AU Early NSD (Signees Are In Orange In The OP)

aujeff11

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Auburn has never, in all of its history, consistently out-recruited UAT, UGA, Florida or Tennessee. Yet our won/loss record against those schools is pretty darned good. As long as we're in the hunt with recruiting, the War Eagle will soar and we are definitely in the hunt this year.

Being a AU fan is the toughest job in sports. YES in reality I should be jumping off the roof and bouncing off the walls with excitement singing chasing waterfalls by tlc in excitement about how our recruiting class has gone. It is really dang good BUT when your 2 biggest rivals and competition did even better it just makes it hard. the sec title game was like getting crushed under a rock slide unexpectedly. I NEVER expected to lose that game. WE dominated the LOS the first game and I expected to the second game. When you have those rare chances at a title you got to execute. I really did think it was our year after the amen corner stretch. We played our worst game of the year at the worst time. That is hard to swallow after what we saw just a week before and 3 weeks before. I know KJ was hurt but I still expected to win.

10 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Any thought that he may be waiting to see where Ross and Schwartz appear to be heading?

Good question but there has been no talk of it since the 3 WRs have different skill sets & would play 3 different WR positions.

On 12/21/2017 at 7:55 AM, McLoofus said:

I get the feeling that Jib just kinda marches to his own beat. Maybe it's somewhat a cultural thing, but he just seems like a different breed of cat. This is obviously wild speculation on my part, as I don't know a single person who knows a single person who knows the guy. I can't quite articulate it, just feels a little bit different than any other recruitment I can remember. Not bad, just different. 

there was discussion in another thread about a possible laissez-faire fare attitude by some (including jibunor) - in light of cowart's resistance to CG coaching style, I hope jibunor will blossom from it.  I fear the opposite for some pessimistic reason.

On 12/21/2017 at 8:20 AM, Mikey said:

Maybe everything is cool with Jubinor, I wouldn't know. I do know his high school coaches and counselors, the ones that can communicate with him freely, didn't do him any favors. Again this may all work out ok, but I don't like it.

these guys should have this info and process completely locked down.  there is no excuse for the high school folks to not accurately enable this young man to understand and navigate this process.

on a side note, i completely understand jibunor wanting to share this with his classmates.  did he have any kind of commitment announcement?  if not then this makes sense.  the kids at our high school are allowed to go be present with their friends when the sign NLI's in different sports.  of course, selfishly,  I hope he video tapes himself with his cell phone, faxes it in today and shares with his classmates in january ... (BTW, someone take him to kinko's, the closest church or any dang business down the street ... im sure they would gladly let him use the dang fax.

Just now, mustache eagle said:

there was discussion in another thread about a possible laissez-faire fare attitude by some (including jibunor) - in light of cowart's resistance to CG coaching style, I hope jibunor will blossom from it.  I fear the opposite for some pessimistic reason.

I'm going to go full-on speculative again, so bear with me here. Just from what little information I've consumed, I got the impression that Cowart is a very sensitive and emotional dude. That is in no way an insult or otherwise negative observation on him. But it seems like that might lead to difficulty processing Garner's harsh critiques. 

Jibunor seems to me to be a little more happy-go-lucky or, as you say, laissez-faire. I think that could actually benefit somebody in dealing with Garner. Jib was in no hurry to commit. He doesn't seem to be in a hurry to sign. And he might not take Garner too seriously, either. It doesn't mean he's flippant, but it might allow him to process the information that Garner is communicating without getting wrapped up in the emotional side of it. 

Again, 100% speculation on my part. I will likely never know any more about these guys than what they look like and quotes they provide to beat writers. 

• Thanks 1

For those freaking out about Jib, he took the time on signing day to trash talk those signing with schools not named Auburn, especially those on the O-Line, on Twitter. I don't doubt his loyalties at all. He just does things his way and doesn't let the recruiting system dictate to him. I actually appreciate that vs. the guys who take it seriously and play games.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

For those freaking out about Jib, he took the time on signing day to trash talk those signing with schools not named Auburn, especially those on the O-Line, on Twitter. I don't doubt his loyalties at all. He just does things his way and doesn't let the recruiting system dictate to him. I actually appreciate that vs. the guys who take it seriously and play games.

This has been my impression, also, although I don't think I articulated it as well. 

On 12/21/2017 at 2:09 PM, AU64 said:

I guess there might be the upside that coaches don't have to make them "unlearn" bad habits.  If the talent and effort is there, might be OK to start with a fairly clean slate....especially guys on either side of the line....and the coach can teach then how he wants the game played.   JMO .

Well said... especially the unlearn bad habits part

On 12/21/2017 at 4:20 PM, PowerOfDixieland said:

No (you're not crazy).

But....every kid is potentially a project, if you know what I mean.  You can sign a #1 overall, can't miss, sure fire stud and still miss.  We had one leave the program mid-year.  That's one of the reasons, in spite of what the Updykes want, they don't actually give one effing thing for signing a great class.  The coaches actually have to coach and the kids have to put in the work and go out and earn it.  It's one of the things that makes college athletics so great. and makes us all crazy.  So check that, yeah you're crazy.

I liked this post up until the last part, lol.

At least you guys can see where I'm coming from.

On 12/22/2017 at 2:02 AM, GwillMac6 said:

Being a AU fan is the toughest job in sports. YES in reality I should be jumping off the roof and bouncing off the walls with excitement singing chasing waterfalls by tlc in excitement about how our recruiting class has gone. It is really dang good BUT when your 2 biggest rivals and competition did even better it just makes it hard. the sec title game was like getting crushed under a rock slide unexpectedly. I NEVER expected to lose that game. WE dominated the LOS the first game and I expected to the second game. When you have those rare chances at a title you got to execute. I really did think it was our year after the amen corner stretch. We played our worst game of the year at the worst time. That is hard to swallow after what we saw just a week before and 3 weeks before. I know KJ was hurt but I still expected to win.

Was watching some bowl preview stuff on ESPN and they commented that for the sec championship game GA put someone else in at guard than who they played in the first game.   Maybe that played a role in not dominating the line of scrimmage 

Good luck to them all and hope they get everything they have worked for  enjoyed them all during the time at Auburn  

So does any of the players leaving early for the draft open extra slots for recruits to sign this year. I believe 25 is the limit but I thought a school could actually sign more by counting some early enrollees to prior years numbers. I try to keep up with how all this works but just can’t recall the rules. 

1 hour ago, FUZZYAUFAN said:

Good luck to them all and hope they get everything they have worked for  enjoyed them all during the time at Auburn  

So does any of the players leaving early for the draft open extra slots for recruits to sign this year. I believe 25 is the limit but I thought a school could actually sign more by counting some early enrollees to prior years numbers. I try to keep up with how all this works but just can’t recall the rules. 

Players leaving has no effect on this year's limit. It creates openings on the overall 85 limit but that isn't a problem at Auburn  anyway. We have 25 or possibly 26 slots available this year, depending on who you listen to.

• Thanks 1

At this point, who would anyone say could be a signing day surprise?  I remember Big Cat being the 2017 signing day surprise. A nice couple of good surprises would make for an even better class!

3 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

At this point, who would anyone say could be a signing day surprise?  I remember Big Cat being the 2017 signing day surprise. A nice couple of good surprises would make for an even better class!

Even though AU is making up ground at this point I would still classify Barnes as a very nice NSD surprise if we get him.

5 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Hopefully it all comes full circle with Big Kat in that he gets one of his closest friends in Quay Walker to be the surprise signee this time.

• Like 1