Open Club  ·  57 members

BBQ Boys

What's for Dinner?

Barnacle

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:35 PM, augolf1716 said:

Nice counter top but be careful putting that strainer with shrimp on top of it bare. That is if I'm seeing it correctly and nothing better then shrimp/grits

What is that mouth watering dessert to the left.........I swear I have gained 10lbs since being a member of this delicious club?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, kevon67 said:

What is that mouth watering dessert to the left.........I swear I have gained 10lbs since being a member of this delicious club?

Hah! Walnut brownies with cream cheese icing from Publix. You, sir, are clearly a dessert aficionado. 

• 2 weeks later...

Last night was fried chicken, grits/gravy, and chunked tomatoes (on that last, too hot for new fruit to set but I think we've got about a week's worth yet to ripen before we got'ta switch to Sand-Mountain imports). Not really BBQ, and not really even noteworthy except for an "only in Fairhope" angle.

For decades, I've been driving by and (on more than a few occasions) stopping (through the back bay-doors) by Fairhope Tire Co. I've recently learned (and, last night, confirmed) that the founder of this establishment is also the best source (if you bother to go in the front door) of coarse-milled grits in the neighborhood.

1jGvd9Z.jpg

16 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Last night was fried chicken, grits/gravy, and chunked tomatoes (on that last, too hot for new fruit to set but I think we've got about a week's worth yet to ripen before we got'ta switch to Sand-Mountain imports). Not really BBQ, and not really even noteworthy except for an "only in Fairhope" angle.

For decades, I've been driving by and (on more than a few occasions) stopping (through the back bay-doors) by Fairhope Tire Co. I've recently learned (and, last night, confirmed) that the founder of this establishment is also the best source (if you bother to go in the front door) of coarse-milled grits in the neighborhood.

1jGvd9Z.jpg

I need to find some down here. 

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I need to find some down here. 

Betcha it ain't a tire store in Hilton Head.

Network! Surely somebody in Low Country? (though, as I understand it, native-grown stones are as rare there as they are here)

1 minute ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Betcha it ain't a tire store in Hilton Head.

Network! Surely somebody in Low Country? (though, as I understand it, native-grown stones are as rare there as they are here)

Well, there's Geechie Boy, but they seem to be more of a "craft", regional brand than a "I know a guy at a tire store who prints his own labels on construction paper and lets his kids stuff them into the ziploc bags" brand. $6 for a pound and a half isn't terrible, though. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Well, there's Geechie Boy, but they seem to be more of a "craft", regional brand than a "I know a guy at a tire store who prints his own labels on construction paper and lets his kids stuff them into the ziploc bags" brand. $6 for a pound and a half isn't terrible, though. 

Cool.

They good?

ETA - Did I miss something here? 

If so, no offense intended.

Good grits is good.

13 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Cool.

They good?

To me, yes. But my palate might not discern at the level yours does, Camel-informed though it may be.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

To me, yes. But my palate might not discern at the level yours does, Camel-informed though it may be.

Shoot! We were typing over each other?

ETA - So what do you need to find? Though probably of little help from here, might help me diagnose where the conversation seemingly went astray.

1 hour ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Shoot! We were typing over each other?

ETA - So what do you need to find? Though probably of little help from here, might help me diagnose where the conversation seemingly went astray.

I thought we were okay! Grits. I want to find hyper local grits.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Dinner was hobo packs of potatoes, hamburgers (for my girls that don't like shrimp) and these awesome shrimp skewers. Sauce was butter, salt, red pepper flakes and lemon juice. Bottom of the skewers was sugared. 

ma9jHiN.jpg

Honestly don't think I've ever gotten my Weber as hot as I got it last night. Top of the gauge is 650 and it was easily maxed out. Shrimp only needed about 4 minutes to cook completely 

15 hours ago, AUDub said:

Dinner was hobo packs of potatoes, hamburgers (for my girls that don't like shrimp) and these awesome shrimp skewers. Sauce was butter, salt, red pepper flakes and lemon juice. Bottom of the skewers was sugared. 

ma9jHiN.jpg

Honestly don't think I've ever gotten my Weber as hot as I got it last night. Top of the gauge is 650 and it was easily maxed out. Shrimp only needed about 4 minutes to cook completely 

So I always have trouble flipping shrimp on single skewers, and double skewering them is a PITA. What's your method?

And thanks for the reminder that I need to order a new grate for my Weber. 

Using my grill glove I'll slightly elevate one end of the skewer by hand, then snatch all the way to the end with a long pair of tongs and rotate them. Will tighten things back up after setting them down with the tongs if necessary, though it rarely is, and you gotta be careful with the wooden skewers cause they snap easily if you aren't careful. 

40 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Using my grill glove I'll slightly elevate one end of the skewer by hand, then snatch all the way to the end with a long pair of tongs and rotate them. Will tighten things back up after setting them down with the tongs if necessary, though it rarely is, and you gotta be careful with the wooden skewers cause they snap easily if you aren't careful. 

Ahhh, okay. And I've got just the grill tongs for the job. I've never thought about using the length of the tongs to support the weight of the shrimp (if I'm reading that correctly). Perfect. 

Archived