Movies

AUBwins

41 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Bucket list. Really wanting to plan a trip out there to fish. 

I'm not much of a fisherman, but I spent a summer in Glacier and, well, I'm still looking for excuses to work that into a conversation 20+ years later. 

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm not much of a fisherman, but I spent a summer in Glacier and, well, I'm still looking for excuses to work that into a conversation 20+ years later. 

That's awesome, what were you doing? Some sort of NOLS?

11 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

That's awesome, what were you doing? Some sort of NOLS?

Nah. Worked in the park for the summer. 

A friend at Tulane showed me her pictures from doing that the summer prior and I became infatuated with the idea. Just absolutely blew my mind. My academics at Auburn went in the crapper that year, and my girlfriend at the time graduated, so we went up there for the summer. Her for one last hoorah before entering the corporate world, me more to do the stereotypical "go out west and find myself" thing. A couple friends of mine also went up there, although they worked in different locations around the park. I was a sous chef in one of the lodges. 

I will insist that my kids do something similar. It wasn't perfect and I'd do some things differently, but it was one of those touchstone experiences in my life that made the world a much bigger and more interesting place and probably set me on a different course for the better. 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Nah. Worked in the park for the summer. 

A friend at Tulane showed me her pictures from doing that the summer prior and I became infatuated with the idea. Just absolutely blew my mind. My academics at Auburn went in the crapper that year, and my girlfriend at the time graduated, so we went up there the next summer. Her for one last hoorah before entering the corporate world, me more to do the stereotypical "go out west and find myself" thing. A couple friends of mine also went up there, although they worked in different locations around the park. 

I will insist that my kids do something similar. It wasn't perfect and I'd do some things differently, but it was one of those touchstone experiences in my life that made the world a much bigger and more interesting place and probably set me on a different course for the better. 

Is this an appropriate response to this post/thread?

71BWY0TNWML._SY445_.gif

I'm also going to try and encourage my kids to take a year off before college. Go out west, to Europe, whatever. Go get a job and experience the "real" world. I seriously regret not doing that. I didn't really appreciate my undergraduate education. I wish I would have. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Is this an appropriate response to this post/thread?

71BWY0TNWML._SY445_.gif

I'm also going to try and encourage my kids to take a year off before college. Go out west, to Europe, whatever. Go get a job and experience the "real" world. I seriously regret not doing that. I didn't really appreciate my undergraduate education. I wish I would have. 

1. Yes

2.  Yes, a gap year. Definitely on the list of some-things similar for us! Can't imagine how much different my life would have been. Happy with where I am, but I might have chosen a slightly different road to get here.

3. "I didn't really appreciate my undergraduate education. I wish I would have." 

Image result for nodding head yes gif

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Bucket list. Really wanting to plan a trip out there to fish. 

Not relevant, and not my Mothers favorite, but

giddy w./ my re-found broadband connection:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Way to many to mention. 

What's your most recent favorite? 

Edited by AUBwins
We probably weren't born for your 1st favorite :)

On 8/25/2018 at 10:34 AM, AUBwins said:

What's your most recent favorite? 

Gone With The Wind...................:poke: seriously haven't gone to actual movie theater in years just wait for it on Netflix or On Demand

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Gone With The Wind...................:poke: seriously haven't gone to actual movie theater in years just wait for it on Netflix or On Demand

Pretty much the same here.  Although I will also let the library get it in and borrow it for a week free of charge.

• Like 1

Here are some things you only see in the movies. Add your own observations.

1.  You’re very likely to survive any battle in any war, unless you show someone a picture of your sweetheart back home.  Then you’re in trouble

2.  The Eiffel Tower can be seen from any window of any building in Paris

3.  Computer passwords are easy to crack - they are always the third thing you think of, and a picture or poster across the room is the key

4.  When the hero and baddie finally meet, both guns are immediately lost and they’ll take turns punching each other

5.  All beds have special L-shaped sheets which reach to armpit level on women but only up to the waist of the man lying beside her

6.  When playing back phone messages, people will casually wander into the kitchen for the first two short messages, but run to the answer phone for the third call (mother/killer/dead friend etc)

7.  When you turn out the light to go to bed, everything in your room will still be visible, just slightly bluish

8.  People deal with stressful, life-threatening situations by making quick witted quips

9.  No-one, but no-one uses Microsoft Windows – everyone uses unique operating systems.  All of these computer systems, however mundane, are full of animated graphics and enormous download bars in the middle of the screen

10.  When paying for a taxi, you don’t need to look at your wallet as you take out a note. Just grab one out at random and hand it over

11.  The ventilation system of any building is the perfect hiding place. Nobody will ever think of looking for you in there and you can travel to any other part of the building undetected

12.  It is not necessary to say “Hello” or “Goodbye” in telephone conversations.  Also, if you’ve been disconnected it’s always worth frantically beating the cradle and saying “Hello? Hello?” repeatedly, or holding the phone handset and looking at it quizzically

13.  If our hero gets into a fight, he will invariable end up with a small cut in the right corner of his mouth.  He’ll make sure he wipes the blood on the back of his hand, and give it a disapproving look

14.  Anyone can land a plane perfectly as long as there is someone in the control tower to talk you down

15.  Sex is always begun in the missionary position and finished with the woman on top

16.  Shots fired at people hiding around corners always strike the edge of the building, exploding some brickwork near the character’s face

17.  On a police stake-out, the action will only ever take place when food is being consumed

18.  Being an aging detective and drinking whiskey alone in a bar makes you irresistible to women

19.  If a good person dies with their eyes open, a friend will tenderly close them. If a villain dies with his eyes open the camera will linger on his face until just before the actor has to blink

20.  Every single sporting event is won by the underdogs in the last second

21.  All phone numbers, regardless of where they are, have the area code 555

22.  When a plane is low on fuel, it helps to tap the fuel gauge – this even works on multi-million dollar jet planes

23.  Only men are alcoholics. But luckily, any alcoholic can quit drinking instantly when faced with an important challenge. Not only that, the instant he stops drinking, all his faculties return and he won’t suffer any withdrawal

24.  Dogs always know who’s bad, and bark at them

25.  All bombs have different colored wires inside

26.  If someone has “fixed” the brakes in a car, the driver won’t think to use the hand-brake and gears to slow down – but proceeds to drive at high speed through a busy city or off a cliff

27.  Anyone who sheepishly picks up a musical instrument and is humble about their ability can play like a professional

28.  If you decide to start dancing in the street, everyone you bump into will be able to dance and know all the steps

29.  In space battles, weapons can only be fired when you are in visual range

30.  It is always possible to find a parking spot directly outside any building you’re visiting

31.  All things are bullet proof – cars, tables, other bodies, etc

32.  All police services (particularly in New York) have an unlimited supply of police cars. They also have the unluckiest (and worst trained) drivers, resulting in head on collisions, smashing parked cars, falling into water and of course the obligatory flying-roll, causing the car to land upside down and crushing the lights (with the siren fizzling out as if it’s run out of batteries)

33.  Television news bulletins usually contain a story which affects you personally at the precise moment you turn it on – after which you turn the TV off

34.  During all police investigations it is obligatory to visit a strip club at least once

35.  Any lock can be picked with a credit card or paperclip in seconds. The only exception to this is if it’s the door to a burning building with a child inside, in which case you have to shoulder-barge it. The person banging into a door with his shoulder is never hurt

36.  All bombs are fitted with electronic timing devices with large red digital displays so you know exactly when they are going to explode

37.  Should you wish to pass yourself off as a German officer, you don’t need to learn to speak German. Simply speaking English with a German accent will do. Similarly, when they are alone, all German soldiers speak English to each other

38.  Once applied, lipstick never rubs off. Even when scuba diving

39.  Any police officer about to retire from the force will more often than not die on their last day (especially if their family have planned a party)

40.  When staying in a haunted house, women should investigate any strange noises whilst wearing their most revealing underwear

41.  All grocery shopping involves the purchase of a French loaf and fruit and cheese which are placed into two large, open brown paper bags

42.  Don’t panic if you’re heavily outnumbered in a martial arts fight, your opponents will wait patiently to attack you one by one by dancing around you in a threatening manner until it’s their turn to fight

43.  Whenever a microphone is turned on it will immediately feedback

44.  Guns are like disposable razors. If you run out of bullets, just throw the gun away. You will always find another one

45.  All single women have a cat

46.  Cars will explode instantly when struck by a single bullet

47.  No matter how savagely a spaceship is attacked, its internal gravity system is never damaged

48.  If being chased on foot through a city you can usually find cover in a passing carnival or parade or demonstration

49.  One man shooting at 20 men has a better chance of killing them than they have of killing him. Baddies have no gun training, are poor shots, and fire in wild panic when confronted by the hero

50.  All master villains are evil, but clever – but never actually clever enough to kill their nemesis, our hero. Rather, they devise elaborate devices incorporating fuses, pulleys, deadly gases, lasers, man-eating sharks, etc, which our hero always escapes

51. If a woman is alone in a haunted house and hears a noise, she will creep around dark rooms to find the cause rather than running out of the house immediately!

52. Big Ben / St Pauls can be seen from every window in London

53. When text comes up on any computer screen, it makes a noise

54. “Teenagers” in horror films are always aged around 25 - 30

55. When said teenagers are being pursued by some maniac or demonic figure, they always find it better to split-up

56. Anyone can jump through a window without a scratch, although the window breaks into a million pieces

57. Each and every tiny US village is inhabited by at least one psychopath

58. Mozart's Serenade in G is always played in the background of any diner party

59. No one ever needs to use the toilet, nothing ever happens when the hero is taking a crap

60. The hero can be punched, kicked, shot, etc, without expression, but as soon as his love interest tenderly dabs at a scratch with a damp hanky, he will wince with pain

61. Killers (good or bad) always talk for longer than they should before delivering the fatal blow (or shot), giving the rescuers the vital seconds required to come and ruin it all

62. Cars are always parked with their doors unlocked, and can be started without keys

63. Sex is never messy or embarrassingly noisy

64. The more days the detective goes without bathing, brushing his teeth, shaving, or changing his clothes, the more irresistible he is to women

65. In horror/sci fi movies, the monster from an alien world/center of the earth/secret government genetics lab always appears on the outskirts of a small town in Kansas, Oklahoma, or Texas (never a big city), and the first people he kills are teenagers at a local Lovers' Lane

66. Sociopaths listen to classical music, usually Bach or Beethoven, especially when (or just after) committing one of their gruesome murders

67. Cops only have this one case to work on, and there is never any paperwork to fill out, except as comedic relief

68. Surveillance camera footage can be zoomed in to reveal details at 4K HD resolution

69. They never have to hang around waiting for their table in a restaurant

70. Anything that goes over a cliff will blow up

71. In sci-fi movies, space ships (small and large) fly like aircraft, make noise, and explode just as they would in atmosphere

72. They are always served promptly in a bar

73. Women drink wine, men drink beer or whiskey, only gays and floozies drink cocktails

74. Beaches are never over-populated by fat people

75. If our hero gets shot or beat to a pulp and is on the verge of death, totally defeated, he will find the inner reserve to claw back up and defeat the enemy nonetheless. Because, of course, that's why he is our hero!

76. The retarded guy always does something really smart or saves the day

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AURex said:

Here are some things you only see in the movies. Add your own observations.

1.  You’re very likely to survive any battle in any war, unless you show someone a picture of your sweetheart back home.  Then you’re in trouble

2.  The Eiffel Tower can be seen from any window of any building in Paris

3.  Computer passwords are easy to crack - they are always the third thing you think of, and a picture or poster across the room is the key

4.  When the hero and baddie finally meet, both guns are immediately lost and they’ll take turns punching each other

5.  All beds have special L-shaped sheets which reach to armpit level on women but only up to the waist of the man lying beside her

6.  When playing back phone messages, people will casually wander into the kitchen for the first two short messages, but run to the answer phone for the third call (mother/killer/dead friend etc)

7.  When you turn out the light to go to bed, everything in your room will still be visible, just slightly bluish

8.  People deal with stressful, life-threatening situations by making quick witted quips

9.  No-one, but no-one uses Microsoft Windows – everyone uses unique operating systems.  All of these computer systems, however mundane, are full of animated graphics and enormous download bars in the middle of the screen

10.  When paying for a taxi, you don’t need to look at your wallet as you take out a note. Just grab one out at random and hand it over

11.  The ventilation system of any building is the perfect hiding place. Nobody will ever think of looking for you in there and you can travel to any other part of the building undetected

12.  It is not necessary to say “Hello” or “Goodbye” in telephone conversations.  Also, if you’ve been disconnected it’s always worth frantically beating the cradle and saying “Hello? Hello?” repeatedly, or holding the phone handset and looking at it quizzically

13.  If our hero gets into a fight, he will invariable end up with a small cut in the right corner of his mouth.  He’ll make sure he wipes the blood on the back of his hand, and give it a disapproving look

14.  Anyone can land a plane perfectly as long as there is someone in the control tower to talk you down

15.  Sex is always begun in the missionary position and finished with the woman on top

16.  Shots fired at people hiding around corners always strike the edge of the building, exploding some brickwork near the character’s face

17.  On a police stake-out, the action will only ever take place when food is being consumed

18.  Being an aging detective and drinking whiskey alone in a bar makes you irresistible to women

19.  If a good person dies with their eyes open, a friend will tenderly close them. If a villain dies with his eyes open the camera will linger on his face until just before the actor has to blink

20.  Every single sporting event is won by the underdogs in the last second

21.  All phone numbers, regardless of where they are, have the area code 555

22.  When a plane is low on fuel, it helps to tap the fuel gauge – this even works on multi-million dollar jet planes

23.  Only men are alcoholics. But luckily, any alcoholic can quit drinking instantly when faced with an important challenge. Not only that, the instant he stops drinking, all his faculties return and he won’t suffer any withdrawal

24.  Dogs always know who’s bad, and bark at them

25.  All bombs have different colored wires inside

26.  If someone has “fixed” the brakes in a car, the driver won’t think to use the hand-brake and gears to slow down – but proceeds to drive at high speed through a busy city or off a cliff

27.  Anyone who sheepishly picks up a musical instrument and is humble about their ability can play like a professional

28.  If you decide to start dancing in the street, everyone you bump into will be able to dance and know all the steps

29.  In space battles, weapons can only be fired when you are in visual range

30.  It is always possible to find a parking spot directly outside any building you’re visiting

31.  All things are bullet proof – cars, tables, other bodies, etc

32.  All police services (particularly in New York) have an unlimited supply of police cars. They also have the unluckiest (and worst trained) drivers, resulting in head on collisions, smashing parked cars, falling into water and of course the obligatory flying-roll, causing the car to land upside down and crushing the lights (with the siren fizzling out as if it’s run out of batteries)

33.  Television news bulletins usually contain a story which affects you personally at the precise moment you turn it on – after which you turn the TV off

34.  During all police investigations it is obligatory to visit a strip club at least once

35.  Any lock can be picked with a credit card or paperclip in seconds. The only exception to this is if it’s the door to a burning building with a child inside, in which case you have to shoulder-barge it. The person banging into a door with his shoulder is never hurt

36.  All bombs are fitted with electronic timing devices with large red digital displays so you know exactly when they are going to explode

37.  Should you wish to pass yourself off as a German officer, you don’t need to learn to speak German. Simply speaking English with a German accent will do. Similarly, when they are alone, all German soldiers speak English to each other

38.  Once applied, lipstick never rubs off. Even when scuba diving

39.  Any police officer about to retire from the force will more often than not die on their last day (especially if their family have planned a party)

40.  When staying in a haunted house, women should investigate any strange noises whilst wearing their most revealing underwear

41.  All grocery shopping involves the purchase of a French loaf and fruit and cheese which are placed into two large, open brown paper bags

42.  Don’t panic if you’re heavily outnumbered in a martial arts fight, your opponents will wait patiently to attack you one by one by dancing around you in a threatening manner until it’s their turn to fight

43.  Whenever a microphone is turned on it will immediately feedback

44.  Guns are like disposable razors. If you run out of bullets, just throw the gun away. You will always find another one

45.  All single women have a cat

46.  Cars will explode instantly when struck by a single bullet

47.  No matter how savagely a spaceship is attacked, its internal gravity system is never damaged

48.  If being chased on foot through a city you can usually find cover in a passing carnival or parade or demonstration

49.  One man shooting at 20 men has a better chance of killing them than they have of killing him. Baddies have no gun training, are poor shots, and fire in wild panic when confronted by the hero

50.  All master villains are evil, but clever – but never actually clever enough to kill their nemesis, our hero. Rather, they devise elaborate devices incorporating fuses, pulleys, deadly gases, lasers, man-eating sharks, etc, which our hero always escapes

51. If a woman is alone in a haunted house and hears a noise, she will creep around dark rooms to find the cause rather than running out of the house immediately!

52. Big Ben / St Pauls can be seen from every window in London

53. When text comes up on any computer screen, it makes a noise

54. “Teenagers” in horror films are always aged around 25 - 30

55. When said teenagers are being pursued by some maniac or demonic figure, they always find it better to split-up

56. Anyone can jump through a window without a scratch, although the window breaks into a million pieces

57. Each and every tiny US village is inhabited by at least one psychopath

58. Mozart's Serenade in G is always played in the background of any diner party

59. No one ever needs to use the toilet, nothing ever happens when the hero is taking a crap

60. The hero can be punched, kicked, shot, etc, without expression, but as soon as his love interest tenderly dabs at a scratch with a damp hanky, he will wince with pain

61. Killers (good or bad) always talk for longer than they should before delivering the fatal blow (or shot), giving the rescuers the vital seconds required to come and ruin it all

62. Cars are always parked with their doors unlocked, and can be started without keys

63. Sex is never messy or embarrassingly noisy

64. The more days the detective goes without bathing, brushing his teeth, shaving, or changing his clothes, the more irresistible he is to women

65. In horror/sci fi movies, the monster from an alien world/center of the earth/secret government genetics lab always appears on the outskirts of a small town in Kansas, Oklahoma, or Texas (never a big city), and the first people he kills are teenagers at a local Lovers' Lane

66. Sociopaths listen to classical music, usually Bach or Beethoven, especially when (or just after) committing one of their gruesome murders

67. Cops only have this one case to work on, and there is never any paperwork to fill out, except as comedic relief

68. Surveillance camera footage can be zoomed in to reveal details at 4K HD resolution

69. They never have to hang around waiting for their table in a restaurant

70. Anything that goes over a cliff will blow up

71. In sci-fi movies, space ships (small and large) fly like aircraft, make noise, and explode just as they would in atmosphere

72. They are always served promptly in a bar

73. Women drink wine, men drink beer or whiskey, only gays and floozies drink cocktails

74. Beaches are never over-populated by fat people

75. If our hero gets shot or beat to a pulp and is on the verge of death, totally defeated, he will find the inner reserve to claw back up and defeat the enemy nonetheless. Because, of course, that's why he is our hero!

76. The retarded guy always does something really smart or saves the day

My God I'm speechless and tired

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:44 AM, alexava said:

Tombstone,  Bull Durham,  Harlem Nights,  Good Will Hunting 

Can watch Tombstone anytime anywhere ?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Can watch Tombstone anytime anywhere ?

Yep, pulp fiction too. I don’t know how I left it off. But Good Will Hunting may be my favorite. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2018 at 7:53 PM, augolf1716 said:

My God I'm speechless and tired

Yep he pretty much covered it.  Lol 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Just finished a very weird movie. The Hateful 8... so weird I might watch it again 

I enjoyed that one. No deep meaning, no tricky dialogue. Just a bloody, fun/bloody fun story. 

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I enjoyed that one. No deep meaning, no tricky dialogue. Just a bloody, fun/bloody fun story. 

Well maybe I won’t watch it again then. I get off work at 2:30 or 3:30 and watch something on iPad till I fall asleep. Sometimes my overlaps don’t overlap and I miss a major part to the plot. I was wondering if I did here. But I hate the ending. Did he bleed out or get his nuts sealed up???? I hate loose ends

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Well maybe I won’t watch it again then. I get off work at 2:30 or 3:30 and watch something on iPad till I fall asleep. Sometimes my overlaps don’t overlap and I miss a major part to the plot. I was wondering if I did here. But I hate the ending. Did he bleed out or get his nuts sealed up???? I hate loose ends

Sorry man, I hope I didn't say anything to sour you on it. I really like that movie. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Sorry man, I hope I didn't say anything to sour you on it. I really like that movie. 

Not at all. you saved me 3+ hours of rewatching looking for that deep meaning that you said don't exist. I liked it but i just though i was missing something.

Edited by alexava

26 minutes ago, alexava said:

Not at all. you saved me 3+ hours of rewatching looking for that deep meaning that you said don't exist. I liked it but i just though i was missing something.

I personally don't think so. 

Hmm. Now I want to watch it again LOL.

• Haha 1

@AURex great list. I have noticed that every horror movie killer (Jason, Michael Myers, etc.) walks everywhere but they can somehow always be just around the corner or tree from the victim who is running