Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

Mr. Brain - 

Found the needed technology. Please disregard my reservations in the old thread,

though I'd also support pinning the old one; hate to see the lore stored there sink out of sight.

• Like 1

L6YOFpx.jpg

Came in to Hop City today. Limit 2 per customer.

Like Xocoveza's big brother. Much more peppery on the finish, which is very muted in Stone's offering. Well worth the price, 16, I paid for it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AUDub said:

L6YOFpx.jpg

Came in to Hop City today. Limit 2 per customer.

Like Xocoveza's big brother. Much more peppery on the finish, which is very muted in Stone's offering. Well worth the price, 16, I paid for it. 

That stuff is magic. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That stuff is magic. 

Just wish they would make it a seasonal rather than once a year release, and put it out in winter, when such stouts are best enjoyed. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Just wish they would make it a seasonal rather than once a year release, and put it out in winter, when such stouts are best enjoyed. 

It does scream "holiday sipper". Maybe just a marketing thing, as there aren't as many other big  special release stouts right now? 

6 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Never had the opportunity to try Mexican Cake. I did have Mexican Imperial Biscotti Break...was fairly meh. 

The latter was one of those where instead of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts... both were just kinda dumbed down a little. 

IIRC Cake has a little more heat to it- just enough to cut through the sugar and balance it out. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The latter was one of those where instead of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts... both were just kinda dumbed down a little. 

IIRC Cake has a little more heat to it- just enough to cut through the sugar and balance it out. 

That's where Mexican Cake is great and beats Xocoveza's only glaring flaw, IMO. The pepper is extremely difficult to detect in Xocoveza. Gets its chance to shine in Mexican Cake. 

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 1

Just because. Almost broke out the BCBS Rare, but decided I wanted it as a “first drink” type of thing...also saving it for my 1000th check in on Untappd—which I’ve been holding on for like 2 months. I’ve got a long backlog because of it  

jO8krPc.jpg

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

46 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Board has been weird lately with images. Show up in preview then disappear. 

latest?cb=20121205194537

strange. Here is is embedded correctly. 

9 minutes ago, AUDub said:

latest?cb=20121205194537

strange. Here is is embedded correctly. 

That’s the thing. It’ll be posted “correctly”, previews and posts fine. But it’ll just turn to code after xx min.

11 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I’m finna make some posts this week...

I shiver with anticip...

These two. My heavens are they freaking delicious. The Burial reminds me of Bloom. To a of citrus on the nose, creamy mouthfeel with some pineapple fronting the taste.

The Lucky Scars May be the winner. It’s hard to describe, but a great nose/mouthfeel. And almost “candylike” finish. A bit candy pineapple sweet finish. Just outstanding.

7E1CF45A-7543-4C52-A1CE-BF6005019A6A.jpeg

4B7C4F47-B6A5-47B9-B966-629FB8730A33.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hawkbill is ridiculous. Never heard of the other one but will be sure to try it if I see it.

Found a local beer enthusiast group on FB. They seem to do semi-regular bottle shares, which is great. But 95% of the content seems to be people just posting pictures of the beer they're drinking with no additional information. No tasting notes or anything. I find that odd. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

These two. My heavens are they freaking delicious. The Burial reminds me of Bloom. To a of citrus on the nose, creamy mouthfeel with some pineapple fronting the taste.

The Lucky Scars May be the winner. It’s hard to describe, but a great nose/mouthfeel. And almost “candylike” finish. A bit candy pineapple sweet finish. Just outstanding.

7E1CF45A-7543-4C52-A1CE-BF6005019A6A.jpeg

4B7C4F47-B6A5-47B9-B966-629FB8730A33.jpeg

...'pation.

Many Thanks.

• Love 2

@McLoofus you are absolutely correct in the Hawkbill. It’ll be making a trip home with me. And so will the Lucky Scars. Both are excellent a beers. 

Tonights lineup...

I’m finally figuring out that I’m not a huge tropical IPA fan. I just can’t seem to distinguish the flavor. It tends to blend into a melded bitter hop with no distinguishing characteristics. 

The WW Pernicious is very tasty. A bit more subtle, but tasty!

66EDCCA4-C992-4864-A767-65C18B46F593.jpeg

EC1BE8D4-B05B-4EE3-9561-325024E6A235.jpeg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

@McLoofus you are absolutely correct in the Hawkbill. It’ll be making a trip home with me. And so will the Lucky Scars. Both are excellent a beers. 

Tonights lineup...

I’m finally figuring out that I’m not a huge tropical IPA fan. I just can’t seem to distinguish the flavor. It tends to blend into a melded bitter hop with no distinguishing characteristics. 

The WW Pernicious is very tasty. A bit more subtle, but tasty!

66EDCCA4-C992-4864-A767-65C18B46F593.jpeg

EC1BE8D4-B05B-4EE3-9561-325024E6A235.jpeg

Love the glass!

• Thanks 1