Pettway Out for Peach Bowl

PigskinPat

56 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

In spite of all the noise about what we should’ve or could’ve done in the SECCG, it was still just 13-7 after 3 quarters. Gus seems to have made some big progress this season and proved that our roster can and should compete with the top SEC teams. I need to see those lessons Gus learned play out in a decisive Peach Bowl win. Also, I think Kam Martin is pretty good. He’s over 100 carries in his career now and averaging almost 7 years per carry. I know some of that is in mop up duty, but him and Barrett both have a great burst where they are 5 and 6 yards downfield before you know it. I’m hoping to see more of both of them in the Bowl Game. 

What seems to happen with Kam is he hits them in his mouth with his speed for a really good gain, and then the D adjusts and he has a hard time keeping it up if we keep running him, at least against fresh defenses. He's great as a change of pace to rip off a big run when the D is used to seeing Kerryon or Pettway (interesting note... if you look at most teams #3 back, they always seem to have a lot more yards per carry).  

Hopefully he's getting some pointers from Kerryon on patience, as that should serve him well with his skill set. If he can wait for the hole, or master bouncing off and switching paths, with his acceleration, he could become a premiere back. Of course, we'll have to change our play calling, because he's never going to be a "carry the D for 5 yards/knock them out of his way" kind of back, thus why he's always subbed out on the goal line.

I like Barrett a lot. Every time I saw him with the ball, it just looked like he was a step away from taking it to the house. He just needs to get that last step... and a little more body control when he's playing full speed. 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

What seems to happen with Kam is he hits them in his mouth with his speed for a really good gain,

Agreed. He is a perfect guy to put in after Kerryon has reeled off a big run and we are trying to go fast. Also agree on Barrett. He's going to be a threat to take it to the house a lot next year. 

On 12/18/2017 at 8:56 PM, Gowebb11 said:

Agreed. He is a perfect guy to put in after Kerryon has reeled off a big run and we are trying to go fast. Also agree on Barrett. He's going to be a threat to take it to the house a lot next year. 

i dont think substituting on offense is how Auburn goes fast.  

7 hours ago, auskip07 said:

We sub our WRs in and out all the time. We can spell a RB after a big run, in fact it feels like a lot of teams do this for every position except QB and OL. 

Or if you don't want to spell the RB after a play where he runs 50 yards maybe we can rest him for a few downs after he gets his 15th consecutive carry in one half

On 12/20/2017 at 12:13 PM, auskip07 said:

Folks keep saying this and I agree during a drive, but there is no reason not to shift runners between drives. Also after a back just went 30 yardsfor a first down we could try something else besides hurrying up to hand it right back to that back again. Who knows.

6 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

UA and UGA seem to rotate backs perfectly fine. I'll never understand why we can't. 

UGA backs are more near equal and nothing lost when one is pulled for the other.......as for bama....Hurts was their leading ball carrier in terms of rushes ....and the other backs in the games I saw were not rotated....but mostly went into the game based on situations.   

Not many teams rotate backs on alternate plays from my observation.  And as noted above, substituting after a play slows down the offense and UGA took full advantage of our substitutions to bring in a sub each time and did it very slowwwwly.     Refs stood over the ball until UGA was set which gave their players time to rest between snaps. Thus,  with KJ ailing, we never did get in position where we could wear down their DL by running a fast succession of plays. 

Next year should be fun when Asa hits the field. The little guy shivers will get lost in the backfield and could gain some big yards before they realize he has the ball. When is the date that KJ has to announce whether he will be back for 2018? I would love to see him back along with Mr. Holland. If they go, I cannot blame them either. I hate to be selfish and wish the best for these young men who have given us so much joy this year. I hope KJ is close to 100% and welcomes UCF to big boy football.

44 minutes ago, AU64 said:

UGA backs are more near equal and nothing lost when one is pulled for the other.......as for bama....Hurts was their leading ball carrier in terms of rushes ....and the other backs in the games I saw were not rotated....but mostly went into the game based on situations.   

Not many teams rotate backs on alternate plays from my observation.  And as noted above, substituting after a play slows down the offense and UGA took full advantage of our substitutions to bring in a sub each time and did it very slowwwwly.     Refs stood over the ball until UGA was set which gave their players time to rest between snaps. Thus,  with KJ ailing, we never did get in position where we could wear down their DL by running a fast succession of plays. 

I thought, at least in our game with them, that the Bama OC relied too much on Hurts ability to run and when that didn't happen it resulted in too many 3 and outs for them.  I thought that they underutilized their RBs most of the game, to our benefit.  

We, on the other hand, have got to have at least 2 RBs that the coaches trust, for every game.  Who else but Auburn would run their primary RB in to the ground against a Mercer?

I don't even see how anyone can make a true evaluation of Kam Martin's individual ability. He is only averaging 5 carries per game. Against Clemson, LSU and Mississippi State he had Zero attempts. He had a total of 10 Attempts in the three games we played against UGA and Bama. There is no way off such little data any of us can truly evaluate what he is capable of handling. I will say what little opportunity he has had, he does average about 6 yards per carry throughout the year. To put this in even further perspective, KP has played 5 games and has  8 more attempts than him.

11 hours ago, AU64 said:

Not many teams rotate backs on alternate plays from my observation.  

But why aren't we rotating them by possession, you think? If we just don't have the horses, then we need to recruit better. But I don't think that's it. 

28 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

But why aren't we rotating them by possession, you think? If we just don't have the horses, then we need to recruit better. But I don't think that's it. 

My only thought is that other than KJ...the guys are not reliable blockers for the passing game...but we could do more of it.

On 12/23/2017 at 9:58 AM, mustache eagle said:

Any definitive knowledge on why KP isn’t playing the bowl game?  I assume going pro and doesn’t want to play in the bowl?  Dog house?  Not still injuries right?  Other?

I don’t think definitive knowledge can exist unless you’re talking to someone who is close to the party at hand. The theory (that has heavy circulation here) that he’s leaving to support his family makes a lot more sense. 

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 2:15 AM, DAG said:

I don't even see how anyone can make a true evaluation of Kam Martin's individual ability. He is only averaging 5 carries per game. Against Clemson, LSU and Mississippi State he had Zero attempts. He had a total of 10 Attempts in the three games we played against UGA and Bama. There is no way off such little data any of us can truly evaluate what he is capable of handling. I will say what little opportunity he has had, he does average about 6 yards per carry throughout the year. To put this in even further perspective, KP has played 5 games and has  8 more attempts than him.

I'm thinking the coaches can since they see him practice every day..  They probably know his shortcomings and attributes much better than any one seeing him play spot duty in football games ever could know.  JMO  

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t think definitive knowledge can exist unless you’re talking to someone who is close to the party at hand. The theory (that has heavy circulation here) that he’s leaving to support his family makes a lot more sense. 

You know, I didn’t even think about that.  I’m all for a guy doing what he can for his family.  Seems every couple years we have a guy who might benefit coming back for his senior year but goes pro to make some cash for his family.  Auburn will always have them back to finish their degrees.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

I'm thinking the coaches can since they see him practice every day..  They probably know his shortcomings and attributes much better than any one seeing him play spot duty in football games ever could know.  JMO  

Either you are trying to be extremely sarcastic or extremely obtuse, as most people, if they have any type of critical thinking abilities, knew I was referencing the folks on this forum. No way can anyone on this forum even have an iota of what KM is capable of, so to even speak about what he needs to improve on or what he needs to do to get more reps on the field is laughable. There is hardly any sufficient data to speak of otherwise.You included unless YOU are at those practices. What most people are saying however, is just to have a back up plan in case your primary is freaking injured or dead dog tired. And we know it’s just your opinion, you don’t have to say that on every post. 

8 hours ago, DAG said:

Either you are trying to be extremely sarcastic or extremely obtuse, as most people, if they have any type of critical thinking abilities, knew I was referencing the folks on this forum. No way can anyone on this forum even have an iota of what KM is capable of, so to even speak about what he needs to improve on or what he needs to do to get more reps on the field is laughable. There is hardly any sufficient data to speak of otherwise.You included unless YOU are at those practices. What most people are saying however, is just to have a back up plan in case your primary is freaking injured or dead dog tired. And we know it’s just your opinion, you don’t have to say that on every post. 

not being either....just seeing comments that seem to imply that coaches don't know what's he's capable of ....or he would be playing more.   Sorry but I must have misinterpreted your comment. 

He gets regular playing time...not as much as some might wish....but I don't to be at practice to see what's he's capable of....just saying that the coaches are paid to make the best use of the players and I trust they have a reason for what the do. 

And he has enough experience to be a reasonable back-up which he has been for the entire season but I don't see him as a starter (ever) or even an interchangeable back for KJ or maybe even Miller in the future.    

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

not being either....just seeing comments that seem to imply that coaches don't know what's he's capable of ....or he would be playing more.   Sorry but I must have misinterpreted your comment. 

He gets regular playing time...not as much as some might wish....but I don't to be at practice to see what's he's capable of....just saying that the coaches are paid to make the best use of the players and I trust they have a reason for what the do. 

And he has enough experience to be a reasonable back-up which he has been for the entire season but I don't see him as a starter (ever) or even an interchangeable back for KJ or maybe even Miller in the future.    

Fair enough even though I disagree with your last statement on the basis that there is not enough physical data to make such an assertion one way or another. 

Either way, I hope you have a merry Christmas.

On 12/21/2017 at 8:53 PM, doc4aday said:

When is the date that KJ has to announce whether he will be back for 2018?

Underclassmen have until Jan. 15 to file declaration papers with the NFL. The draft will take place on April 26-28 in Arlington, Texas, at AT&T Stadium. Below is the list of underclassmen who have forfeited their remaining years of eligibility to enter the NFL draft.

Names current as of Dec. 23, 2017.

Mark Walton, RB, Miami
DeShon Elliott, S, Texas
Derwin James, S, Florida State
Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
Royce Freeman, RB, Oregon
Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise State
Quadree Henderson, WR, Pittsburgh
Holton Hill, CB, Texas
Jack Cichy, LB, Wisconsin
JC Jackson, CB, Maryland
Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado
Connor Williams, OT, Texas
Richie James, WR, Middle Tennessee State
Maea Teuhema, G, Southeastern Louisiana
Brian O'Neill, OT, Pittsburgh
Antonio Callaway, WR, Florida
Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina
Taven Bryan, DL, Florida
D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland
Eddy Pineiro, K, Florida
Jordan Whitehead, S, Pittsburgh

Wow, three from Texas and three from Florida, both teams with poor records. Talk about under-achieving! My favorite in that department was once long ago (1979) the Gators finished 0-10-1 and had 10 players drafted. That  should have been a tough trick to pull off.

37 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Wow, three from Texas and three from Florida, both teams with poor records. Talk about under-achieving! My favorite in that department was once long ago (1979) the Gators finished 0-10-1 and had 10 players drafted. That  should have been a tough trick to pull off.

Yep...first things I thought was....what do these guys have in common?  .......and first reaction was......most of them are playing for teams that are not going anywhere.    That may change in the next couple weeks but I'm thinking not much. 

Not saying that's always the case, but lately seems that players who have an important role with their team....or whose team has good prospects for the coming year are willing to stick around for their senior year and enjoy the success. 

Archived