GOP Tax Bill screws small business to favor large corporations

TitanTiger

Just now, Proud Tiger said:

Anything anyone says that you don't agree with is dodging. I'm thru trying to have an intelligent discussion on this. I should know better than to try.

You haven't agreed or disagreed.  You simply haven't answered the question.  

And you always throw up your hands and act like the person calling you out on your hypocrisy is somehow being obtuse and only giving you a hard time because they don't like your opinions.  

Answer the question.  Explain why your stance isn't hypocritical.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

You haven't agreed or disagreed.  You simply haven't answered the question.  

And you always throw up your hands and act like the person calling you out on your hypocrisy is somehow being obtuse and only giving you a hard time because they don't like your opinions.  

Answer the question.  Explain why your stance isn't hypocritical.

I'm hypocritical. Does that make you happy. Your ego is so overwhelming that you always have to be right. So run along and be happy. You won:drippingsarcasm7pa:

3 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Anything anyone says that you don't agree with is dodging. I'm thru trying to have an intelligent discussion on this. I should know better than to try.

Pssst:  This is a written forum.  Back track all you want, but your arguments are a matter of record.  As is your dodging.

I'm hypocritical. Does that make you happy. Your ego is so overwhelming that you always have to be right. 

You offered a logically inconsistent and hypocritical argument.  To act like I'm the bad guy for pointing that out to you and pressing you to either admit it or explain why that is not the case is not "always having to be right."  It's called adult discussion. It's the minimum of what's expected from someone to seriously engage on a topic or importance.  If that's too tall an order for you, let me suggest you stick to sports. 

13 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

You offered a logically inconsistent and hypocritical argument.  To act like I'm the bad guy for pointing that out to you and pressing you to either admit it or explain why that is not the case is not "always having to be right."  It's called adult discussion. It's the minimum of what's expected from someone to seriously engage on a topic or importance.  If that's too tall an order for you, let me suggest you stick to sports. 

Look Brad_ATX made a simple post saying 55% of Americans disapprove of "the" tax bill. I simply responded that I doubt 55% have even read the tax bill they disapprove of. That's my OPINION and I stick by that. I also said I haven't read it OR expressed an opinion on it.What is your problem with that and why can't you carry on a civil conversation without getting into insults?

Look Brad_ATX made a simple post saying 55% of Americans disapprove of "the" tax bill. I simply responded that I doubt 55% have even read the tax bill they disapprove of. That's my OPINION and I stick by that. What is your problem with that and why can't you carry on a civil conversation without getting into insults?

I'm not insulting you, I'm insulting your arguments.  I didn't say you are an idiot, I say your arguments are logically inconsistent and hypocritical.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with me pointing out that 1) it doesn't matter that a final bill isn't out yet because we have bills available now that have passed the House and Senate that are now being reconciled and 2) having read the entire thing is not a prerequisite to having an opinion on a bill. 

If for instance I know there's a bill that's on some aspect of health care but I find from reading a portion of it that it tries to insert language that repeals the Hyde Amendment (which prohibits taxpayer funding of abortions).  It is completely reasonable for me to speak out against the bill on that basis alone, even if I haven't read the entire thing.  And that is all that is happening here.  People are finding out about certain things in these bills, as they stand right now, that are objectionable.  

So in pointing out that I'm sure you have, and will likely continue to do, the same thing I wasn't saying that you can't have an opinion on a bill without reading the entire final draft.  I was simply saying that you need to be consistent.

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

People are finding out about certain things in these bills, as they stand right now, that are objectionable.  

I agree with that and never said anything to the contrary. In fact I got an e-mail from Tim Jackson this morning with info concerning some possible implications to TUF that I don't like since I buy 8 season books. My tax guy in Auburn in essence prepared the e-mail for Tim.

2 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I agree with that and never said anything to the contrary. In fact I got an e-mail from Tim Jackson this morning with info concerning some possible implications to TUF that I don't like since I buy 8 season books.

But you did, by implication.  When you say that you dismiss the opinions of anyone who hasn't read the final bill in its entirety, you're saying that their objections are invalid or irrelevant.  And that's not true, by your own later admission.  So in your view it's ok to raise objections or oppose a bill based on a portion that you do know about, even if you haven't read the entire thing or the bill isn't in final draft yet?

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

But you did, by implication.  When you say that you dismiss the opinions of anyone who hasn't read the final bill in its entirety, you're saying that their objections are invalid or irrelevant.  And that's not true, by your own later admission.  So in your view it's ok to raise objections or oppose a bill based on a portion that you do know about, even if you haven't read the entire thing or the bill isn't in final draft yet?

Whatever conclusion you want to make is fine with me. I'm done.

Whatever conclusion you want to make is fine with me. I'm done.

Why do you have such a hard time when someone forces you to examine your assumptions and logic?

11 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

But in this case it isn't both parties.  It's one party that is struggling mightily to ram this bill through before Christmas and it's a party-line vote.

image.png

On 12/15/2017 at 11:36 AM, Proud Tiger said:

I agree with that and never said anything to the contrary. In fact I got an e-mail from Tim Jackson this morning with info concerning some possible implications to TUF that I don't like since I buy 8 season books. My tax guy in Auburn in essence prepared the e-mail for Tim.

Here is the form letter that everyone got:

Thank you for your investment in the Tigers Unlimited Foundation. Your support continues to have an impact on our more than 500 student-athletes in the classroom and in competition.

As we approach the end of the 2017 tax year, there is pending legislation in Congress that could impact the deductibility of future priority seating contributions.

The Internal Revenue Code section 170(I) currently allows for 80% of a donation paid for seating at an athletic event in an athletic stadium of an institution of higher learning to be considered a charitable contribution. The proposed tax legislation eliminates this provision. Auburn’s leadership has expressed the university’s concerns to the Alabama congressional delegation. However, should this new legislation become law, future ticket priority donations to the Tigers Unlimited Foundation may no longer be considered tax-deductible.

The 2018 TUF-Football contribution renewal period opened on December 1. We encourage you to consult with your tax advisor to determine if making your 2018 football contribution prior to December 31, 2017, is to your advantage. Although the deadline is March 1, 2018, if you would like to make your payment before this tax year ends, please click HERE (you will need your TU ID# and personally selected password to log in to your account).

Renew Today

At this time we do not anticipate making any changes to our ticket priority programs (baseball, men’s basketball and football) but we will continue to monitor the potential changes in tax regulations over the next few weeks and will keep you informed as we move through the process.

As always, our staff members are ready to assist and happy to answer any questions you may have related to your philanthropic support of Auburn Athletics. You may contact me or any member of our team at 1-855-282-2010 extension 2 or TUF@auburn.edu.

Thank you for your continued support of Auburn Athletics. You are making a difference in the lives of our student-athletes.

War Eagle!

Tim Jackson

Tim Jackson 
Executive Director 
Tigers Unlimited Foundation

On 12/15/2017 at 5:34 AM, TitanTiger said:

The writer is an accountant who has actually read the bill.  This is the kind of crap that ticks me off.  You try to ram a bill through before people can read it fully (anyone remember the ACA?) so people can't figure out the tricks you're trying to pull.

You are so right Titan. How many people would read it? a must to get major legislation passed.

7 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Here is the form letter that everyone got:

Thank you for your investment in the Tigers Unlimited Foundation. Your support continues to have an impact on our more than 500 student-athletes in the classroom and in competition.

As we approach the end of the 2017 tax year, there is pending legislation in Congress that could impact the deductibility of future priority seating contributions.

The Internal Revenue Code section 170(I) currently allows for 80% of a donation paid for seating at an athletic event in an athletic stadium of an institution of higher learning to be considered a charitable contribution. The proposed tax legislation eliminates this provision. Auburn’s leadership has expressed the university’s concerns to the Alabama congressional delegation. However, should this new legislation become law, future ticket priority donations to the Tigers Unlimited Foundation may no longer be considered tax-deductible.

The 2018 TUF-Football contribution renewal period opened on December 1. We encourage you to consult with your tax advisor to determine if making your 2018 football contribution prior to December 31, 2017, is to your advantage. Although the deadline is March 1, 2018, if you would like to make your payment before this tax year ends, please click HERE (you will need your TU ID# and personally selected password to log in to your account).

Renew Today

At this time we do not anticipate making any changes to our ticket priority programs (baseball, men’s basketball and football) but we will continue to monitor the potential changes in tax regulations over the next few weeks and will keep you informed as we move through the process.

As always, our staff members are ready to assist and happy to answer any questions you may have related to your philanthropic support of Auburn Athletics. You may contact me or any member of our team at 1-855-282-2010 extension 2 or TUF@auburn.edu.

Thank you for your continued support of Auburn Athletics. You are making a difference in the lives of our student-athletes.

War Eagle!

Tim Jackson

Tim Jackson 
Executive Director 
Tigers Unlimited Foundation

Is TUF an investment?

This bill is crap. CBO estimates it will increase our deficit by 1.4 trillion dollars over next ten years. Republicans talk big about being fiscally conservative and balancing the budget. I call BS on that. This is so American of us, to give Americans more money to spend in the present while mortgaging our children's future. Sad. I stand to gain THOUSANDS of dollars from this bill, but I still don't like it. Just spoke with the treasurer of a very large corporation here in Louisiana who is a big time republican and never says anything negative about President Trump and even he had a hard time defending it. 

If we could have at least thrown in a bunch of spending cuts in the bill to balance out the refunds and tax breaks, it might have actually worked. 

Wait, so are we all saying that the politicians who are supposed to represent us are, in fact, doing whatever they want to do? Everyone here knows that the republicans are scumbags and the democrats are scumbags. When the dems were pushing through Obamacare and the people were against it they didn't care. Now that the repubs are pushing through their tax plan they don't care what the people think either.

One of the best things about reading the posts of the more liberal folks on this board is that I realize that the more conservative folks on this board were saying EXACTLY THE SAME THING when Obama was president. I truly hope that watching people react to Trump's presidency makes me less of a hypocrite in the future.

Marco Rubio chiming in, saying corporations "probably" got too big of a break.  Gee, imagine that.  Now that legislators are sitting back and reflecting, which they should have done during the process instead of rushing the bill, they're beginning to see issues.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/rubio-gop-tax-bill-‘probably-went-too-far’-on-helping-corporations/ar-BBHuujk?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Archived