Back to Back 10 win Seasons

aujeff11

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

Well , three of the potential starters for next year OL had multiple starts and playing time under their belt this year. Not the best scenario replacing 4 of 5 but only 2 of these will be first time starters.

Only two will be first time starters WE THINK, but we don't know and who knows Hand may move them all to different positions. O-line has me worried more than any other position. So I'm not counting 10 wins just yet, maybe with the bowl game we can get 10.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

Well , three of the potential starters for next year OL had multiple starts and playing time under their belt this year. Not the best scenario replacing 4 of 5 but only 2 of these will be first time starters.

I agree of the 4 spots on the O line to fill, two have players who have had meaningful snaps. 

But you just don’t replace the skills and experence of Smith, James, Golson, and Dunn on day one. IMHO, we have players of equal or greater talent which will be the next man up. But it might take a full season or more before experence brings out the best of the talent.

Washington will be a challenge, ESPECIALLY if Browning is back next year. The whole “taking 3-4 games to figure out what is going on” thing shouldn’t happen next year because the O is based on the QB strengths and when we know what we’ve got going into the season, we’ve started out well. (2014 is the only year that’s been the case)

LSU and A&M should be challenging as well. The good news is they are both home games. When was the last time we lost a home game? (A&M in 2016, right?)

Assuming 9-0 going into Amen Corner is....umm....well....a little premature at this point.  But to quote the great theologian Gustav Malzahn, I like where we’re at.  (8-1 or 9-0 should be an attainable goal)

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's the thing. Gus has only had 1 QB (who he actually wanted to be his QB) return, and we absolutely- pardon the pun- hit the ground running that season. The main difference there is that we returned our starting center, who was a really, really good one. 

Even with the turnover on OL, this is the season that Gus will need to put that rep to bed, assuming Stidham comes back.

Yep that is a good point. Only Nick came back and our offense, while not on 2013 level (lol will there ever be a run game like that again?), was still a true force. I am a bit worried about the OL. Hopefully Tega can make a Shon Coleman type of jump this off-season. I'd like to see us attack next season with the same explosiveness we came out in 2014 with. Stidham will be in pre-season Heisman talk again and I'd love to see that come to fruition.

Everyone claiming we don't start the year strong should take a look at the 1 year Gus had a returning QB and the points we put up in the first 5 games.

Personally I think next year sets up well.washington should be a win. We have TAM and LSU at home . OM msu and Arky all breaking in new coaches as is TAM. Uga at their house but they are losing 31 seniors so I think we win that one by a good margin.uat is going downhill. The only reason the made the final this year is they got a bye on AU that was the only decent team they played. I look for Clemson to beat them decisively. They haven’t really done well on their recruiting this year. It will be tough in BD stadium but we should be only a few point underdog going in.  See no reason not to return to he SEC and win it this time and make the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

For 7 million dollars, 10 win seasons should be the low end every year. 

If we paid less for a coach would expectations be any less?  We’re paying market rate premium b/c we’re a top tier SEC West team.  Expectations will be there regardless.

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

My biggest concern is LSU.  They found their groove and could be a force next year. It really all depends on how well they can rebuild their D and if Guice declares for the draft.  Otherwise, you're right... that may be the easiest SEC slate we've faced in a long time.

Does anyone know anything about Browning's back-up at Washington? I'm assuming he's going to go early, since he's pretty highly ranked in the draft, and his back-up this year is transferring. If Browning decides to go for one more year, it that first game could be a heck of a test.

I can tell you 9 months in advance, with my eyes closed, LSU will be a preseason top 5, -always a concern

11 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Personally I think next year sets up well.washington should be a win. We have TAM and LSU at home . OM msu and Arky all breaking in new coaches as is TAM. Uga at their house but they are losing 31 seniors so I think we win that one by a good margin.uat is going downhill. The only reason the made the final this year is they got a bye on AU that was the only decent team they played. I look for Clemson to beat them decisively. They haven’t really done well on their recruiting this year. It will be tough in BD stadium but we should be only a few point underdog going in.  See no reason not to return to he SEC and win it this time and make the playoffs. 

I hope this is right.

36 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

Everyone claiming we don't start the year strong should take a look at the 1 year Gus had a returning QB and the points we put up in the first 5 games.

Still smh about '14. Redzone collapse? But yes, Return of JS should mean the best running start in years.

Its time we start expecting more. More from the new OL next year, more from the backups who will become starters, more from the true freshman who will see the field, and more from our coaches who EARNED 10 wins this year. Now theyve gotta do it again. They SHOULD do it again. There is no excuse. Get better, be prepared, win.

Tamu could be the surprise team in the SEC next year.  Recruiting was never a problem under Sumlin.  Throw in a proven coach like Jimbo and a late season date and it could be tough.  Tennessee is the same thing.  They probably won’t be great but they’re not devoid of talent.  If Pruitt turns out to be a good coach then they could be tough.  Miss State could be decent if Fitzgerald is able to return close to where he was prior to the injury.  Ole Miss and Arkansas should still be pretty terrible.  LSU will be bringing in a brand new backfield into Jordan Hare week 3 and that probably doesn’t end well for them.  

12 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Tamu could be the surprise team in the SEC next year.  Recruiting was never a problem under Sumlin.  Throw in a proven coach like Jimbo and a late season date and it could be tough.  Tennessee is the same thing.  They probably won’t be great but they’re not devoid of talent.  If Pruitt turns out to be a good coach then they could be tough.  Miss State could be decent if Fitzgerald is able to return close to where he was prior to the injury.

I think you’re right but all three will need at least one year of work to defeat Auburn I think. Tennessee still doesn’t have a QB. A&M needs a culture adjustment and Moo State needs more talent around Fitz. Some big obstacles for first year HC’s.

Everyone loses great players each year. That's part of what makes college football so interesting. We've recruited top 10 classes every year and haven't had trouble with OL recruiting in a long time. I believe we will have good line play on both sides of the ball next year. The back end of our defense is always our Achilles heel it seems like, but everyone struggles in that area. That's why premier corners get paid so well at the next level. We will have a team similar to this year with much better QB play from the start. I never worry about our running game. 

All that said, we will be a top 10 team with as good a chance as anyone to reach the playoffs. Especially if we can overcome that away game stigma. 10 wins should be expected. 

I guess I am the only one who thinks WE SHOULD NEVER schedule someone like southern miss as one of the cupcake games. They are 8-4 this year and won a bowl game last year. This is not your run of the mill cupcake game. I do not like it.......... Also Jimbo is going to make Nick Starkel in to a star on the college level. I am worried about that game now.

Guice is a lock to go pro. I like that we get LSU early as they will be breaking in a new qb.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I guess I am the only one who thinks WE SHOULD NEVER schedule someone like southern miss as one of the cupcake games. They are 8-4 this year and won a bowl game last year. This is not your run of the mill cupcake game. I do not like it.......... Also Jimbo is going to make Nick Starkel in to a star on the college level. I am worried about that game now.

At least that's 5 games in. We should be good. lol

I keep looking at Bama and Georgia's schedules. Once again they get a cakewalk while us and LSU have to survive a gauntlet. Ughhhhh.

I don't expect A&M to be any different with Fisher than with Sumlin. In coaching against just the West division teams, Fisher will be facing a tougher schedule than any he had at fsu.

I remember at the beginning of this year, a couple fans were crowing at the fact that we would schedule a game with UW, thinking they were a one hit wonder...Next season starts January 1st. How will we respond?

43 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

We are not losing to A&M in his first year. If we do, we have bigger problems than just amen corner and a few toss-ups. 

It's a little early to be looking ahead to next years schedule but that is one brutal schedule.  Washington is quality, southern miss is quality even if it should be a win they are better then a lot of rent a win games.  

With all the coaching changes on our schedule and staffs not even filled out yet it's hard to know what exactly we are going up against.  I can tell you a couple of things Pruitt will have UTk playing more physical, they might not be better but they will play physical football.  Fisher will have aTm playing more physical then Sumlin and with their running backs I expect their rushing attack and play action passing to go through the roof.  Not sure about the quality of their WRs and OL but their defense will get better just by the fact of going up against a power run team every day in practice.  

Then you add LSU, UGA and bama.  Very tough schedule.

At first look I'd say 9-3 without knowing where everyone falls in the coaching moves but those moves plus recruiting will factor in for depth for a lot of teams.  Unlucky for us we play UTk and aTm later rather then early.  UT is a little early but should have figured out a few things by the time we play them.  

Plus the draft could possibly snatch KJ, Holland, Russell, C. Davis... umm and possibly even Stidham away.  

Archived