General Early NSD Thoughts (Non-AU specific)

AU64

OK...guess the next question is....what effect will this early signing day have on the lesser teams....even in the power 5 who often are waiting to see which kids don't get their favorite school..... and why would anyone commit to UAB or Southern Miss  in December when there still could be a chance for a bigger school to make a last minute call? 

Will this day mostly be news for the top 20 teams?.....I have that feeling...but could be reading the situation incorrectly.:dunno:

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

68% of the class wrapped up before January...that's kind of nice.  I can see why the pay sites are freaking out b/c of less drama to write about.

14 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

68% of the class wrapped up before January...that's kind of nice.  I can see why the pay sites are freaking out b/c of less drama to write about.

Good point. I never thought about the ramifications of the early signing period on the pay sites. That industry will have to adjust for sure. 

Might have to double down on the importance of 3* Joe Schmoes that are left which might make future recruits want the added attention  

9 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

What I want to know is, does Saban love it or hate it. If he hates it, then I love it, because it means that it's throwing a wrench into his machine.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Good point. I never thought about the ramifications of the early signing period on the pay sites. That industry will have to adjust for sure. 

Might have to double down on the importance of 3* Joe Schmoe which might make future recruits want the added attention  

They've been toting the "it's a mess" banner and quoting every kid/coach with that opinion.  Of course this year's early signing period is a mess - it's new and no one has figured out the nuances of the game yet.  Most new processes first reveal as a mess until folks get comfortable with the change.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

what effect will this early signing day have on the lesser teams....even in the power 5 who often are waiting to see which kids don't get their favorite school.

Less late poaching from P5 teams in February scrambling to add kids late. G5 schools will get some of their kids signed this week.

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Haven't heard them freak out at it.. Keith for example is indifferent on an early NSD.

31 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

They've been toting the "it's a mess" banner and quoting every kid/coach with that opinion.  Of course this year's early signing period is a mess - it's new and no one has figured out the nuances of the game yet.  Most new processes first reveal as a mess until folks get comfortable with the change.

I've seen 1 article like that.

47 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I've seen 1 article like that.

Then I must be seeing the same articles and coaches/players quotes getting retweeted over and over.  Between all the AU recruiting junkies that I follow...its possible my perception is off.

5 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Then I must be seeing the same articles and coaches/players quotes getting retweeted over and over.  Between all the AU recruiting junkies that I follow...its possible my perception is off.

Your perception may be right. I'm just saying I've seen only 1 article. And even though I follow everyone on twitter. The only tweets I see are from AU sports & recruiting reporters so I have a limited scope.

Yahoo piece noted that several schools will sign just bout their entire 2018 class this week.....so nothing in Feb for ESPN to follow .....and AU's 2/3rds looks pretty typical it seems.      Lots of coaches are either working on bowl game practice and recruiting for 2019 the next few weeks...having pretty much gotten their 2018 class.    Sounds to me that the sports media is the big loser in this change of scheme. 

Very few breathless commitment scenes of players swapping hats around at the all star games or in their high school gyms if , as I read, most of the really top guys will sign up this week. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Yahoo piece noted that several schools will sign just bout their entire 2018 class this week.....so nothing in Feb for ESPN to follow .....and AU's 2/3rds looks pretty typical it seems.      Lots of coaches are either working on bowl game practice and recruiting for 2019 the next few weeks...having pretty much gotten their 2018 class.    Sounds to me that the sports media is the big loser in this change of scheme. 

Very few breathless commitment scenes of players swapping hats around at the all star games or in their high school gyms if , as I read, most of the really top guys will sign up this week. 

Do you think the circus will follow the kids to December next year, or do you think it will take longer?

Just now, McLoofus said:

Do you think the circus will follow the kids to December next year, or do you think it will take longer?

Interesting question.....thinking it might be harder to do while most/many of the players are still playing HS ball and then the holidays could be a factor.   With any luck in my view, we will be seeing the end of all of the contrived "commitment" ceremonies .....but I'm sure that more creative minds than I possess will find a way to make some air time for the kids who are looking for a little last minute publicity.   

Just now, AU64 said:

Interesting question.....thinking it might be harder to do while most/many of the players are still playing HS ball and then the holidays could be a factor.   With any luck in my view, we will be seeing the end of all of the contrived "commitment" ceremonies .....but I'm sure that more creative minds than I possess will find a way to make some air time for the kids who are looking for a little last minute publicity.   

Agreed. Probably still some nonsense, but hopefully kept to a dull roar because of the logistical concerns you mention. Also, there won't be the 2 months of offseason (read: quiet news cycle) for the approaching NSD to hold the almost undivided attention of Joe CFB Fan. 

Glad you brought it up. I've been thinking about how that aspect of it would change. Curious what others think and to see it play out.

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Sounds to me that the sports media is the big loser in this change of scheme. 

And the kids stuck on teams who lose their HC or coordinators the next couple of months.

Just now, ellitor said:

And the kids stuck on teams who lose their HC or coordinators the next couple of months.

Might be more of that than in the past but I recall that most years there are guys who leave after the recruiting is done...like DC  ....but one thing that is expected to happen is for the assistant coaching changes to take place earlier.....no need to wait until February to take off to your new team. .

But guess it's an open question if we will see more instances where kids send in the letter and then find the guy who recruited them is headed elsewhere.     Schools without their HC would seem to be in the worst shape in my view......unknown HC for next year and probably a mostly unknown staff too.     Kids would really be taking a risk....unless.....they just want to go to a specific school and aren't too worried about who the coach might be.   

Some schools (and we know who they are) could recruit a top 10 class with no coaching staff. JMO

19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

E, I've seen you post on this several times now. I greatly respect and appreciate everything you bring to this site. However, I just disagree with you on this subject. For one I believe the players should be signing with the school and not the coach, very high probability they won't finish their time at the school they choose under the same coach anyway. Secondly, no one is forcing them to sign now or on signing day or at all. Many recruits sign on signing day to "get it over with" because their tired of the game. They want to relieve the pressure being put on by coaches. Others drag it out longer to make sure they're making the right decision. That's their right and nothing wrong with that, but the idea that the early signing period puts "too much pressure" on these kids is silly to me. 

29 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

For one I believe the players should be signing with the school and not the coach,

Yes they should but the reality is they don't & it's about time we in the real world & the NCAA acknowledge it. It's the coaches who giev them the scholarships for their athletic gifts. If the coaches didn't want them then a lot of these kids would not be able to go to college otherwise.

Secondly, no one is forcing them to sign now or on signing day or at all.

With due respect this is total bull. Most staff are puting heavy pressure on the kids to sign & sign early. It's the name of the game.

pressure being put on by coaches.

Lol. You just said otherwise.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

What I want to know is, does Saban love it or hate it. If he hates it, then I love it, because it means that it's throwing a wrench into his machine.

He made it very plain yesterday that he hates it. So like you, I love it!

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yes they should but the reality is they don't & it's about time we in the real world & the NCAA acknowledge it. It's the coaches who giev them the scholarships for their athletic gifts. If the coaches didn't want them then a lot of these kids would not be able to go to college otherwise.

With due respect this is total bull. Most staff are puting heavy pressure on the kids to sign & sihn early.

Lol. You just said otherwise.

Not trying to pick a fight, just disagree with you. 

Pressuring a kid is not forcing them. Kids get pressure to do drugs, doesn't mean they're forced. And you're correct for many it is their only way to go to college and I would bet most of those who recognize that opportunity aren't complaining but jumping on the opportunity. 

War Eagle E! Keep up the good work. I do appreciate what you do here. 

3 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

Not trying to pick a fight, just disagree with you. 

Right.  I don't see it as a fight either.

4 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

Pressuring a kid is not forcing them. Kids get pressure to do drugs, doesn't mean they're forced.

Sign early or you lose your spot is pretty intense "pressure" for some kids.

7 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

And you're correct for many it is their only way to go to college and I would bet most of those who recognize that opportunity aren't complaining but jumping on the opportunity. 

Yes & they should be able to at least have their 1st college season be with a coach that wants them if they so choose & not be stuck with one who may not want them.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Right.  I don't see it as a fight either.

Yes & they should be able to at least have their 1st college season be with a coach that wants them if they so choose & not be stuck with one who may not want them.

And to me it's simple if that is your best opportunity to get an education you sign and take the opportunity.

We will just have to agree to disagree. War Eagle!

1 minute ago, Jgarrett7 said:

And to me it's simple if that is your best opportunity to get an education you sign and take the opportunity.

And if your skillset doesn't fit the needs of the new coach that's a year blown you don't get back.

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

25 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

There is literally nothing a coach can do about that. Coaches have to fill a class, so if an equally skilled recruit is wanting to join the class, they are obviously going to pull the spot from the indecisive recruits that need time.

Otherwise, they could be stuck with the indecisive saying no thanks later on, and the eager recruit that is equally talented already scooped up somewhere else.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

And if your skillset doesn't fit the needs of the new coach that's a year blown you don't get back.

What new coach? You can hypothetical everything to death but the status quo doesn’t appear to change any time soon. Even if Horton did leave, thats not going to affect Hill much.

Archived