Jake Browning likely to return

WDE_OxPx_2010

Article

Nothing has been asked or said by Jake specifically about coming back for his senior season, or making himself available for the NFL draft. All signs though point to his playing one more year for the Huskies.

Makes this game even more of a headliner. Likely two top 10 teams with 2 of the top 5 QBs in Atlanta to kick off the season. I hope to be there.

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Article

Makes this game even more of a headliner. Likely two top 10 teams with 2 of the top 5 QBs in Atlanta to kick off the season. I hope to be there.

If we win game one, we start off 9-0. Huge game. 

30 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Glad Dante Pettit won’t be there but hopefully Myles Gaskin and Vita Vea will declare for the draft. 

Definitely yes on Vea. Our inexperienced line next year would not be able to block him. He is one strong young man. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Bold prediction not knowing who is coming back, and you know, not considering the idea that AU might lose a game or two they shouldn't like they have the last 2-3 years.

5 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Bold prediction not knowing who is coming back, and you know, not considering the idea that AU might lose a game or two they shouldn't like they have the last 2-3 years.

It is a bold prediction. It’s basically what I said on the back to back 10 win season thread. We are doing it.

1 hour ago, aufan57 said:

Definitely yes on Vea. Our inexperienced line next year would not be able to block him. He is one strong young man. 

He just got 3rd team AP All American 

This is the offseason for Gus to either figure out his team before game 5 or stop scheduling tough games at the beginning of the season. Since we'll be ending the next few seasons with likely 2 top ten teams every year i would prefer he start figuring out his team before game 5

On 12/11/2017 at 12:35 PM, gravejd said:

This is the offseason for Gus to either figure out his team before game 5 or stop scheduling tough games at the beginning of the season. Since we'll be ending the next few seasons with likely 2 top ten teams every year i would prefer he start figuring out his team before game 5

I would prefer he figure it out before game 1.

Browning can play. Certainly makes this game more challenging.

I don't think I agree that our OL will be terribly inexperienced. We're likely to start Wanogho (RS Jr with starting experience), Horton (RS Jr with starting experience), and Harrell (RS Jr with starting experience). Without looking, I bet we've been in worse spots than having three Juniors returning with starting experience before. I think the OL will be as athletic as we've seen in recent years next year. Not a group of maulers, but it will be an athletic bunch.

54 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Browning can play. Certainly makes this game more challenging.

I don't think I agree that our OL will be terribly inexperienced. We're likely to start Wanogho (RS Jr with starting experience), Horton (RS Jr with starting experience), and Harrell (RS Jr with starting experience). Without looking, I bet we've been in worse spots than having three Juniors returning with starting experience before. I think the OL will be as athletic as we've seen in recent years next year. Not a group of maulers, but it will be an athletic bunch.

Losing both centers though.....any thoughts on what that could mean? 

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Losing both centers though.....any thoughts on what that could mean? 

Next man up.  We recruited others to play center, so one of them should be able to do it. Don't forget, Kim was a 4-star center, Brahms and Troxell were both high ranking 4-stars, and Ashley was a 5-star. We just need to find a good combination in the Spring so they can gel by game 1.

Well Between Sammons 2 years in the system, with Ashley and Troxell (recovering from ACL surgery for a period of time) both having one year in the system. We need one tackle to step up to a RT starter and another tackle to be the next man up in case of an injury. 

As for center we got Kim 2 years in the system and Brahms 1 year in the system (recovering from broken leg also for a period of time).

We also have Sharp and Carr with 2 years in the system and Hamm with 1 year in the system (recovering from health issue for a period of time). These guys have had enough time, (Sharp/Carr, not Hamm), they need to step up like Harrell has done. They need to develop a mean streak and attitude and start stepping up or be resigned to fact that they are nothing more than a scrub.

Tucker Brown was a lineman turned TE this year, but at 6’3” and 288 it will be interesting to see if he gets moved back to the line. In years past the extra lineman was a gateway to a starting position the next year. Shon Coleman and Tega both did it..

I am not saying it is the best situation, I would swap a returning center for a returning guard in a heart beat,  but  LT, LG & RG returning (Tega, Harrell, Horton) is a good start. I mean, we could have it a lot worse.

I am sure CHH will do a LOT of player shuffling during the spring, so just expect it, DONT FREAK OUT when we don’t have a center or RT nailed down after A day.

19 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Well Between Sammons 2 years in the system, with Ashley and Troxell (recovering from ACL surgery for a period of time) both having one year in the system. We need one tackle to step up to a RT starter and another tackle to be the next man up in case of an injury. 

As for center we got Kim 2 years in the system and Brahms 1 year in the system (recovering from broken leg also for a period of time).

We also have Sharp and Carr with 2 years in the system and Hamm with 1 year in the system (recovering from health issue for a period of time). These guys have had enough time, (Sharp/Carr, not Hamm), they need to step up like Harrell has done. They need to develop a mean streak and attitude and start stepping up or be resigned to fact that they are nothing more than a scrub.

Tucker Brown was a lineman turned TE this year, but at 6’3” and 288 it will be interesting to see if he gets moved back to the line. In years past the extra lineman was a gateway to a starting position the next year. Shon Coleman and Tega both did it..

I am not saying it is the best situation, I would swap a returning center for a returning guard in a heart beat,  but  LT, LG & RG returning (Tega, Harrell, Horton) is a good start. I mean, we could have it a lot worse.

I am sure CHH will do a LOT of player shuffling during the spring, so just expect it, DONT FREAK OUT when we don’t have a center or RT nailed down after A day.

I have been highly dissatisfied with the production of a lot of our OL recruits over the past three or four years.  Seems like we have a handful of 3 and 4 star linemen just eating schollys if you ask me. 

On 12/11/2017 at 8:23 AM, aujeff11 said:

We will have three straight games in Atlanta. Hope we close next year with two in ATL as well. We should be used to that place come the Washington game. 

2 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I had to look up who Jake Browning was... if that tells you how concerned I am 

He's one of the best returning QBs in the country (not better than ours, but very close, statistically). Our first game out of the gates won't be an easy one.

• 4 weeks later...

AU defense has some work ahead if it.....maybe the best offense we will see next season...or in the top 3. at least.:dunno:

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

AU defense has some work ahead if it.....maybe the best offense we will see next season...or in the top 3. at least.:dunno:

Sound like an ominous statement until you think about it and realize that, with all the turnover going on, staffs and players, it might not be very hard to be in the top 3 or even the best offense we face next year. 

Archived