Open Club  ·  21 members

AUF DIY

Tools...

Tiger Refuge

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

I recall several years ago being asked to put in a new toilet and vanity in my daughter's home.  Her husband who is a great father and husband wanted to help...probably felt some obligation to pitch in....

I’ve had my father in law’s help and I’m sure he hated all the questions. Awesome man that was patient enough to teach though, so I tried to absorb. He basically prodded me into DIY mode. When the hail storms came, we basically pocketed the money and fixed the windows, siding, and roof by ourselves. Was surprisingly an enjoyable experience because to most people he’s just a grump. 

59 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Was surprisingly an enjoyable experience

I love to do this stuff...at another place in DYI,  I put up a couple pix of my recent project.....I get antsy if I'm not making sawdust after a while....making lots of it now...and having fun...  Plus it's hard to find good help to do smaller jobs around the house....

On 7/5/2019 at 4:29 PM, AU64 said:

I try..and my sweet daughter always has a "honey do" list for me.  I worried for years if her husband minded about me doing "his" job.....but turns out, he's good with it.:)   and I have fun . 

I don't have to worry about that with my stepdad, lol. Good part is that I also don't have to worry about him questioning my man credentials when I don't know how to do something.

My dad is much more of a do-it-yourselfer. As in, he'd rather build an addition to the house himself over the course of 6+ yrs than pay somebody to do it. Which means he's always got too long a list of his own projects to help me with mine. Being ~6 hrs away plays into that. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I don't have to worry about that with my stepdad, lol. Good part is that I also don't have to worry about him questioning my man credentials when I don't know how to do something.

My dad is much more of a do-it-yourselfer. As in, he'd rather build an addition to the house himself over the course of 6+ yrs than pay somebody to do it. Which means he's always got too long a list of his own projects to help me with mine. Being ~6 hrs away plays into that. 

I'm along the lines of your dad I guess...hate to pay someone to do something I can do myself....but I'm also impatient so have to find the middle ground....plus my knees are going and I need to do work where I can stand up which is fine for things I do in my workshop.   Even have an area where I can do the assembly on a nice level sturdy table and not have to keep squatting down to do the job.  

As for you.....just keep doing projects that interest you and keep learning.   I started doing this stuff with a Skil saw 50 years ago....and increased my tool inventory over the years, read some books, subscribed to some woodworking magazines which inspired me and gave me ideas.....and kept looking for more complicated projects I could do.    JMO but it's pretty much a lifetime hobby.  

Just now, AU64 said:

I'm along the lines of your dad I guess...hate to pay someone to do something I can do myself....but I'm also impatient so have to find the middle ground....plus my knees are going and I need to do work where I can stand up which is fine for things I do in my workshop.   Even have an area where I can do the assembly on a nice level sturdy table and not have to keep squatting down to do the job.  

As for you.....just keep doing projects that interest you and keep learning.   I started doing this stuff with a Skil saw 50 years ago....and increased my tool inventory over the years, read some books, subscribed to some woodworking magazines which inspired me and gave me ideas.....and kept looking for more complicated projects I could do.    JMO but it's pretty much a lifetime hobby.  

I think once my kids require a little less hands-on time (4 yr old and a  7 mo old) I will be able to get back into it. Also, you've already given me some great tips on how to make the process cleaner and more efficient, so that it doesn't take as long just to get started and clean up after. 

I tried to clean/organize my garage yesterday so I would have better access to my work bench, but a half-full paint can fell off a shelf and hadn't been properly re-sealed, so I got to waste half an hour cleaning that up and then was called back into parent duty. Actually, that sentence completely summarizes my DIY lifestyle at this point in time. 

52 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

but a half-full paint can fell off a shelf and hadn't been properly re-sealed,

My lifelong fear.....dropped a few but fortunately most have hit with the bottom down....and nothing serious to clean up. 

Just now, AU64 said:

My lifelong fear.....dropped a few but fortunately most have hit with the bottom down....and nothing serious to clean up. 

If it hadn't been the garage, I'd probably still be fighting it. I might go back to it with some paint thinner or the pressure washer at some point... maybe...

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

If it hadn't been the garage, I'd probably still be fighting it. I might go back to it with some paint thinner or the pressure washer at some point... maybe...

Maybe time to paint the garage floor a nice battleship gray..:)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 11:59 AM, McLoofus said:

I tried to clean/organize my garage yesterday so I would have better access to my work bench, but a half-full paint can fell off a shelf and hadn't been properly re-sealed, so I got to waste half an hour cleaning that up and then was called back into parent duty. Actually, that sentence completely summarizes my DIY lifestyle at this point in time. 

Completely understand!  Measure, cut, cuss, force it to fit.  That's my woodworking motto

• 6 months later...

I'm no wood worker, just a DIY hack who wants to be one when he grows up.

I bought the DW618PKB 2-1/4 HP EVS Fixed Base / Plunge Router Combo Kit with Soft Start from Home Depot last year.  I haven't done a lot with it so far, but I do like it.

I plan on making a DIY router table and installing the fixed base in it, but that'll have to be later. 

I've had the corded Rigid circular saw for a while, and I'd give it a thumbs up.

Also, I got a cordless Ryobi drill/impact driver set a few years back...and later got a Ryobi  multi-tool and hammer drill, that all use the same batteries.  They are pretty handy.

If you don't have an impact driver ....get one. I have no idea why I had never gotten one all these years.

I still use an old Dewalt compound miter saw that's about 25 years old. Still kickin'.

Archived