Pettway Out for Peach Bowl

PigskinPat

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

As a FA he might also have a better shot at selecting a team that needs a big back who can block...sometimes guys end up getting drafted by the wrong team and it can hold them back. 

Agree 1,000%

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Needs to find a team who utilizes the fullback role...I can see freaking Mike Shula already drooling all over this..

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

As a FA he might also have a better shot at selecting a team that needs a big back who can block...sometimes guys end up getting drafted by the wrong team and it can hold them back. 

This is more impactful than the contract IMO. Guys at the bottom of the draft and FA don't have much leverage either way. Unless he was  FA and blew up his 2nd and 3rd year and then got a BIG contract maybe that one year difference comes into play, but I don't really know if it makes a huge difference IMO.

2 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

This is more impactful than the contract IMO. Guys at the bottom of the draft and FA don't have much leverage either way. Unless he was  FA and blew up his 2nd and 3rd year and then got a BIG contract maybe that one year difference comes into play, but I don't really know if it makes a huge difference IMO.

might be an ego thing to say you got drafted  but IMO, at the lower levels you might as well be a FA and have more flexibility.  By the time the 3rd round rolls around there are small or no bonuses and nothing guaranteed. At that point the draft favors the teams much more than it favors a drafter player.  JMO

53 minutes ago, DAG said:

Needs to find a team who utilizes the fullback role...I can see freaking Mike Shula already drooling all over this..

Cowboys use a FB as well. Would be a nice line to be behind as well. 

10 minutes ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

Cowboys use a FB as well. Would be a nice line to be behind as well. 

As long as he could handle the Dallas culture..a lot of continuous drama there.

Hope he finds the right team in the league and feasts. He has pretty respectable 1 on 1 ability for his size and has that quick first burst. He likely wont get drafted, but there's quite a few teams that could use his size and solid pass blocking ability. 

17 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

My thing is that if he can't secure at best a 4th round pick by coming back then he should leave. He's already injury prone and plays a position with a short shelf life in the NFL. Say he goes 5th or 6th round vs. being a FA. Contract wise he'll be held to a 4 year contract being drafted vs a 3 year contract as a FA(correct me if i'm wrong). The 2nd contract is the biggest contract. If he leaves he'll at least save 1 year in age as the average age of RBs in the NFL 25/26. I'll be happy if he comes back. I'm just not as sure he'll be able to jump up far in the draft boards to justify it. 

You make a lot of sense. Just remember these NFL teams, know everything you’re saying. If he comes out this year, (which I know, he probably will) with his age and his injury, his contract totals are greatly reduced because the NFL owner’s etc... know his agent will have limited bargaining power.

I’m sure he’s thinking: if I come back to Auburn next year, what if I suffer a career ending injury? It all makes perfect sense. But from a financial standpoint, if he comes back next year and has even an above average season, he makes millions more.

The way I saw KP decleat defenders this year as a pass blocker, and how my Panthers suck at pass blocking I'd be all in on KP to Carolina. I'm just a novice fan so I have no idea how he projects at the next level at RB but Mccaffery and KP's contrasting styles could be pretty solid. Stewart is only going to get worse and CAP, as much as I love him, can barely get on the active gameday squad and there are no power runners on the team outside of Stew and CAP. As mentioned before by others he could also try to fit into the Tolbert role.

22 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I would hope so but i'm pretty concerned about Malik Miller's future at AU. As in....does he really have one? I've been eager to see this kid all season but for whatever reasons he gets no carries at all. I think it's hard to say: he can't block.....not a good enough RB when we've not been able to see what he can really do. Some of the same comments I've see about MM are the same ones that were said about previous RBs we've had that produced 1,000 yard seasons so i really hope to see what MM can actually do. 

At this point, i have it in my head that KJ will be ready for the bowl game and the game plan will be of course to ride him to a victory so Kam would be the only other RB i'd expect to see.

I agree to an extent. I believe MM has some issues reading holes that open up. Just my assessment from watching what little I've seen of him. Think KM should be used more like Onterrio was a few years back. Still baffled why Barrett has not had that many carries. He is fun to watch and seems to have really good hands too. I do think KJ goes pro and KP was a non factor all year so we can look forward to Asa Martin and hope we sign one more 200 lb plus back as well.  

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

The way I saw KP decleat defenders this year as a pass blocker, and how my Panthers suck at pass blocking I'd be all in on KP to Carolina. I'm just a novice fan so I have no idea how he projects at the next level at RB but Mccaffery and KP's contrasting styles could be pretty solid. Stewart is only going to get worse and CAP, as much as I love him, can barely get on the active gameday squad and there are no power runners on the team outside of Stew and CAP. As mentioned before by others he could also try to fit into the Tolbert role.

Cap should honestly be playing more. Again, the genius of Mike Shula. Jon had a great game last weekend but he is way too inconsistent . Cap can run between the tackles, has a better burst of speed than stew and actually can catch out of the backfield . But I digress .

1 hour ago, Deemer 47 said:

Still baffled why Barrett has not had that many carries.

I think the game is still slowing down for him. His feet got ahead of him a few times this year. I expect to see a lot more of him next year.  He appears to have the biggest upside of all of our backs.

Unfortunately there is a small market for a back like him. I feel sure he won't get drafted (more for the injuries than anything else). It make take him a couple of years to actually see the field but he has the talent , it's just finding the right fit. FA might be the best thing to happen to him.  

19 minutes ago, bg5 said:

Unfortunately there is a small market for a back like him. I feel sure he won't get drafted (more for the injuries than anything else). It make take him a couple of years to actually see the field but he has the talent , it's just finding the right fit. FA might be the best thing to happen to him.  

Yes it is a very small market, but I could see a team like Steelers take him ala Jerome Bettis.  And since so many compare KJ to Bell, he would make a great compliment to LB.

Can’t find the thread about KJ, but does anyone in the know, know about his availability?

Gus needs to develop some damn depth at RB in the offseason.

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Can’t find the thread about KJ, but does anyone in the know, know about his availability?

Gus needs to develop some damn depth at RB in the offseason.

How many do you think is necessary? We went into this season with the SEC's leading rusher returning, plus a fine versatile back in K. Johnson. Behind those two were a normal group of youngsters. What would you have done differently? (No 20-20 hindsight allowed)

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

How many do you think is necessary? We went into this season with the SEC's leading rusher returning, plus a fine versatile back in K. Johnson. Behind those two were a normal group of youngsters. What would you have done differently? (No 20-20 hindsight allowed)

Fair point, but we need to make sure we aren’t SOL on RBs next year.

I would have given the backups more reps.

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Especially after last season- it was just last season!- it's breathtakingly ignorant and naive to suggest that 2 RBs are enough to count on for a full season. And I'm being very kind with the words "ignorant" and "naive". It's as "ignorant" and "naive" as thinking that the key to beating Clemson or keeping a 20 point lead on the road is to avoid dangerous, risky things like first downs and points. 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Especially after last season- it was just last season!- it's breathtakingly ignorant and naive to suggest that 2 RBs are enough to count on for a full season. And I'm being very kind with the words "ignorant" and "naive". It's as "ignorant" and "naive" as thinking that the key to beating Clemson or keeping a 20 point lead on the road is to avoid dangerous, risky things like first downs and points. 

Us "Gus haters" want to have faith in him but to do stuff like this repeatedly is not acceptable. These are mistakes and people learn from them but Gus will turn around and do this stuff again and again and it therefore leaves many distraught fans. I don't want to start a string of gus bashing posts because that has been done ad nauseam ...I just want better for the team.

Edit- Plus might I add that he did seem to be grooming Barrett in the fall camp to be the 3rd string guy but what happened? I thought this year would be different in that regard.

On 12/14/2017 at 8:48 AM, AU-24 said:

You make a lot of sense. Just remember these NFL teams, know everything you’re saying. If he comes out this year, (which I know, he probably will) with his age and his injury, his contract totals are greatly reduced because the NFL owner’s etc... know his agent will have limited bargaining power.

I’m sure he’s thinking: if I come back to Auburn next year, what if I suffer a career ending injury? It all makes perfect sense. But from a financial standpoint, if he comes back next year and has even an above average season, he makes millions more.

I just view it differently. I don't think he does enough to make "millions" more b/c the type of RB he's likely to be in the NFL with or without an extra year. 

Archived