Pro Wrestling Open Thread

Brad_ATX

14 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Like What?! Hogan did a step up enziguiri?? This looks incredible.  Didn't know he worked those moves like that.  @GwillMac6 @ellitor @Brad_ATX Y'all knew this? 

Yes, I knew. It occasionally gets back up in one of the wrestling sites I follow.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yes, I knew. It occasionally gets back up in one of the wrestling sites I follow.

I figured you probably watched a lot of old Japan tape. 

• 2 weeks later...

For those that watch PPVs, final battle was awesome.  I remember having several smiling moments at end of matches.  Great finishes.  And this was absolutely jaw dropping sick. I thought he was going to land on table, but the chairs on the floor was wow.  That FTRvsBriscoes match and trilogy could be top3 of decade. 

Edited by AUBwins

• 5 weeks later...

Looking forward to Dynamite tonight.  Gonna be a big one. Stacked card with the Corporate bosses in town to see at the Kia Forum in LA.  Speculated surprises.  Then after the WWE news in the past week, who knows where this is heading?

• 2 weeks later...

Rumble 2023!!!! Excellent men's match. Not a lot of surprises but one of the coolest looking moments using 2 springboards off the ropes. Then probably one of the best end of rumble bouts between the last 2 competitors. It was great.  

Bloodline story has been such a journey.  Tonight was cinema.

@ellitor

@GwillMac6

I just read something that talked about macho man.  Did yall know the scene in Spiderman where Macho was buzzsaw was actually what ended his career?  I didn't.  At the end,  he falls on his neck awkwardly.   That was a legitimate injury as he did his own stunts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

@ellitor

@GwillMac6

I just read something that talked about macho man.  Did yall know the scene in Spiderman where Macho was buzzsaw was actually what ended his career?  I didn't.  At the end,  he falls on his neck awkwardly.   That was a legitimate injury as he did his own stunts.

I didn’t know it ended his career but I do remember him being in it. When he was in that hadn’t he been retired for awhile though already?

51 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I didn’t know it ended his career but I do remember him being in it. When he was in that hadn’t he been retired for awhile though already?

Evidently tried a run in TNA shortly after but never went in ring again. I think he was basically retired though. The injury just solidified it.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Did anyone watch Revolution?  I thought it was incredible and exceeded my expectations.  Just exciting throughout. 

Forbidden Door 2 already sold out before any matches.  Just the announcement that it was coming.  Incredible. If you know, you know.  This will be such an amazing show since we will have the likes of Omega this time for example.  There are a lot of injured wrestlers last time and it still hit.  Can't wait

Edited by AUBwins

• 2 weeks later...

@GwillMac6 getting a lot of good stuff on AEW right now.  HEEL Daniel Bryan!!! Your favorite!  BCC all heels as well.  Love it.  

All-Acess show was great! Love the behind the scenes look.  Also Britt may hate ThunderRosa more than Brett hates Goldberg 😆 

2 hours ago, Hamma said:

@AUBwinsWhat did you think about the first night of Wrestlemania?

Only real criticism is no need to be this long each night with 2 nights.  Overall It was fun. Loved Rey vs Dom with entrances everything. I actually thought Dom would come in low rider so that was huge surprise.  Story in match was great.  Women's championship killed!!! Still can't believe some of the bumps Charlotte took. She went all out with it. Awesome match.  Thought finish of main event was perfect.   Rest of night had some great spots. Oh loved the finish to Seth and Logan also.  About as good as a first night can go and with the matches likely to be even better tonight, could be an all timer.   Mainly just entertaining and fun. Oh and presentation top notch. 

I loved Ring of Honor PPV on Friday.  It was really good all around. A few surprise results, good and bad.   NXT Takeover didn't live up to what we used to know for Takeover.  Some good stuff mixed in though. Favorite was the end of women's NXT ladder match.  

OK.  Definitely didn't hit all timer status lol.  Very poor night 2 in comparison to night 1.  Was hindered a little with injuries that cut some off early. And Cody and Roman was fantastic until it wasn't.  Don't think the momentum will ever peak to what it was again.  Better have a good finish to that. 

13 hours ago, AUBwins said:

OK.  Definitely didn't hit all timer status lol.  Very poor night 2 in comparison to night 1.  Was hindered a little with injuries that cut some off early. And Cody and Roman was fantastic until it wasn't.  Don't think the momentum will ever peak to what it was again.  Better have a good finish to that. 

Wrestelmania was a wasted opportunity, and at the end of the day it was a mixed bag. 

Rhea vs. Charlotte was easily the best women's match I've ever seen. They absolutely brought the house down and even with Chartotte's status in the future up in the air they're well set up with Rhea as the champ moving forward. She's a natural, she's young and the division has the talent to put on matches that will put butts in seats for the foreseeable future. 

They just had to WWE up the Reigns/Cody angle. Good Christ, do the idiots writing this s*** not know how wrestling works? You can't have everything be an endless book! People need a freaking payoff!

And what a payoff it would have been. Wrestlemania! The people were primed and ready to tear the house down. This isn't something you can do with equal meaning at Summerslam or Survivor series.

I don't see how they build up another opportunity as meaningful as that one would have been to take the belt off of Roman in the next year. 

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, AUDub said:

Wrestelmania was a wasted opportunity, and at the end of the day it was a mixed bag. 

Rhea vs. Charlotte was easily the best women's match I've ever seen. They absolutely brought the house down and even with Chartotte's status in the future up in the air they're well set up with Rhea as the champ moving forward. She's a natural, she's young and the division has the talent to put on matches that will put butts in seats for the foreseeable future. 

They just had to WWE up the Reigns/Cody angle. Good Christ, do the idiots writing this s*** not know how wrestling works? You can't have everything be an endless book! People need a freaking payoff!

And what a payoff it would have been. Wrestlemania! The people were primed and ready to tear the house down. This isn't something you can do with equal meaning at Summerslam or Survivor series.

I don't see how they build up another opportunity as meaningful as that one would have been to take the belt off of Roman in the next year. 

Agree with everything you said.  Rhea and Charlotte freaking ruled!  AEW went through a similar dropped ball (not the scale of wrestlemania of course) with the Acclaimed.  They had the most over crowd I have seen in a long long time when they were having their first title opportunity.  To the degree that they should have absolutely called the audible and figured the story out later.  They didn't have Acclaimed win it then, but basically did a rematch and had them win.  They still went over but nowhere near what they would have if the result was still in doubt.  Rematch was a formality.  So now what? Cody is just forgotten about for weeks?  Raw after mania was so incredibly bad.  Way to kill any momentum that was left.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Agree with everything you said.  Rhea and Charlotte freaking ruled!  AEW went through a similar dropped ball (not the scale of wrestlemania of course) with the Acclaimed.  They had the most over crowd I have seen in a long long time when they were having their first title opportunity.  To the degree that they should have absolutely called the audible and figured the story out later.  They didn't have Acclaimed win it then, but basically did a rematch and had them win.  They still went over but nowhere near what they would have if the result was still in doubt.  Rematch was a formality.  So now what? Cody is just forgotten about for weeks?  Raw after mania was so incredibly bad.  Way to kill any momentum that was left.  

At the end of the day it's just stupid booking.

If the stunned silence of the crowd isn't indicative enough nothing ever will be. You don't keep an audience by not giving them just enough of what they want to keep them interested. 

Newsflash, people like happy endings when the good guy beats the bad guy. 

• Like 1

As long as I’ve watched wrestling (WCW and WWE, and many smaller market stuff…Continental, etc dating back to the early to mid 80s), I don’t think I’ve ever been so disappointed in an ending.  And now that I’m almost 50, I see things from the overall 5 mile up view.  I wasn’t necessarily disappointed as a fan of an individual wrestler…I was disappointed at the storytelling opportunity that was BLOWN by Reigns’ retention of the title.  I had hope on Raw when fans were chanting Rematch…..but that quickly fizzled.  I looked at my wife when Lesner showed up and said…”he’ll turn on Cody and the tag team match will never happen”.  That’s how pitifully obvious it was.  Anyway, a big opportunity was wasted to further the overall brand for the greater good….

2 hours ago, Hamma said:

As long as I’ve watched wrestling (WCW and WWE, and many smaller market stuff…Continental, etc dating back to the early to mid 80s), I don’t think I’ve ever been so disappointed in an ending.  And now that I’m almost 50, I see things from the overall 5 mile up view.  I wasn’t necessarily disappointed as a fan of an individual wrestler…I was disappointed at the storytelling opportunity that was BLOWN by Reigns’ retention of the title.  I had hope on Raw when fans were chanting Rematch…..but that quickly fizzled.  I looked at my wife when Lesner showed up and said…”he’ll turn on Cody and the tag team match will never happen”.  That’s how pitifully obvious it was.  Anyway, a big opportunity was wasted to further the overall brand for the greater good….

I saw the finger poke of doom live. As bad as this swerve was, nothing will ever match that. 

• Like 1