defensive improvement/Person's departure

boisnumber1

That'll be a tough one to answer. A lot of it has to do we the players imo. I feel okeke, Murray, and Dunbar are more committed to playing defense then the guys we had playing last year. Plus Harper has improved and mitchel is probably better defensive point guard then our backup pg last year. But maybe there is a schematic difference as well that others can point out

It's possible but don't forget all these kids already knew how to play offense and getting them to adjust to playing defense at the college level was going to take some time. And all the freshman were tasked with heavy minutes last year so they were having to learn on the job which is always a bad situation to be in.

There does seem to be more energy on defense.....coaching ?  different attitude? more experience?.....all of that and more?  

BTW....was looking at the basketball site and notice that Frankie Sullivan is listed as Video Coordinator.....looks like he is still on the staff just in a different role?  

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

There does seem to be more energy on defense.....coaching ?  different attitude? more experience?.....all of that and more?  

BTW....was looking at the basketball site and notice that Frankie Sullivan is listed as Video Coordinator.....looks like he is still on the staff just in a different role?  

I think that's what he was doing before. I've seen nothing to indicate the suspensions have been lifted.

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I think that's what he was doing before. I've seen nothing to indicate the suspensions have been lifted.

He's been on the bench during games in the past ....I think.....but I have not seen him anywhere during games this year.

The basketball web site says this is his first year as video coordinator and he had some other job the previous two years though he may have had that job before the suspension....but he and Ver Hulst are still shown on the website which I'm assuming also means that both are still being paid by the school.  .  

Also found this:     
Sullivan is engaged to Precious Morris, Auburn women’s basketball’s special assistant to the head coach. The couple will wed on April 4, 2018

This situation remains a mystery ..Just looking at the jobs those two have/had it's almost impossible to imagine them involved in the same issue as Person....but could be something totally unrelated that violated some kind of school policy.

PS..VerHulst was video coordinator before Sullivan took the job this year.....so wonder if it has something to do with that?  

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

He's been on the bench during games in the past ....I think.....but I have not seen him anywhere during games this year.

The basketball web site says this is his first year as video coordinator and he had some other job the previous two years though he may have had that job before the suspension....but he and Ver Hulst are still shown on the website which I'm assuming also means that both are still being paid by the school.  .  

Also found this:     
Sullivan is engaged to Precious Morris, Auburn women’s basketball’s special assistant to the head coach. The couple will wed on April 4, 2018

This situation remains a mystery ..Just looking at the jobs those two have/had it's almost impossible to imagine them involved in the same issue as Person....but could be something totally unrelated that violated some kind of school policy.

He was a grad assistant previous two seasons.

• WarTiger changed the title to defensive improvement/Person's departure
5 hours ago, gravejd said:

That'll be a tough one to answer. A lot of it has to do we the players imo. I feel okeke, Murray, and Dunbar are more committed to playing defense then the guys we had playing last year. Plus Harper has improved and mitchel is probably better defensive point guard then our backup pg last year. But maybe there is a schematic difference as well that others can point out

Thats really my question I guess. Have we changed anything about how we are playing defense other than better effort and improved play - any adjustments that we werent doing when CP was here.

On 12/21/2017 at 5:07 PM, boisnumber1 said:

Thats really my question I guess. Have we changed anything about how we are playing defense other than better effort and improved play - any adjustments that we werent doing when CP was here.

There is some scheme stuff that is different. We are switching screens more with guards and less with bigs. Our on ball screen defense when a post sets the screen is much better this season. Our posts are showing more in these screens where in the past we sagged off. We have also played some zone this season, more than I remember CBP playing in the past. 

Rebounding well all this season also plays a major roll in the defenses success. 

It's literally Okeke more than anything. Last year I wrote a detailed post on how he would play the perimeter not the post; cover up the mismatches we had with guards as far as size switching pick and rolls. All before he stepped foot on campus. We always had the pieces with the bigs but was lacking from our guards. If you search it should be in here somewhere. 

Archived