General Early NSD Thoughts (Non-AU specific)

AU64

Maybe there should be a rule that would allow kids to transfer if the coach leaves or is fired. Most kids will stay put and some leave anyway when there is a coaching change. Wait maybe there already is, Ole Miss players are transferring.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Maybe there should be a rule that would allow kids to transfer if the coach leaves or is fired. Most kids will stay put and some leave anyway when there is a coaching change. Wait maybe there already is, Ole Miss players are transferring.

They’re allowed to freely transfer because of the Bowl ban.

52 minutes ago, LakeBum said:

So Saban tells recruit he will play LB as freshman, kid signs, and ends up riding the pine and red-shirting and sees Saban bring in 3 more 5* LB recruits and he tells them the same thing.  Saban tells kid you aren't good enough to start but you will make a great addition to our scout team.  Kid can now "transfer" to a school not on Saban's veto list and has to sit out a second year at new school or ride the pines a second year at bama hoping to play on special teams as junior or senior.  Yeah, I know the "system" works great for coaches making $7-10M a year and the fans like it because there is "continuity", but not too sure it is in the best interest of the kids.  

They guy is getting a college education for "free" so to speak....and he ought to take advantage of it because if he's riding the pines a couple years at bama or elsewhere he's going to need that college education because the NFL is not in his future.  

It works for the kids too....unless you just accept that all of them are there to play football and have no interest in their educational opportunities.   Otherwise, they transfer to some other school to play football and probably loses half their credits along the way......and they play some football at a lower level school, use up their eligibility and still need another year or two to graduate...but now they have to pay their own way.     JMO but there is very little about a loose transfer system that is ultimately good for the kids. 

47 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

They’re allowed to freely transfer because of the Bowl ban.

What do you think about letting the kids transfer if the coach leaves? Maybe only in the first year after signing.

5 minutes ago, kd4au said:

What do you think about letting the kids transfer if the coach leaves?

I think it’s pretty dangerous. Let’s say there are no limits to how many players can transfer if Gus bolts for Arkansas. What happens when that transfer number exceeds 20?  It would absolutely devastate our program.

2 hours ago, Jgarrett7 said:

Maybe we should just wrap them all up in bubble wrap and rainbows so we can protect their precious feelings

Nobody is saying they are pansies. Reality is they should have more rights if they are early NSDs since coaches can come & go freely.

12 hours ago, Jgarrett7 said:

Maybe we should just wrap them all up in bubble wrap and rainbows so we can protect their precious feelings

Same could be said about a lot of fans every time a player doesn't behave exactly the way they think he should. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Same could be said about a lot of fans every time a player doesn't behave exactly the way they think he should. 

You're right about that. Need lots of bubble wrap in the world today.

Lot of people saying they didn’t realize this Signing Day would be so big. The timing does need to be changed because obviously some teams are screwed in this ( bowl games today.) Change the early signing period to the first week after Conference Championships or go all the way to July and hold an early signing period then.

20 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

:yay:

While it is great Saban doesn't like it, I bet he will adapt just fine.  That being said, I think Kirby Smart is embracing it and long term, that is a much bigger problem for us.

wde

I think some sell these athletes short. As someone who works in higher ed at several major Power 5 universities I can tell you that a lot of football players take education into there decision. It is a huge part of what school they attend. Now there are many exceptions some guys are football players first because that is what they have been taught since grade school. And many coaches reinforce the chance at the NFL above all else. But I have interviewed/met several parents and players.....the majority of players want a good education along with an opportunity to get to the next level. With this early signing option if you sign early make sure you are picking the school vs the coach...jmho

5 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

While it is great Saban doesn't like it, I bet he will adapt just fine.  That being said, I think Kirby Smart is embracing it and long term, that is a much bigger problem for us.

wde

Georgia has always been a thorn in our side when it comes to recruiting. That's the benefit of being the only top football school in a talent rich state. If Kirby thinks he's going to build a bama machine, he better take a look at what happened to Ole Miss. The REC will be chomping at the bit to report anything they can find to the NCAA. 

I just love seeing Alabama currently ranked #6 instead of #1 with no 5-stars. 

The next school everyone's going to need to keep and eye on is Ohio State. Meyer kicked all of the gentleman's agreements they had in the Big 10 to the curb when he showed up and I would not be surprised at all if he was allowing some under the table dealing. It's not like Ohio State's boosters aren't used to playing fast and loose with the rules.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Georgia has always been a thorn in our side when it comes to recruiting. That's the benefit of being the only top football school in a talent rich state. If Kirby thinks he's going to build a bama machine, he better take a look at what happened to Ole Miss. The REC will be chomping at the bit to report anything they can find to the NCAA. 

I just love seeing Alabama currently ranked #6 instead of #1 with no 5-stars. 

The next school everyone's going to need to keep and eye on is Ohio State. Meyer kicked all of the gentleman's agreements they had in the Big 10 to the curb when he showed up and I would not be surprised at all if he was allowing some under the table dealing. It's not like Ohio State's boosters aren't used to playing fast and loose with the rules.

UGA is not Ole Miss.  UGA has always recruited well, Smart is just going to take it to levels that are going to make us wish Mark Richt never got fired.  REC won't touch Kirby.  I am sure Urban is cheating his butt off as well, like he did at UF and he just continued that when he got to OSU.  

wde

4 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I think some sell these athletes short. As someone who works in higher ed at several major Power 5 universities I can tell you that a lot of football players take education into there decision. It is a huge part of what school they attend. Now there are many exceptions some guys are football players first because that is what they have been taught since grade school. And many coaches reinforce the chance at the NFL above all else. But I have interviewed/met several parents and players.....the majority of players want a good education along with an opportunity to get to the next level. With this early signing option if you sign early make sure you are picking the school vs the coach...jmho

Yes education is important. No doubts about that. Reality though is relationships with the coaches recruiting them win recruiting battles much more often than educational factors.

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

UGA is not Ole Miss.  UGA has always recruited well, Smart is just going to take it to levels that are going to make us wish Mark Richt never got fired.  REC won't touch Kirby.  I am sure Urban is cheating his butt off as well, like he did at UF and he just continued that when he got to OSU.  

wde

The REC will go after Kirby in a heartbeat if he threatens bama's dominance. If he keeps it clean, he could potentially improve on what Richt was able to do, but if he plays fast and loose, they will pay for it. Only one team has NCAA protection in the SEC. I just don't know that he can do that much better. Don't forget, Richt was the master of doing less with more. He always had great classes... he just never managed to take them to the top on the field.

Personally, I think if Del McGee left, Kirby's recruiting would suffer mightily. 

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The REC will go after Kirby in a heartbeat if he threatens bama's dominance. If he keeps it clean, he could potentially improve on what Richt was able to do, but if he plays fast and loose, they will pay for it. Only one team has NCAA protection in the SEC. I just don't know that he can do that much better. Don't forget, Richt was the master of doing less with more. He always had great classes... he just never managed to take them to the top on the field.

Personally, I think if Del McGee left, Kirby's recruiting would suffer mightily. 

Are we getting smarter or do there seem to be less hi jinx related to our recruits that we're competing with bama for now that Kirby is not there?

15 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Are we getting smarter or do there seem to be less hi jinx related to our recruits that we're competing with bama for now that Kirby is not there?

Gus has definitely gotten smarter about being played by recruits.  The last recruit that tried it got sent packing on his official visit, and that pretty much ended it. I don't think Kirby was behind it when it did happen, but I could totally be wrong on that. There seems to be a little less enthusiasm out of West Alabama since Kirby left the state.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Kirby knows where the REC's skeletons are buried.  The REC ain't touching Kirby.  We need Del McGee on our staff yesterday.   We easily could get rid of at least a couple guys on the O staff and replace them with someone who is better on the the field coaching and off of the field recruiting.  McGee fits thats definition perfectly.

wde

17 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Kirby knows where the REC's skeletons are buried.  The REC ain't touching Kirby.  We need Del McGee on our staff yesterday.   We easily could get rid of at least a couple guys on the O staff and replace them with someone who is better on the the field coaching and off of the field recruiting.  McGee fits thats definition perfectly.

wde

Orrr. Since he played DB he could be a defensive DB coach & come over as the 10th coach we get in January.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Orrr. Since he played DB he could be a defensive DB coach & come over as the 10th coach we get in January.

That would work too.  Just get him on our staff and away from UGA.  Pay him more than UGA by a big margin and hopefully pay T-Will what he is worth as well.

wde

2 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

That would work too.  Just get him on our staff and away from UGA.  Pay him more than UGA by a big margin and hopefully pay T-Will what he is worth as well.

wde

Believe it or not Dell is only making $275 K right now.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Believe it or not Dell is only making $275 K right now.

I thought I had read that somewhere too.  I just wasn't sure.  Does McGee have any relationships on the AU staff that you know of?  

wde

26 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

I thought I had read that somewhere too.  I just wasn't sure.  Does McGee have any relationships on the AU staff that you know of?  

wde

No clue but CDC didn't have much when he came back.

Archived