plan.

3 hours ago, wildlife alumni said:

I am not for just taking a QB just to say we took one. If the coaches don’t like them, then do not waste a spot. We have several guys on the team that played QB in high school and I am sure they have a walk on or two. Would a QB the coaches do not want be any better than one of those guys? There will be three scholarship QBs next year. If all those guys get hurt we are in trouble. Hopefully get Nix and someone else next year that can compete.

I don't think a single person is for that. 

Archived