Open Club  ·  57 members

BBQ Boys

Wings on the BGE

RunInRed

By far the best thing I've made so far ...

The Meat:

Organic Chicken Party Wings from Costco.  They come in a 3-pack of 1st and 2nd wing portions (drum and flat) which is about 5-6lbs ...  40-50 wings.  Most of them had pretty good meat on them.

1490197936171.jpg

The Marinade / Brine:

• 2 Cups Hot Sauce
  • 1 Cup Zesty Italian Dressing
  • 1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
  • 1/2 Cup Worcestershire Sauce

I put it all in two large ziploc bags and let it sit in the fridge for about 3 hours.

The Seasoning

First Coat: Kosher Salt, Coarse Ground Pepper, Garlic Powder

Second Pass: Bad Byron's Butt Rub

The Grill:

Indirect at 275 with a couple of chunks of cherry wood.

The Cook:

I let them go for about 45 minutes and then flipped them.  Once flipped, I gave them another light dusting of the Bad Byron's Butt Rub.  I ended up cooking them close to 180 internal temp.  I was afraid I had overcooked at first but I had guest over so I wanted to make sure they were done.

image.png

The Verdict:

Outstanding!  Every one loved them.  Seriously, these things had all the right flavors.  Not too hot, not bland.  Dip 'em in a little ranch dressing and boom!  Try the recipe, trust me. 

On 6/15/2018 at 8:04 PM, RunInRed said:

The Marinade / Brine:

• 2 Cups Hot Saude
  • 1 Cup Zesty Italian Dressing
  • 1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
  • 1/2 Cup Worcestershire Sauce

Thank goodness for Zesty Italian. A great go to marinade on chicken, fish,  or pork IMO. 

When comes to chicken I have a couple of great sauce recipes. Supposedly both the official War Eagle BBQ sauce according to a few old timers around Auburn. Know the base in one is Heinze 57, and Ketchup. The other uses mustard, cowboy BBQ sauce, vinegar, and Texas Pete. Will look up and post.

Keep forgetting this club. Thanks

• 2 months later...

I do this exact same recipe I got it from YouTube on How to BBQ Right.That guy has some great recipes for everything. My wings don’t turn out crisp but they are delicious. I never catch them in time to put them over direct heat to crisp. 

I will say it’s hard to find wings that have a good amount of meat on them. Any suggestions for non Costco Members? I get some from Piggly Wiggly but they are small. I found some frozen ones from Walmart that are larger but I don’t see them in stock all the time, and they are frozen Great Value brand.

Archived