Tim Horton

aufan57

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Can we replicate his understanding of what Gus wants to do? 

At the risk of being redundant, I will point out that this offense went to a zone blocking based scheme this season.  Running backs go from seeing and hitting the "hole" to waiting and seeing the "lane".  Kerryon made this transition as flawlessly as anyone could have hoped for (Leveon Bell comparisons?).  I do not believe that was entirely on the player.  Horton earned every penny he made this year, even in spite of the fact that Gus chose not to use K Mart or Miller.

3 hours ago, Grumps said:

I am just curious, how confident are you that Porter is not earning his pay? You seem to be sure that he is overpaid. Is your confidence based on knowledge or  something else?

Why don't you enlighten me on some of things you see that can be contributed to Porters coaching. Like I said there is no tight ends that appear to be able to catch, he has not been credited with any big name recruits, maybe he is doing a great job and you need to let me know what I'm missing.And I'm not confident he is not , but I just don't see a lot of production. I'll put it this way I see a lot more from T-Will and Kodi.

2 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

At the risk of being redundant, I will point out that this offense went to a zone blocking based scheme this season.  Running backs go from seeing and hitting the "hole" to waiting and seeing the "lane".  Kerryon made this transition as flawlessly as anyone could have hoped for (Leveon Bell comparisons?).  I do not believe that was entirely on the player.  Horton earned every penny he made this year, even in spite of the fact that Gus chose not to use K Mart or Miller.

Yep. I think that's why we watched Pettway really struggle most of the year. He's Not a cut back. 

3 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Why don't you enlighten me on some of things you see that can be contributed to Porters coaching. Like I said there is no tight ends that appear to be able to catch, he has not been credited with any big name recruits, maybe he is doing a great job and you need to let me know what I'm missing.And I'm not confident he is not , but I just don't see a lot of production. I'll put it this way I see a lot more from T-Will and Kodi.

I think we have to give the recruiting time. I don't know how much time, and I don't know if he'll ever produce at a high level. But I think we have to give him a little more time before calling him a bust. 

5 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

I think Horton is the best coach on the O staff (give Lindsey a few more years and he may be) so I have no problem with Horton. But Dell McGee is entering superstar mode in terms of recruiting and UGA's RBs are the best in the conference.

wde

Dell got Swift a 5* last year and has White and 5* and Cook a 4* this year.  He is recruiting 5* players lights out.  Not only that he is getting them with a ton of talent on the team at their positions already.  Dude is killing it.

59 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Yep. I think that's why we watched Pettway really struggle most of the year. He's Not a cut back. 

Exactly.  Also why I think he is gone to the NFL (along with the family situation).

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I think we have to give the recruiting time. I don't know how much time, and I don't know if he'll ever produce at a high level. But I think we have to give him a little more time before calling him a bust. 

Didn't call him a bust, just said he needed to up his game. He was supposedly a great recruiter when he was brought in and until now he hasn't produced. As for coaching, he was a RB coach and maybe he would be better suited to coach RB's. I thought when he first joined the staff he was a backup plan for Horton and maybe he was and Horton didn't get another job IDK.

4 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

offense went to a zone blocking based scheme this season

Was this Chip call to change the scheme?

Well Horton I am sure has proven he is a good RB coach at Ark and here...just look at all his rbs he's coached.

But why was he ST coordinator? This was the worst we have ever been...3 blocks may have cost Carlson the kicking award..on returns we were always holding our breath. If Carlson didn't kick it so they couldn't return, it could have been worse.

We need special attention next year to a true experienced ST coach....Is that even being looked at with this Staff?

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Horton is a good coach and recruiter, no doubt. But I'm not sure we can't do better. We can definitely be recruiting running backs better and we can definitely be doing a better job of preparing multiple running backs for the season. As for his track record, there are a lot of contributing factors to his success. 

Can we replicate his understanding of what Gus wants to do? Can we get a guy that the players will love and respect as much as they evidently love and respect Horton? How much is Gus enabling him on the recruiting trail? No clue. But there are some important things that we can improve upon and it's entirely possible that it's okay if he moves on.

Who recruited Asa Martin? 

Im assuming Horton's brought in every RB and in that case, he's given us Jovon (although he already had seeds here), Kerryon, Roc, Pettway, Barnett, hopefully Asa, and Kam Martin, all very talented RBs/HBs coming out of school. This Dell fella, IDK How long he's been there,  but De'Andre Swift is a monster and they supposedly have the number one back committed this year? Im also guessing he was there long enough to rope in Sony Michel, who's like a first rounder (edit that doesnt make sense if he came on Kirbys staff though, never mind)

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

In my opinion, it also caused the lose at LSU.   Either not enough time or right personnel were on ST

did we score a point during the second half? that punt/coverage was regrettable, but they would've just at least got a field goal, almost certainly caved Auburn's offense in again, and scored a TD later. We were completely hapless from every single facet of football by the 4th quarter 

Since the NCAA will allow teams to start having 10 assist coaches as of Jan 18, 2018, Gus Malzahn should hire a ST coordinator.

18 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Who recruited Asa Martin? 

Im assuming Horton's brought in every RB and in that case, he's given us Jovon (although he already had seeds here), Kerryon, Roc, Pettway, Barnett, hopefully Asa, and Kam Martin, all very talented RBs/HBs coming out of school. This Dell fella, IDK How long he's been there,  but De'Andre Swift is a monster and they supposedly have the number one back committed this year? Im also guessing he was there long enough to rope in Sony Michel, who's like a first rounder (edit that doesnt make sense if he came on Kirbys staff though, never mind)

Dont think he had a hand in Sony M. but since 2016 he has been on a tear recruiting. Elijah Hollyfield,James Cook,Justin Fields,Zamir White.

Not quite sure why folks think AU went to a zone blocking scheme this year.  Zone blocking has been a part of Malzahn’s offense since he got to Auburn as OC.  They are just like anyone else and are a mixture of zone blocking and gap blocking schemes.  The inside zone at AU is nothing new.

I will say that one thing they don’t do is run the outside zone.  They tinkered with it a couple of years ago with Jovon Robinson, but they much prefer to get the ball outside with the buck sweep (gap blocking) and the jet sweep.

On 12/10/2017 at 8:48 AM, WarEagle1982 said:

I will say that one thing they don’t do is run the outside zone.  They tinkered with it a couple of years ago with Jovon Robinson, but they much prefer to get the ball outside with the buck sweep (gap blocking) and the jet sweep.

Its an absolute shame we dont run it more often. Jovon feasted with it and it'd excel with a 2016 KP or KJ running it. Its just so easy to pinpoint where the ball is going in our running game, especially when we dont run RPOs off that jet sweep to at least have someone key in on the QB

On 12/8/2017 at 2:12 PM, steeleagle said:

We need special attention next year to a true experienced ST coach....Is that even being looked at with this Staff?

Agree! This is killing us. ST is just as important as Offense and Defense. ST can turn a close game or keep us in a game at times.

Archived