Open Club  ·  57 members

BBQ Boys

What's for Dinner?

Barnacle

All things grilling/cooking thread. Post recipes, instructions, tips, photographs of third-degree burns, stories of your friends' jealousy, etc.

I'll kick things off. 

CQs' Pan-Seared Salmon  

Paging @McLoofus, you'll be interested in this one.

I had a few friends over for dinner last night. Mrs. Barnacle was working a late shift, and she doesn't eat fish, so I decided cook some last night. About this time last year, my wife and I visited Hilton Head Island with her family, and had the chance to eat at an old school restaurant in Sea Pines called CQs. I ordered the Salmon. If you are ever in the area, and if you ever have a chance to eat at CQs, I highly recommend ordering the Salmon - it's incredible. If you don't have that chance, you're in luck. I asked the waitress how they cook it, and she gave me the step-by-step. I can confirm after last night that her instructions were spot on. The result - perfectly cooked, pan-seared filet of fish with a crispy golden-brown crust, and incredible flavor. 

My friends and I cook a lot. I am by no means a chef, but I know hot to make good food - and, last night was probably the best dish I've ever cooked. The salmon was restaurant quality - the exact fish I was served at CQs. The best part was that it was very simple, and I think easy to execute. And, it really highlighted the fish - simple seasoning, no sauce.

Ingredients

2 lbs "fresh" Atlantic Salmon from Whole Foods - Cut into 4, skin-on filets. Finding good fish is essential.
Fine Sea Salt
Course Ground Pepper
Canola Oil
6 tbsp Salted Butter
4 Fresh Sprigs of Thyme

Instructions

Prepare Salmon by adding salt and pepper to the meat side of the filets. Make sure to evenly layer the salt, getting full coverage over the meat. Allow the salmon to sit for about 45 minutes, approaching room temperature. 

Attach9322_20180523_214503.jpg

In a large pan, heat 1 tbsp of Canola oil over medium-high heat. The oil needs to be very hot. Be careful not to add too much oil to your pan. The fish doesn't need to be sitting in a pool of oil. Once the oil is hot, place the salmon filets meat-side down (skin-side up) onto the pan. Once they are down, do not move them. Take another heavy pan - I used a cast iron skillet - and set it on top of the filets, ensuring that the entire surface of the salmon is getting a good, hard sear. Sear for 21/2 to 31/2 minutes, depending on the thickness of your filets. When you flip the filets, the meat should have an even, rich, golden-brown crust. 

Once you've flipped the salmon so that the skin-side is down, add butter and thyme. The pan should already be extremely hot, so the butter should brown very quickly. Immediately start pan-basting the salmon with the melted herb butter. Baste continuously for about 1 and 1/2 minutes - no more. The key with Salmon is not to overcook it. This process should result in two things: A crisp, seared-in crust, and moist, flaky meat. 

I served the salmon with some roasted veggies - beets, rutabaga, and carrots. Wild rice. Paired with a bottle of dry white wine - I had a bottle of Sancere I'd been saving for something like this. A Chablis would be perfect, too.

Attach9321_20180523_214503_2 (2).jpg

(this picture does not do the color on the Salmon justice - wish I had more)

Also not pictured is the caprese salad of heirloom tomatoes and fresh mozzarella, garnished with a chiffonade of basil and an aged balsamic reduction. The reduction is very easy to make - reduce about 1 cup of aged balsamic vinegar with 1 tsp whole peppercorns and 1 tbsp honey. Strain out the peppercorns and drizzle over the salad. I'll be making that salad all summer as heirlooms come into season. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Haven't tried my hand at crab cakes. How'd you do them?

I'm not good at measurements unfortunately. But half a lb of lump crab, finely diced onion/celery/bell pepper, an egg, maybe a tbsp or two of mayo, a tbsp of brown mustard, a couple shots of worchestershire, juice of half a lemon, old Bay, 15 saltines crushed up pretty good... Mix it up well, but try not to beat up the crab bc you want the lumps to stay as intact as possible. That will make 3 nice fat cakes. Heat a pan to med-med high, get some vegetable oil hot, fry the cakes for 3 mins a side. We take ours with remoulade, a lemon wedge and hot sauce as condiments.

13 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'm not good at measurements unfortunately. But half a lb of lump crab, finely diced onion/celery/bell pepper, an egg, maybe a tbsp or two of mayo, a tbsp of brown mustard, a couple shots of worchestershire, juice of half a lemon, old Bay, 15 saltines crushed up pretty good... Mix it up well, but try not to beat up the crab bc you want the lumps to stay as intact as possible. That will make 3 nice fat cakes. Heat a pan to med-med high, get some vegetable oil hot, fry the cakes for 3 mins a side. We take ours with remoulade, a lemon wedge and hot sauce as condiments.

Is it possible to substitute or just not add mayo..........the smell alone makes me gag?.......still gets a thumbs up...thanks.

26 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Is it possible to substitute or just not add mayo..........the smell alone makes me gag?.......still gets a thumbs up...thanks.

As long as you have the egg to bind I'm sure you're good

One of my favorite things to do is to slow smoke a prime rib roast instead of using the traditional cooking style.  Adds a great oak flavor to the cut.  Smoke at 250 until the internal reaches about 130 for medium rare.  Let it sit for 10-15 minutes after and enjoy.  Should be about 135-140 internal temp when you cut it open.  It's freaking delicious and pretty easy.  I use Montreal seasoning generously on the roast before putting it in the smoke.

33739.jpeg

IMG1875301981.jpg

On 5/26/2018 at 6:15 AM, kevon67 said:

I'm with you kevon. Unfortunately if you lose the mayo, you're going to lose some significant moisture and some binding which could make the cakes dry and crumbly. Sub sour cream,  greek yogurt, or just some olive oil and an extra egg (after all, mayo is really just eggs and oil, with some lemon juice). 

On 5/26/2018 at 4:55 PM, Brad_ATX said:

One of my favorite things to do is to slow smoke a prime rib roast instead of using the traditional cooking style.  Adds a great oak flavor to the cut.  Smoke at 250 until the internal reaches about 130 for medium rare.  Let it sit for 10-15 minutes after and enjoy.  Should be about 135-140 internal temp when you cut it open.  It's freaking delicious and pretty easy.  I use Montreal seasoning generously on the roast before putting it in the smoke.

33739.jpeg

IMG1875301981.jpg

Image result for it's beautiful gif

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm with you kevon. Unfortunately if you lose the mayo, you're going to lose some significant moisture and some binding which could make the cakes dry and crumbly. Sub sour cream,  greek yogurt, or just some olive oil and an extra egg (after all, mayo is really just eggs and oil, with some lemon juice). 

I would rather use peanut butter?.........sour cream is my go to sub........I like egg, oil, and lemon juice....until it becomes mayo?.....I miss out on some good dishes that call for mayo sadly.........once found out Mellow Mushroom used mayo on their pizza......that was the end of that?

3 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

I would rather use peanut butter?.........sour cream is my go to sub........I like egg, oil, and lemon juice....until it becomes mayo?.....I miss out on some good dishes that call for mayo sadly.........once found out Mellow Mushroom used mayo on their pizza......that was the end of that?

For real?!?!

It actually makes total sense as long as you're not trying to make a traditional pizza, which I don't think they'd ever claim they're doing. But that's not something that had ever occurred to me. 

One way to take your grilled cheese up a subtle notch: use mayo on the side of the bread that you grill instead of butter. 

Just now, kevon67 said:

Can't stand the stuff, myself. I've learned to use sour cream or yogurt in most recipes... one or the other usually ends up not messing with the flavor too much. 

I will say, on the rare occasion I've made my own mayo for a requested recipe for someone else, it's tasted less vile than the stuff you buy. I'm sure there's a reason for that, but I don't know what it is.

As for peanut butter... I don't know about using it to make the crab cakes, but I bet they would taste amazing with a little Thai peanut sauce :)

Just now, McLoofus said:

One way to take your grilled cheese up a subtle notch: use mayo on the side of the bread that you grill instead of butter. 

Or... use a good garlic infused bread (preferably with chunks of roasted garlic) and a nice smoked gouda... mmmmmmmm. 

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Or... use a good garlic infused bread (preferably with chunks of roasted garlic) and a nice smoked gouda... mmmmmmmm. 

I'd marry smoked gouda if it was legal. 

Wait... is it legal???

Just now, McLoofus said:

Wait... is it legal???

I'm sure it is in California. And... I totally understand.

New thing that has popped up around here... roasted red pepper and smoked gouda soup. Kind of like heaven in a bowl.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

New thing that has popped up around here... roasted red pepper and smoked gouda soup. Kind of like heaven in a bowl.

*record scratch*

wut

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

For real?!?!

It actually makes total sense as long as you're not trying to make a traditional pizza, which I don't think they'd ever claim they're doing. But that's not something that had ever occurred to me. 

Had a friend that worked at MM.....she said they applied mayo just before adding toppings and placing in oven.....totally makes sense....baaarrfff

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Wait... is it legal???

You and me both........love it❤

15 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You would think I would learn to visit here on a full stomach ?..........that sounds sooooo good

43 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

lemon butter works OK, too

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Wait... is it legal???

I have a friend goes by TheDutchOne on xbox1......been gaming together about 5yrs........makes me want to cry when he discusss cheese and some of their native dishes.

14 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Had a friend that worked at MM.....she said they applied mayo just before adding toppings and placing in oven.....totally makes sense....baaarrfff

My Mom put mayo on her corn flakes

ETA - I adapted?

1 minute ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

My Mom put mayo on her corn flakes

la la la......I didnt hear that?

12 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

I have a friend goes by TheDutchOne on xbox1......been gaming together about 5yrs........makes me want to cry when he discusss cheese and some of their native dishes.

It's totally okay for us to just talk about cheese for awhile in this thread, isn't it?

Aw man. I love you, @Barnacle.

Archived