General Early NSD Thoughts (Non-AU specific)

AU64

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

And if your skillset doesn't fit the needs of the new coach that's a year blown you don't get back.

I look at as if there are 2 groups of recruits. Ball-first and Education-first. If you're ball first then you should wait it out and sign with the school that best fits you and if you're good enough they will wait for you. If education first then you sign with the school that best fits you when you have the chance. If you're not good enough they will save your spot then you probably need to reevaluate. I just don't have much pity for the prima donna types and such. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

I look at as if there are 2 groups of recruits. Ball-first and Education-first. If you're ball first then you should wait it out and sign with the school that best fits you and if you're good enough they will wait for you. If education first then you sign with the school that best fits you when you have the chance. If you're not good enough they will save your spot then you probably need to reevaluate. I just don't have much pity for the prima donna types and such. 

Yes but as I stated before that "ideal" is not necessarily real world based. Reality is mass majority sign because of their relationship to a coach, not a school.

To be clear, I'm fine with those like Hill and Miller waiting it out. That's their right to do so. And their seat on the bus is saved. I'm just saying I don't buy the whole idea that the early signing period makes it that much tougher on the recruits is all. 

1 minute ago, Jgarrett7 said:

I'm just saying I don't buy the whole idea that the early signing period makes it that much tougher on the recruits is all. 

And that's your right to do so.

34 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

To be clear, I'm fine with those like Hill and Miller waiting it out. That's their right to do so. And their seat on the bus is saved

I’m fine with it as well. But Hill and Miller have their spots saved only because there are not prospects of their talent and position beating on the doors to come play for Auburn right now. However, if recruits like Kameron Stutts wanted to play the waiting game, you can bet the coaches wouldn’t save their spot. 

I like it. 

For players, if they’re ready, they can go ahead and get it over with and have everyone else leave them alone.  If they aren’t ready or they want to see what happens with coaching moves, etc. they can wait til Feb.  

For coaches, it helps them see who is serious about being part of the class, who’s not, etc. Then they can reevaluate and develop some plan Bs where it’s necessary.  (If they miss out on someone in Dec, they have over a month to work on plan B.). The old way they had a few hours at best. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m fine with it as well. But Hill and Miller have their spots saved only because there are not prospects of their talent and position beating on the doors to come play for Auburn right now. However, if recruits like Kameron Stutts wanted to play the waiting game, you can bet the coaches wouldn’t save their spot. 

And to my point earlier, he better take the opportunity while it's there. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

My understanding is that they have their spots secure for more than just that there isn't another prospect waiting to take their spot.  They're in communication with the AU coaches and have made them feel assured that they still sign  with Auburn and provided them the reasons for why they're not signing during the early signing period.  If the coaches were not comfortable with the situation, they would be looking around.

14 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

My understanding is that they have their spots secure for more than just that there isn't another prospect waiting to take their spot.  They're in communication with the AU coaches and have made them feel assured that they still sign  with Auburn and provided them the reasons for why they're not signing during the early signing period.

I’ve heard this about Coynis. Last week when listening to Jox, Keith was giving updates and said Hill was “probably still solid” like he really didn’t know. What information have you heard on Hill?

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I’ve heard this about Coynis. Last week when listening to Jox, Keith was giving updates and said was Hill was “probably still solid” like he really didn’t know. What information have you heard on Hill?

Nothing specific on Hill.  I may be recalling what was said about Coynis Miller and extrapolating it onto Hill.  It seems like there was an article last week with one of the AU assistant coaches (Steele, maybe?) saying that whether a committed player signs early or not was not a big deal as long the player communicates his intentions with the coaching staff.

I don’t like the timing of the early signing period.  I actually don’t like the early signing period at all.  How many coaching changes were announced during the regular season so recruits would know the coach is gone?  Essentially leaving lame duck coordinators to finish out the season.  

We may be on the good side this year but what about 5 years from now we could be on the bad side of the situation.  

I also like kids to be kids.  Enjoy their senior years.  

A lot of the problems with a kid signing and then finding that a coordinator or HC has changed jobs would be fixed if the student-athlete was allowed to transfer to another school without having to sit out a year as long as he is in good scholastic standing.  I believe this is being considered and hope it passes because it would give the players some reasonable options if things don't turn out the way the coaches promised they would.

49 minutes ago, LakeBum said:

A lot of the problems with a kid signing and then finding that a coordinator or HC has changed jobs would be fixed if the student-athlete was allowed to transfer to another school without having to sit out a year as long as he is in good scholastic standing.  I believe this is being considered and hope it passes because it would give the players some reasonable options if things don't turn out the way the coaches promised they would.

What would the situation need to be in order to trigger such a transfer? What qualifications? You surely don't think that a scrambled eggs situation with players moving from school to school willy-nilly after every single season is a good idea?

2 hours ago, Jgarrett7 said:

And to my point earlier, he better take the opportunity while it's there. 

JMO but any players interested in a Power 5 school who does not sign this week should be very clear about where he stands with any school he is interested in.   Noting that some schools will sign their entire class this week and others will only have a handful of slots remaining come February.   

I'm thinking the 4* guys are the ones who could get left in the lurch.   I'm way past 18 of course but it's hard to figure how a guy these days could be truly undecided about where to go to school at this point unless he's looking for some kind of special assurances regarding playing time or something. 

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

What would the situation need to be in order to trigger such a transfer? What qualifications? You surely don't think that a scrambled eggs situation with players moving from school to school willy-nilly after every single season is a good idea?

Schools would still be limited by the 25 scholarship per year, so I don't think it would be willy or nilly.  Students would have to be in good scholastic standing with current school and meet new school academic standard too.  It would make sense to allow the transfer during the same early signing period and JUCO signing period, but I don't know what has been proposed. 

Just now, LakeBum said:

Schools would still be limited by the 25 scholarship per year, so I don't think it would be willy or nilly.  Students would have to be in good scholastic standing with current school and meet new school academic standard too.  It would make sense to allow the transfer during the same early signing period and JUCO signing period, but I don't know what has been proposed. 

I don't think that's workable. Every kid that isn't starting will be looking to transfer every December.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I don't think that's workable. Every kid that isn't starting will be looking to transfer every December.

Yep....and can you imagine trying to talk a kid into redshirting.....even if it was the best thing for his long term career.

Unless there are NCAA violation issues, I think you have to consider that the student signs with the school and not the coach or else it's chaos. . The decision to transfer should be well thought out...and not just a reaction to something that happens on the coaching staff....JMO

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

We went through it with two guys this year, it definitely distracts during the HS season.

tenor.gif?itemid=5206511

THE coach in texas has some advice for you!!! 

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Sooo, why shouldn't they be able to look for something better?  Because it might be hard on the coaches?? 

7 minutes ago, LakeBum said:

Sooo, why shouldn't they be able to look for something better?  Because it might be hard on the coaches?? 

Same reason you can't in high school without a bonafide move associated.  No one wants a 2nd string player leaving because he thinks he should be 1st string.  There are already rules in place to exclude the requirement of not having to sit a year.  

4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Same reason you can't in high school without a bonafide move associated.  No one wants a 2nd string player leaving because he thinks he should be 1st string.  There are already rules in place to exclude the requirement of not having to sit a year.  

And of course there is the very great possibility of recruiting / proselyting by players from team A to encourage kids to leave a school where they are not getting playing time.....or for other reasons. 

Aside from NCAA violation issues, the current system works just fine I think.....kids can move easily enough and a year to get adjusted to a new school and a new team is  not unreasonable in my view.....maintains the sham that these are primarily college students who are mostly interested in getting a good education. :-\

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

And of course there is the very great possibility of recruiting / proselyting by players from team A to encourage kids to leave a school where they are not getting playing time.....or for other reasons. 

Aside from NCAA violation issues, the current system works just fine I think.....kids can move easily enough and a year to get adjusted to a new school and a new team is  not unreasonable in my view.....maintains the sham that these are primarily college students who are mostly interested in getting a good education. :-\

So Saban tells recruit he will play LB as freshman, kid signs, and ends up riding the pine and red-shirting and sees Saban bring in 3 more 5* LB recruits and he tells them the same thing.  Saban tells kid you aren't good enough to start but you will make a great addition to our scout team.  Kid can now "transfer" to a school not on Saban's veto list and has to sit out a second year at new school or ride the pines a second year at bama hoping to play on special teams as junior or senior.  Yeah, I know the "system" works great for coaches making $7-10M a year and the fans like it because there is "continuity", but not too sure it is in the best interest of the kids.  

13 minutes ago, LakeBum said:

So Saban tells recruit he will play LB as freshman, kid signs, and ends up riding the pine and red-shirting and sees Saban bring in 3 more 5* LB recruits and he tells them the same thing.  Saban tells kid you aren't good enough to start but you will make a great addition to our scout team.  Kid can now "transfer" to a school not on Saban's veto list and has to sit out a second year at new school or ride the pines a second year at bama hoping to play on special teams as junior or senior.  Yeah, I know the "system" works great for coaches making $7-10M a year and the fans like it because there is "continuity", but not too sure it is in the best interest of the kids.  

When I read your hypothetical, Ben Davis came to mind. He was stuck on the scout team this past season, even with all the LB injuries the team had. 

Archived