2018 3* OL Walker Culver (Va. Tech)

ellitor

11 minutes ago, auol72 said:

I am not going to debate it, but there was a reason we were better with Dunn at Center. Tall guys can pass block better for sure, but if we are going to run the offense we do now you better not have tall guards. Why do you think all the pull plays went to the right, pulling Harrel? Guys over about 6'4" have a hard time getting leverage and movement on 2/3 techniques. There are exceptions but very few. However, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

How is it an opinion if it’s been proven otherwise?

41 minutes ago, auol72 said:

I am not going to debate it, but there was a reason we were better with Dunn at Center. Tall guys can pass block better for sure, but if we are going to run the offense we do now you better not have tall guards. Why do you think all the pull plays went to the right, pulling Harrel? Guys over about 6'4" have a hard time getting leverage and movement on 2/3 techniques. There are exceptions but very few. However, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

1st. Relax. It's a civil adult discussion not a debate.

2nd. What you are saying is true as a general mode of thought. I was just saying Keith has pointed out there is a bit of a paradigm shift on that. I don't know about you and I will not presume to judge at all. but Keith knows a lot more than me about his football & evals & has a damn good track record of it.

3rd. You may be right that Culver is an OT all the way but it's at least interesting to note from the article in the OP that the AU staff has not said where they see Culver playing yet.

Sorry if my other post ruffled your feathers. All I'm trying to do is bring info as best I can.

That’s an interesting twist. I was thinking we wanted Culver at OT because we weren’t gonna take another OG unless he was a BEAST like TH. (that’s why I was thinking we liked Culver over Tank).   Not sure what to think now. ?‍♂️

3 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

hat’s why I was thinking we liked Culver over Tank

Tank hasn't had anything to do w/ Culver. The fit issues AU staff has had w/ Tank the past few months are completely separate. AU could take another run at him though like they did with Zakoby.

E feathers not ruffled no problem, your ausome for doing this. I do by the way no a little about playing OL at power 5 level and have scars to proove it. It is my belief that very few guys 6'5" or taller are superior run blockers at guard. They have a very difficult time obtaining leverage on big 2/3 techniques, its simple physics. There are exceptions going back in time Willie Anderson is an example. Think to 2013 and our tackle who went so high in the draft he was 6'4" and a great run blocker but struggled pass blocking in the pros. More and More teams are throwing it all over the place and not running power blocking schemes but shield and position schemes. Big tall guards are fine in that offense, but in a power offense like ours where the guards have to get movement and have to be able to pull and combo block tall guys struggle. Either way we have good guards on team now so no one we sign will be counted on immediatly unless its a juco guy that can play center. Tega, Sammons and Ashley should be able to play the tackle spots next year. Horton, Harrel, and maybe Carr should play guards. Whether Brahm and/or Kim can play winning ball at center is yet to be seen.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Biggest and most important question going into 2018 IMO. 

Better hope and pray one of them does 

We have no choice but for one of them or Horton if he can move inside to do it or we are in serious hurt. You can talk about tackles and wr and rb, etc., but only one guy touches the ball every play and its the center. Now maybe there is a juco guard they think can play center that we dont know about, but we BETTER find one by August!

1 minute ago, auol72 said:

We have no choice but for one of them or Horton if he can move inside to do it or we are in serious hurt. You can talk about tackles and wr and rb, etc., but only one guy touches the ball every play and its the center. Now maybe there is a juco guard they think can play center that we dont know about, but we BETTER find one by August!

Or get a Grad transfer like we did with Casey Dunn last year. I think it's more realistic we do that again if Kim, Bram, & Irvin aren't doing it at a good level.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Or get a Grad transfer like we did with Casey Dunn last year. I think it's more realistic we do that again if Kim, Bram, & Irvin aren't doing it at a good level.

I don't want this to be taken the wrong way, but...  I have some serious issues if Kaleb Kim is not ready for the starting job come next year.  He was an intelligent, 4*, road grader.  If he can't get coached up to be ready by his 3rd year in the system, then someone is not doing something right.  I know, I know...  Some kids just don't make the leap to SEC OL.  This kid was a beast though.  There is no excuse for him not to make it.

19 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

I don't want this to be taken the wrong way, but...  I have some serious issues if Kaleb Kim is not ready for the starting job come next year.  He was an intelligent, 4*, road grader.  If he can't get coached up to be ready by his 3rd year in the system, then someone is not doing something right.  I know, I know...  Some kids just don't make the leap to SEC OL.  This kid was a beast though.  There is no excuse for him not to make it.

I can agree with your statement. I remember CHH talking last spring about how he wished Harrell would take the LG position, but he never did. Now he eventually did after Horton got hurt and he has not looked back, which is good for us now.  I hope Kim does not take as long as Harrell to secure his spot, I guess is my point.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

RATZ! If I had to guess, I'd say we wanted him to wait around to see how the rest of this class pans out and he wanted to go somewhere that made him a high priority. Best of luck to him.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

RATZ! If I had to guess, I'd say we wanted him to wait around to see how the rest of this class pans out and he wanted to go somewhere that made him a high priority. Best of luck to him.

I am fine with this. Jalen Goss has a much higher ceiling and would probably be a take if we wanted him. 

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Possibly but we were hoping he would wait because we couldn't get him to OV before January since he was already visiting Va. Tech this weekend and we had just offered earlier this week.

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

Well damn, what we do now? We need tackles.

This was more his decision because he knew where he was on our board.

Jalen Goss and Jerome Carvin are the next two up. Probably Goss. We’re working hard on the Tackle committed to UF right now. 

24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Expect Goss

Goss is on hold right now. Likely has to wait on what Carvin does Wednesday, & maybe others too.

Archived