Tim Horton

aufan57

With Steve Campbell leaving Central Arkansas to become the head coach at South Alabama, is there a possibility that Tim Horton will consider returning home to Conway, Arkansas and become the new Central Arkansas Head Coach. His father won two national titles there in the 80's. Just speculating, but I certain it is common knowledge that Horton has interviewed the past couple of years for other positions.

3 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

With Steve Campbell leaving Central Arkansas to become the head coach at South Alabama, is there a possibility that Tim Horton will consider returning home to Conway, Arkansas and become the new Central Arkansas Head Coach. His father won two national titles there in the 80's. Just speculating, but I certain it is common knowledge that Horton has interviewed the past couple of years for other positions.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't take a few interviews. The problem for these little schools is that he makes more as an assistant at Auburn than he would make as a head coach there.

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

Go throw a ton of money at Dell McGee and see if we can convince him to come home.

wde

AU can pretty much afford any assistant they really want.   So...is he on the "wanted" list at AU ?

I love Dell's recruiting but don't give up on Horton so quick.  He's only coached 2 Heisman finalist(McFadden and Tre Mason) and 2 offensive players of the year in the SEC (McFadden and KJ).  

What has Dell done on the field compared?

I also get the other side that it is Gus' run game that has produced those but Horton is a very good recruiter and coach as well.

**edit - 3 Heisman finalist and 3 Offensive POY since mcfadden was a 2x representative for both**

Yep, Horton has been worth his weight in gold as RB coach.  As STC, not so much.

If his heart's desire is to follow in his father's footsteps then I sincerely hope he gets it and doesn't ever look back.

34 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I love Dell's recruiting but don't give up on Horton so quick.  He's only coached 2 Heisman finalist(McFadden and Tre Mason) and 2 offensive players of the year in the SEC (McFadden and KJ).  

I also get the other side that it is Gus' run game that has produced those but Horton is a very good recruiter and coach as well.

**edit - 3 Heisman finalist and 3 Offensive POY since mcfadden was a 2x representative for both**

this is in the event he leaves. no issue speculating who we could get in that event. I think as good of a recruiter as horton is Dell is on track to being a elite recruiter and one of the best in the country. As a coach? yes def horton has been better and has a longer track record. But any rb coach under gus will thrive imo.

Just now, auburn4ever said:

Would Dell be a good RB coach and top recruiter?

he was lead recruiter for justin fields and was the one who turned it all around for them in the race for his services.

1 minute ago, auburn4ever said:

Would Dell be a good RB coach and top recruiter?

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeCoachRankings only makes 275k as well. we could give him a nice bump if horton leaves. And look who is number 1.............

Just now, bigbird said:

#9 is one of my good friends that I played with.  

what do you think of only 2 guys from AU in the top 50 right now? With herb hand at number 50. I expect more out of Garner and larry porter. but hey we are number 8 in the 247 rankings so it has worked out great so far!

Looking at the crystal ball predictions on 247, we are in great shape for some excellent DEs and OLs. We could wind up with a top 5 class when all is said and done. I keep seeing Gatewood as an Ath. I thought he was being recruited as a QB.

We need him as a QB in my opinion. We need to counter Uga and not let them get too far ahead talent wise. I think we are close talent wise and having a top 5 class will keep us flush with excellent players.  If Horton leaves, Gus needs to make a play for McGee and get him out of the mutts dog pound.

I hope next year we go into Athens and beat the dog *&^*&** out of them. Keep Gus mum on this one though! Now that we have a stable coaching situation, we need to start our run of being one of the elite teams in the SEC and fight like a demon to win the west and conference. I am looking forward to seeing OU beat the $^&%&* out of the mutts and for Clemson to do the same for the turds.

5 hours ago, aufan57 said:

Probably a cut in pay. Hope he stays. And I hope Gus gives him a real nice raise. Probably the most underpaid coach on Gus’s staff

Not to hijack the thread but on the AU assistants salary list that was released this week, Porter was at 505,000..Kodi was 350,000 and Travis Williams was the lowest paid assistant at 225.000.  Is Porter really worth double what Travis makes or Kodi worth 100,000 more?  This isn't meant to be a knock on Kodi or Porter, I just think Williams is a rising star and AU needs to bump him up accordingly.

3 minutes ago, CR said:

Not to hijack the thread but on the AU assistants salary list that was released this week, Porter was at 505,000..Kodi was 350,000 and Travis Williams was the lowest paid assistant at 225.000.  Is Porter really worth double what Travis makes or Kodi worth 100,000 more?  This isn't meant to be a knock on Kodi or Porter, I just think Williams is a rising star and AU needs to bump him up accordingly.

Horton's salary $325k.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

AU can pretty much afford any assistant they really want.   So...is he on the "wanted" list at AU ?

If he's not, we need to rescind Gus' new extension and buyout!!

25 minutes ago, CR said:

I expect T-Will to get a bump up to about 350k.  That will be a great salary for a guy with his experience.  

Horton was close to leaving last year.  He has also interviewed for head coaching jobs over the last 3 years.  I would not be surprised at all if he looked to further his career, it really makes sense.  It is just a matter of when, like a lot of assistant coaches.

12 hours ago, corchjay said:

I think Horton is the best coach on the O staff (give Lindsey a few more years and he may be) so I have no problem with Horton. But Dell McGee is entering superstar mode in terms of recruiting and UGA's RBs are the best in the conference.

wde

Horton is a good coach and recruiter, no doubt. But I'm not sure we can't do better. We can definitely be recruiting running backs better and we can definitely be doing a better job of preparing multiple running backs for the season. As for his track record, there are a lot of contributing factors to his success. 

Can we replicate his understanding of what Gus wants to do? Can we get a guy that the players will love and respect as much as they evidently love and respect Horton? How much is Gus enabling him on the recruiting trail? No clue. But there are some important things that we can improve upon and it's entirely possible that it's okay if he moves on.

10 hours ago, CR said:

Porter was at 505,000

He needs to step things up and start earning his pay. I mean what does he do? We have no tight ends he hasn't been credited with any big name recruits, I just don't see any results from hiring him.

34 minutes ago, kd4au said:

He needs to step things up and start earning his pay. I mean what does he do? We have no tight ends he hasn't been credited with any big name recruits, I just don't see any results from hiring him.

I am just curious, how confident are you that Porter is not earning his pay? You seem to be sure that he is overpaid. Is your confidence based on knowledge or  something else?

Archived