Most Wins last 100 seasons

GwillMac6

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I live surrounded by large and about equal numbers of Clemson, USCe and UNC-CH fans and they kind of nullify each other ...and mostly I just keep my mouth shut  :)  

I will say this even then in 2013, that big group loved Dabo to death and he hadn’t done too much at that point. I don’t see Dabo leaving because he can be their God, their Bear Bryant to Bama. Don’t tbink he can have that kind of success at Bama or have that prestige.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

will say this even then in 2013, that big group loved Dabo to death and he hadn’t done too much at that point. I don’t see Dabo leaving because he can be their God, their Bear Bryant to Bama. Don’t tbink he can have that kind of success at Bama or have that prestige.

I think Dabo is too smart to ever take the bama job.   He would never be better than #3 in the hearts of bama fans...at least not in his lifetime.   Everything he did would be compared to how Bear or Kick did it.....he would get tired of that s*** pretty quickly I think.    

As you note, he's already made people forget Frank Howard and that was no small task. 

20 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I think Dabo is too smart to ever take the bama job.   He would never be better than #3 in the hearts of bama fans...at least not in his lifetime.   Everything he did would be compared to how Bear or Kick did it.....he would get tired of that s*** pretty quickly I think.    

As you note, he's already made people forget Frank Howard and that was no small task. 

Exactly, and any immediate success that he  has at Bama, he basically would have to share with Saban. How many people attribute Les Miles’s NC to Saban by saying “he won with Saban players?” A lot of people. Why would he want to bask in Saban’s greatness when he can bask in his own? 

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'm sure some historian some where does. However, the typical football fan probably doesn't care in the slightest about who won what 100 years ago.

You are free to be spokesman for "the typical football fan" but two platoon football 100 years ago was (safety equipment notwithstanding) in many ways MORE like football today than the WWII - 1960s era (when most players played both O AND D). Once you get into the Rockne era it's a very similar game. The real issue is respecting guys that played for colleges that were top tier/playing top tier schedules in their day like Yale when those colleges football have been lower tier in our lifetimes. Well, most of our lifetimes;D .

On 12/13/2017 at 7:32 AM, Mikey said:

You asked why they picked 1917. I replied because the poll was for 100 years. If you don't want Captain Obvious answers, don't pose 1st grade questions.

You sure are a sensitive little fella.  Paranoid much?

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

You sure are a sensitive little fella.  Paranoid much?

No, but you should understand that when you ask a simpleton's question there will be an obvious answer forthcoming.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

No, but you should understand that when you ask a simpleton's question there will be an obvious answer forthcoming.

100 is nice round number so why not?

And if you got back to the "beginning" you quickly find that the beginning point for most schools varies and prior to 1917 or there abouts teams did not seem to have standard schedules with mostly the same number of games.   And for those of us who like statistics it's pretty easy to calculate the average number of wins per season for 100 seasons.  

BUT of course.....an 8 win season in 1960 is more meaningful than an 8 win season in 2016..  In 1960 the 8 wins usually gets you into a pretty well respected bowl game  (unless you are in your fifth year of probation)  and in 2016 an 8 win season might get a coach fired. 

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

My question was sarcasm, Einstein.  I was taking a jab at the bammers, insuating it looked like something they may have started to improve their standing in a given statistic, not the OP.

10 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

My question was sarcasm, Einstein.  I was taking a jab at the bammers, insuating it looked like something they may have started to improve their standing in a given statistic, not the OP.

Mikey has issues. Just ignore it.  Like literally I have him on ignore but I guess I can still see when someone quotes him. I try to picture Mikey and I think he’s either the “get off my lawn” Clint Eastwood character or he’s 5 years old. Not sure which. 

53 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Mikey has issues. Just ignore it.  Like literally I have him on ignore but I guess I can still see when someone quotes him. I try to picture Mikey and I think he’s either the “get off my lawn” Clint Eastwood character or he’s 5 years old. Not sure which. 

Eastwood, but not with the 44 magnum. 12 gauge shotgun backed with a 45 cal. pistol.

On 12/15/2017 at 6:15 AM, OnthePlains said:

So basically @Mikey was the coolest 5 year old ever. :)

Archived