Byron Cowart Signing With Maryland

aufan57

I have read some articles saying he has two years of eligibility remaining. Since he played in at least two games for Auburn as a junior in 2015, how is that possible?

22 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

I have read some articles saying he has two years of eligibility remaining. Since he played in at least two games for Auburn as a junior in 2015, how is that possible?

The fast answer is he cannot have two years left. If he claims some sort of injury happened and the AU medical staff provides documentation to support that claim he could apply for a medical redshirt.  However, I don't remember injury being involved and I doubt any MD is going to commit perjury just to help Maryland out. If a guy participates in just ONE game, without an injury claim, that year cannot be a redshirt year, the year is blown.

This should be interesting .  Can't recall an AU player moving to another Power 5 school and doing well but maybe a change of scenery will help him out.  He seemed to have all the physical tools....just never put it together here.

Good luck to him. Hope things work out better for him at Maryland than they did at AU. He'll be hard to beat for biggest recruiting bust in AU history. 

11 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Good luck to him. Hope things work out better for him at Maryland than they did at AU. He'll be hard to beat for biggest recruiting bust in AU history. 

Good point. I think he can be tied but not beaten, since he was rated the #1 prospect in the nation.

29 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

SECCountryAU's tweet should've put "5-Star" in quotes due to the bust factor...

Not the first 5* to not make it.....take it easy on the guy.....seems he's moved to a better situation for himself in a respectable program.  Hope he does well there. 

22 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not the first 5* to not make it.....take it easy on the guy.....seems he's moved to a better situation for himself in a respectable program.  Hope he does well there. 

I don't think that was taking it hard on the guy. He absolutely isn't the first, nor will he be the last, 5* to bust. But he's about the biggest example of a hyped 5* to bust at AU pretty much ever. I too wish him all the best at MD and beyond.

Starting to wonder if Maryland is following the Louisville model of building a program. If you can't land recruits directly, get the guys who can't cut it elsewhere (minus the personal troubles that Louisville seems to be drawn to).

I would be interested to know what it is about them that players find appealing. Their name pops up more often than any other "which one of these names doesn't belong" teams when it comes to being on players list of potential schools.

The guy gave it a shot.  It not his fault the recruiting services may have gotten it wrong.  I say may because he could still live up to the hype in another environment.  Sometimes it just doesn't work out for whatever reason.  Wish him the best and move on.  

1 hour ago, tigeraddikt said:

I don't think that was taking it hard on the guy. He absolutely isn't the first, nor will he be the last, 5* to bust. But he's about the biggest example of a hyped 5* to bust at AU pretty much ever. I too wish him all the best at MD and beyond.

I could remember incorrectly but Cowart was not a 5 start during most of the rating periods and apparently had a good camp somewhere and jumped up at the last minute ...maybe because Muschamp and AU were recruiting him.    We've seen a number of cases where that last star gets pinned on when some big schools show an interest in a guy.     BUT...he's gone and too bad for AU and for him that it did not work out.   Just thinking that we haven't gotten that many 5* players over the years so not much to compare him to....but I see lots of 5* guys in general who never pan out.....the jump from HS is just too big for them. 

Archived