Open Club  ·  21 members

AUF DIY

Bought a house and renovating!!

tgr4lfe

Sooo, i haven't been on AUF in quite awhile b/c i bought a house and closed May 17th and have been renovating. Just now seeing this DIY club and so had to jump right in since i do woodworking and love DIY.  My design idea was what I call Rustic Modern, lol, wood, metal tones, but with color and modern features.  I flipped around the layout of the kitchen to add the peninsula moving the stove to the peninsula side, shifted the dishwasher location and moved the fridge location.  This has added a LOT more counter and cabinet space than the previous layout.  I have done multi colored slate tile floor, more modern looking lower cabinets, pallet wood countertops with poured epoxy resin finish.  My uppers will be open shelving style, galvanized pipe with walnut shelves.  The back side of the peninsula will be finished with pallet wood and feature a flips up walnut slab bar on lockable hinges.  The walnut bar slab will fold down into the pallet wood creating a visual "art piece" with the walnut appearing inlaid in the pallet wood wall and have a foot rest at the bottom, possibly finished off with tin.  

Anyway, I moved in, still not finished renovating the weekend of June 16th.  I am redoing the kitchen completely, repainting the living room and redoing the flooring on the lower level which will include living room, master bedroom and closet/storage room.  Here are couple of pics from the day i closed and a pic of the kitchen (from the listing) as i didn't take a pic of it before i started demo.  Then a couple of the pics of when i started the demo.  I'll post more pics of the progress before i show you what it is looking like now as i'm VERY close to having the kitchen done.  I've pretty much been doing all of this by myself.  I did have help with the mud work b/c i suck at doing the finish mud coats and i had help from an electrician doing some wiring, adding two outlets, moving the range outlet, and adding lines for under shelf LEDs.

Here are some of the initial pics and the work progress....I'll give folks a few days to see these before i post more of the progression pics of base cabinet installation, and countertop build and epoxy pour.

Right after closing.jpg

Kitchen BEFORE.JPG

Kitchen demo 1.JPG

Kitchen demo 2.JPG

Demo 3.JPG

Demo 4.JPG

Demo 5 damaged subfloor at back door.JPG

Demo 6 kids and i taking up old tile.JPG

Demo 7 kids and i after all the old tile was taken out.JPG

Demo 8 old tile gone and old linoleum.JPG

Demo 9 cement board installation.JPG

Demo 10 cement board installation half way there.JPG

Demo 11 cement board complete.JPG

Demo 12 cement board complete.JPG

Demo 13 old backsplash removal.JPG

Demo 14 new drywall.JPG

Demo 15 new drywall.JPG

Demo 16 mud work.JPG

Demo 17 mud work.JPG

Demo 18 primer painting.JPG

Demo 19 living room primer.JPG

Demo 20 living room primer.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

My knees won't let me do the up and down stuff any more ….so I am envious of what you are doing.  I can still do shop work but nothing serious like what you are doing now.       Great work....and a good crew to help too.....keep us posted.....:)

That sucks.  I love doing it.  I'm hoping that within a year or so, maybe less, i can do the woodworking and remodeling full time.  I just have to get my new work shop up and organized.  Its got to be wired and insulated and all that, plus new tools.  Here are some updated pics.  I've got a stove but i freaking cracked teh glass top unloading it so that is a $300 part (unless someone here has a connection for appliance parts).  Next is to start saving up and buying the metal pipe for the upper shelves.  I think i'm going to get the square pipe welded and i'm doing the walnut shelves that i will fabricate myself from slabs.  I'm going to be installing new floating wood floor in the rest of the downstairs that has a walnut finish as well.  I'll get that done next as i steadily buy the pipe materials.  I'm going to make a light fixture for the kitchen from moonshine mason jars and walnut as well to replace that stupid ceiling fan, but utilizing the light bulb sockets and LED bulbs that are in it.  

Kitchen Left.jpg

Kitchen Right.jpg

Kitchen long countertop.jpg

Kitchen stove corner.jpg

Kitchen peninsula.jpg

• 1 month later...

Minor progress as i've been working on some woodworking projects for clients.  

I fabricated a replacement window ledge from a slab of live edge black walnut then some heavy coats of clear 3x polyurethane.  Treated the live edge with a wood hardner before using the polyurethane.  

I then decided to tile the entry way so no direct water on the laminate floating wood flooring.  I've started on the walnut finish laminate wood floating floors as well.  

and i've built the frame for surfacing the back of the peninsula and stove.  I changed out the 2x4s with pallet wood so it would blend in better with the the pallet wood and used a 3/8' piece of plywood to attach the pallet wood that i'm going to use to cover the back of the cabinet and stove.  The two vertical pieces are for a some flip up lockable hinges that i'm going to attach a walnut slab to as a flip up bar top.  When folded down it will almost be flush with the pallet wood back but obviously pop out once a clear coat is applied like the window ledge.  The rectangular framing at the bottom will be a foot rest.  The face of it will be covered in recycled tin roofing, capped on top with pallet wood. 

My upper shelves are going to be walnut slabs as well that will sit on square galvanized tubing.  I'm having to save up to do those as i'm going to have them welded.  At least that's my plan as of now, but i might revert back to the round pipe kits from amazon that run about $70-$80/ set of 2 that will be a lot less expensive, but the wended square tubing is much more the look i want.  

IMG-3138.JPG

IMG-3282.JPG

IMG-3299.JPG

58855108611--65411CAF-E552-48B8-A87E-6BF2DD92B790.JPG

Peninsula back framing.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 1/27/2020 at 9:36 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

Awesome work man! Love the love edge windowsill!

Anxious to get my tax refund so i can get the metal work done for my upper shelves.  

Archived