Pro Football Focus player grades

aubiefifty

46 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Possibly......but he got us past the ball hawks at Bama, LSU and Georgia with no INTs....and funny thing to me is that his four INTs were against the 4 worst teams we played.  

On the other hand....could do without those fumbles which about broke my heart in two games. 

As he himself noted, he has a ways to go and for his first full season,  some of which was played with RB issues....he progressed quite well. 

I think he got a lot better throughout the season. I am hoping CCL and JS keep growing together and the offense keeps expanding . I am excited to see what the future holds. My expectations might not be realistic but I am hoping for a Matthew Stafford type improvement from JS.

On 12/8/2017 at 9:39 PM, corchjay said:

Why?  Because of high school ratings?  He hasn’t proven to have elite hands or ability to get open.  He’s still young tho keep getting better 

One of the most vivid memories to me of Craig-Myers season was in the Mercer game. He ran a slant, gave minimal effort during the play and a 5'10" 180 lb DB intercepted the pass. The DB wanted the ball more.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think he got a lot better throughout the season. I am hoping CCL and JS keep growing together and the offense keeps expanding . I am excited to see what the future holds. My expectations might not be realistic but I am hoping for a Matthew Stafford type improvement from JS.

That's not unreasonable IMO.....generally it is accepted that the biggest gains are made from year one to year two.  

When JS started the Clemson game, despite his Baylor experience, he was still basically a freshman and after sitting out a year, did not even have the benefit of practicing with Auburn....or the benefit of a redshirt season.   With that full year gap, In some ways it was probably worse than coming direct from HS and trying to start. Hard way to start your QB career against one of the best defenses in the country. 

10 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

One of the most vivid memories to me of Craig-Myers season was in the Mercer game. He ran a slant, gave minimal effort during the play and a 5'10" 180 lb DB intercepted the pass. The DB wanted the ball more.

a 5'10, 180 lb DB who was behind him and basically moved him out of the way to get the ball. Had he stepped into the pass at all it would have been a completion.

17 hours ago, Mikey said:

Quoting: " Stidham only unloads these long streaks/posts as a formality and to receivers who arent meant to make tough catches."

You haven't watched Slayton this year, have you? He has 24 catches, averaging 23.9 yards per catch. If that's not unloading downfield I don't know what is.

To specify, there's a ton of moments against good teams where we were just throwing deep to throw deep. I dont remember those games against scrubs, but when you watch the Clemson, LSU or 2nd UGA game, there was no real logic behind the times they threw deep. Seemed like pure desperation 

15 hours ago, AU64 said:

I read over and over that JS does not like to throw to receivers who are not open.    Gus hates turnovers (with good reason) and JS apparently does not like to put the ball up and hope the WR will make the play. They call 'em 50:50 balls for a reason....mostly the wrong guy is gonna catch the ball about half  the time. 

The way for NCM to make an impact is to get open.

Otherwise, when NCM is in his blocking mode, he's a big help to guys like Davis and we shouldn't downplay that contribution.   

You cant win a championship without being able to hit 50/50 plays and involve 50/50 receivers, thats just a simple fact I believe. You can only go so long with running the ball up the middle and throwing screens before one of those collapses (or both). I would say after seeing his two most successful QBs both be very adept at putting the ball where it needs to be down field, Gus should seriously consider getting over his fears and re-introduce that level of play. I think Stidham probably had less than 10 ATTEMPTS at 50/50 balls with guys like KD and NCM out there. Why even recruit them (or McClain)? You dont get a Devin Funchess or Mike Williams for them to burn dudes downfield....

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

To specify, there's a ton of moments against good teams where we were just throwing deep to throw deep. I dont remember those games against scrubs, but when you watch the Clemson, LSU or 2nd UGA game, there was no real logic behind the times they threw deep. Seemed like pure desperation 

There was real logic. It came in the form of a superior pass rush.

9 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

when you watch the Clemson, LSU or 2nd UGA game, there was no real logic behind the times they threw deep. Seemed like pure desperation

11:31 AU - Will Hastings 49 yd pass from Jarrett Stidham (Daniel Carlson kick)
2 plays, 52 yards, TOP 0:36, AU 10 - LSU 0

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

There was real logic. It came in the form of a superior pass rush.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this here, but wouldn't a superior pass rush mean you counter that with a shorter pass game rather than let your QB get sacked 11 times waiting for all the down field routes to develop like in the Clemson game, for example?

On 12/8/2017 at 10:52 PM, DAG said:

How do you know he doesn't have elite hands? I have seen him drop one legit pass thrown to him in the Bama game I believe. He made up for it on the next One. Seriously? Slayton by far doesn't have elite hands, yet how many passes get thrown to him. The issue is NCM is a big WR, therefore, he gets regulated to blocking on the outside. I just don't see how you can even say someone doesn't have elite hands when they barely get the opportunity to get passes. Clearly, he is doing something right, as he is always on the field more than Hastings who some of y'all feel has elite hands and agility.

He certainly needs more opportunities for catches. I think NCM has decent speed but by far what makes him good is his ability to go get the football. Clemson WRs show this time and time again with catching 50/50 balls. Those back shoulder throws they constantly complete with their big WRs are a killer. Their WRs are not often wide open; they go get the football. I think McClain is a sleeping beast too. We seriously have to get a better passing attack b/c more of our WRs could be major mismatches for teams. 

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

He certainly needs more opportunities for catches. I think NCM has decent speed but by far what makes him good is his ability to go get the football. Clemson WRs show this time and time again with catching 50/50 balls. Those back shoulder throws they constantly complete with their big WRs are a killer. Their WRs are not often wide open; they go get the football. I think McClain is a sleeping beast too. We seriously have to get a better passing attack b/c more of our WRs could be major mismatches for teams. 

McClain is like the abominable snowman for me. I hear how much of a terror he is, yet never seem to be found anywhere.

12 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

11:31 AU - Will Hastings 49 yd pass from Jarrett Stidham (Daniel Carlson kick)

2 plays, 52 yards, TOP 0:36, AU 10 - LSU 0

The game was alot longer than that first quarter as I remember. Not too many deep passes that had a hope of completion after the one you just listed

On 12/13/2017 at 4:16 PM, DAG said:

McClain is like the abominable snowman for me. I hear how much of a terror he is, yet never seem to be found anywhere.

Well said, although he did have one big catch and run that popped off the screen like nothing I've seen from the other guys. Certain guys just do things physically that other guys can't do, and you know it when you see it. I learned that from watching Chris Johnson in his first NFL preseason game. Anyway, that doesn't mean McClain's an SEC *football player*, but I do think he's the *athlete* that everyone thinks he is. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived