Malzhans thoughts on early signees

aubiefifty

Gus Malzahn's thoughts on Auburn's 15 early signees in 2018

Updated 6:33 PM; Posted 6:35 PM

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn talks about recruits signed during the early signing period Wednesday. (Todd Van Emst/Auburn Athletics)

0 shares

By James Crepea

jcrepea@al.com

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn shared his thoughts on each of Auburn's early signees, of which eight are enrolling early and six are already on campus.

Here's what Malzahn had to say on Wednesday about each of the signees.

ASA MARTIN, 4-STAR RB

"He's very versatile. He's a guy that really reminds us of Kerryon Johnson. He can run. He can catch. He's a very good pass protector. We're very excited about him."

JOEY GATEWOOD, 4-STAR QB

"A guy that's been committed to us for two years. Really, from my standpoint, he stayed loyal to us the whole time. Never flinched. We had a coordinator change, and he hung in there with us. He's a very big guy. He can run. He's very athletic. He has a chance to be real special for us, we feel like."

QUINDARIOUS "SMOKE" MONDAY, 4-STAR S

"A tall, rangy guy, a defensive back. We think he can play corner, can play safety. He really plays with an edge and has a great personality. We're very excited about him."

JOSH MARSH, 3-STAR LB

"A guy that really caught our eye in camp. He ran a 4.48 in our summer camp and just flew around. He has an edge about him. I'm very excited about him."

DAQUAN NEWKIRK, 4-STAR DE

"Defensive lineman that has been committed to us for a long time out of high school. He had to go to junior college. He played running back in high school. Very athletic, big guy. Really excited about him."

JAMIEN SHERWOOD, 4-STAR S

"A big, athletic guy. He's 6-2, around 200. He played offense, played defense. I know a lot of schools were recruiting him to play offense. He's got that ability. I'm very excited about Jamien."

CHRISTIAN TUTT, 4-STAR DB

"A corner, really plays with an edge. He's got really good ball skills. He's a very good returner. What really stands out to me is his competitiveness. I'm very excited about him."

MICHAEL HARRIS, 4-STAR LB

"Michael Harris is a big, rangy linebacker. He can play all the positions. He can rush the passer. I got a chance to watch him in person. He really played lights out. I'm very excited about him."

ADVERTISING

SHAUN SHIVERS, 4-STAR APB

"Really Shaun is one of the leaders of this class. It really helped with the recruiting and everything that goes with that. He kinda reminds me of Onterio McCalebb as far as speed in pads. He can really run. He plays a lot bigger than he is and really plays with a great edge with that."

KAM STUTTS, 3-STAR OT

"A big, athletic offensive lineman. We think he's got a great upside. He was committed to us. He chose to come and still workout in camp. I think that says a lot about him. Really competitive and think his best days are ahead of him."

JALIL IRVIN, 4-STAR OG

"Jalil Irvin will play center for us. He's a guy that also was a big help with recruiting, one of the leaders of the class that really just set the stone and stayed consistent. We really think he's got a good upside too, very athletic."

ZAKOBY MCCLAIN, 4-STAR LB

"A great linebacker who can run. He's very physical. He's like a heat-seeking missile going to the ball. Very excited about him joining us."

SETH WILLIAMS, 4-STAR WR

"A big receiver. About 6-3, 215. Great basketball player. I think he's got great upside. He's a great athlete from Tuscaloosa. We haven't gotten many guys from there in the past."

SHEDRICK JACKSON, 3-STAR WR

"What really stands out about Shedrick, to me, is he's so polished. He came to our camp and did a great job with his route running coming in and out of breaks. He ran a 4.4. We think he's got a chance to be a real special player, too."

KAYODE OLADELE, 4- STAR DE

"He's a guy we think is going to be an excellent pass rusher. He also came to our camp and really stood out. I really like his personality and all that."

Glad to see Gus embrace the opportunity instead of complain like so many other coaches.  The best people in their profession turn problems into opportunities.

• WarTiger changed the title to Malzhans thoughts on early signees

when will the other LB from Athens Christian School sign?  I thought he was supposed to sign for the early period.  I hope he is still solid with us.

52 minutes ago, alexava said:

Who are two on each end standing and kneeling?

The one on the left end standing is Jartavious "Boobie" Whitlow, kneeling Is soph. Eugene Govan. On the right end standing is CJ Tolbert and kneeling is Cedric Chambers. 

56 minutes ago, alexava said:

And #36 looks too happy to be in a dog house. 

Yep shoulder is just fine. He can shotput if he wanted to...

5 hours ago, doc4aday said:

when will the other LB from Athens Christian School sign?  I thought he was supposed to sign for the early period.  I hope he is still solid with us.

He's rock solid. The kids from Nigeria and it sounds like he wants friends around him at school when he signs so expect an event tomorrow. He's a really good kid. 

4 hours ago, WFE12 said:

The one on the left end standing is Jartavious "Boobie" Whitlow, kneeling Is soph. Eugene Govan. On the right end standing is CJ Tolbert and kneeling is Cedric Chambers. 

Whitlow is a lot bigger than I had thought.   I thought he was Lakier,. But he looks pretty stout to me.  (Standing left correct? With a clear 2 on his Jersey?)

1 hour ago, The Plainsman said:

Whitlow is a lot bigger than I had thought.   I thought he was Lakier,. But he looks pretty stout to me.  (Standing left correct? With a clear 2 on his Jersey?)

Yes that's him and I thought the same. Hopefully this time someone that is spoken highly of like him produces.

8 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

6' 1", 216 pounds is what he checked in at pre-season workouts.

15 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Asa putting in work...RBU.

Hope his KJ comparisons are true. I also hope he is little more of a homerun threat though.

54 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Whitlow is a bigger RB? 

giphy.gif

He’s the young buck I’m most eager to see. 

With the added gif, it is probably the funniest post you have ever made

4 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Whitlow is a bigger RB? 

giphy.gif

He’s the young buck I’m most eager to see. 

Where's the creeped out emoji when ya need it?

On 12/21/2017 at 6:56 PM, autigeremt said:

He's rock solid. The kids from Nigeria and it sounds like he wants friends around him at school when he signs so expect an event tomorrow. He's a really good kid. 

Where are you from? Just curious. I have many relatives who teach at Athens Christian School. 

Archived