Is '8-5' Gus Malzahn due for a big year?

RunInRed

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

God is that what’s you are so hung up on? The point is Florida did not look like a quality team! Them playing us in the swamp means absolutely nothing unless they tremendously get much better. 

Yes, that is what had me thinking that you were saying something other than what you were trying to say. I said I got the gist of it and asked that we just drop it because we were arguing semantics. You continued to be contentious. 

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to original subject..

I believe AU will go 8-4 in the regular season. The bowl game result depends on if we play a Texas type team or a N Carolina St type team. As long as we don't get "embarrassed badly" by our main rivals Gus will be back in 2020.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I don’t think anybody understands you. I do know you have been arguing about quality of schedule and what most of us are telling you is 

1. Preseason rankings don’t mean a thing 

2. Based on the game we saw the other day, UF is doesn’t look up to par as a quality opponent 

if you want to get hung up on semantics that’s fine. I choose not to. 

I apologize, that reply was written before I read the post I quoted in it clearly. That's why I deleted it.

9 minutes ago, keesler said:

Watch the game Red and draw your own conclusions.  The terms "much less quality" and "less quality" will be a moot point.  It was a s#!tshow all the way around.

I can believe that.

3 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I apologize, that reply was written before I read the post I quoted in it clearly. That's why I deleted it.

I apologize as well for being abrasive. Wasn’t my intention. 

8 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

I believe AU will go 8-4 in the regular season. The bowl game result depends on if we play a Texas type team or a N Carolina St type team. As long as we don't get "embarrassed badly" by our main rivals Gus will be back in 2020.

^^THIS^^ is the most frustrating thing for me.  This coaching staff pulls top 5 salaries and it's like if they turn in another 8-5 season and don't get "embarrassed badly" then everything's supposed to be alright.  

At what point will this staff be required to take it up a notch?  Get over this horribly consistent 4-5 loss rut they've been in the last 5 yrs?  

17 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Not Being embarrassed shouldn’t save him. We need to start winning these games. He is getting paid top dollar to do much more than that. 

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Not Being embarrassed shouldn’t save him. We need to start winning these games. He is getting paid top dollar to do much more than that. 

In all fairness, he has done that in 2 of his 6 seasons as head coach, and those guys make top dollar to win, as well. If we don't get embarrassed by our main rivals and win the games we should win, I'm okay with Gus getting another year...but I also believe we should be no worse than 9-3 during the regular season this year, and that extra win makes a difference, especially if we win the bowl game, because that puts us at 10-3, which feels a heck of a lot better than 8-5.

17 minutes ago, keesler said:

^^THIS^^ is the most frustrating thing for me.  This coaching staff pulls top 5 salaries and it's like if they turn in another 8-5 season and don't get "embarrassed badly" then everything's supposed to be alright.  

At what point will this staff be required to take it up a notch?  Get over this horribly consistent 4-5 loss rut they've been in the last 5 yrs?  

Definitely can't handle a 5-loss season. I'm one who has said that it's not about Ws and Ls but how we actually play the games, but that doesn't apply to 5 losses. Like you said, Gus has used up all his mulligans. I could quickly name 10 very important games that he either should have won or should not have lost in such embarrassing fashion. 

He can't lose 5 games this year. 

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

So either Florida is a good team that made mistakes and got away with it, or they aren't a very good team, then?

They're very mediocre and we're fortunate to be playing a team with an awful offensive line.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I will admit I did not see the game although I had every intention to watch it.  How did Miami look?  The pure reason why I ask is hoping for Clemson to have to face anyone in the ACC that isn't a cupcake.  I am hoping GT's new coach will help them be less of a laughingstock soon.

Miami's D will give people fits, but their tackling needs serious work.  However if the O line isn't fixed in a hurry, they are no better than run of the mill 7-8 win type team.  QB was running for his life all night long and he's not good enough yet to overcome that.

6 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

In all fairness, he has done that in 2 of his 6 seasons as head coach, and those guys make top dollar to win, as well. If we don't get embarrassed by our main rivals and win the games we should win, I'm okay with Gus getting another year...but I also believe we should be no worse than 9-3 during the regular season this year, and that extra win makes a difference, especially if we win the bowl game, because that puts us at 10-3, which feels a heck of a lot better than 8-5.

Yes but he also has a losing record as a head coach against all of our main rivals which should not be the case. We should at the very least break even with one of them. 

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes but he also has a losing record as a head coach against all of our main rivals which should not be the case. We should at the very least break even with one of them. 

Again though, in fairness, UAT and UGA are at all time highs for their respective programs. No excuse against LSU, I know, but not breaking even with the other two is somewhat understandable.

But I do understand the sentiment. I think he'll survive 8-4 again because of his buyout and the fact that he'll be starting a freshman QB the whole way (unless disaster strikes 2-3 times and we have a walk on starting), but even I am getting weary of it, and I give Malzahn more credit because I still maintain he's the primary reason we won it all in 2010 (Cam, yes, but he came to Auburn to run Malzahn's offense, and I think Chizik only got his job by selling Malzahn as his OC). In any case, let's hope we buck those trends against our main rivals this year, including Florida, because I still remember when AU-UF was a big rivalry.

4 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Again though, in fairness, UAT and UGA are at all time highs for their respective programs. No excuse against LSU, I know, but not breaking even with the other two is somewhat understandable.

But I do understand the sentiment. I think he'll survive 8-4 again because of his buyout and the fact that he'll be starting a freshman QB the whole way (unless disaster strikes 2-3 times and we have a walk on starting), but even I am getting weary of it, and I give Malzahn more credit because I still maintain he's the primary reason we won it all in 2010 (Cam, yes, but he came to Auburn to run Malzahn's offense, and I think Chizik only got his job by selling Malzahn as his OC). In any case, let's hope we buck those trends against our main rivals this year, including Florida, because I still remember when AU-UF was a big rivalry.

I agree which is why I said to be even with at least one . But I am going to push back just a little . Prior to 2017, UGA was not this massive force. From 2014-2016, they were very much beatable 

29 minutes ago, DAG said:

I suppose we could call MSU a rival since CGM has a 3-3 record against 'em.

IF he had an even record vs our 3 other rivals, then I may be able to stomach it a little better. 

But 2-5 vs uga/2-4 vs lsu/2-4 vs uat and 2-4 in bowl games makes me want to :puke1:

2 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

UAT and UGA are at all time highs for their respective programs.

uga was most certainly at an all time high but were in fact very low for several of Gus's losses to them. Don't forget that he lost to them in Richt's last 2 years and kirby's first. No excuses. 

Just now, keesler said:

IF he had an even record vs our 3 other rivals, then I may be able to stomach it a little better. 

But 2-5 vs uga/2-4 vs lsu/2-4 vs uat and 2-4 in bowl games makes me want to :puke1:

Yeah I hear ya but I am not calling MSU a rival and even so , he shouldn’t be 3-3 against them lol. 

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Also, if we were to add up total scores, particularly against our 2 main rivals, the picture would likely get pretty ugly pretty quick. 

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

I agree which is why I said to be even with at least one . But I am going to push back just a little . Prior to 2017, UGA was not this massive force. From 2014-2016, they were very much beatable 

You're right, but then again, he did beat them twice (once soundly) during years they were on very good runs, which kinda sorta makes up for not beating them those three years.

Realistically though, we're still talking around the same point: even with a decent season this year, if he doesn't beat any of our three main rivals, he's going to be sitting on a seat that's hotter than hot in 2020. *Edit* IF he's still on that seat to begin with.

6 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

UAT yes, they've are re-writing the freaking history books.  But UGA has only stepped up their game the last 2 yrs, in '15'16 Gus should've whipped the dawgs and we all know he screwed the pooch and lost 2 very winnable games.  He's averaging 5 losses a year for the last 5 yrs (25 losses) and that is mediocrity at it's finest.  

1 minute ago, keesler said:

UAT yes, they've are re-writing the freaking history books.  But UGA has only stepped up their game the last 2 yrs, in '15'16 Gus should've whipped the dawgs and we all know he screwed the pooch and lost 2 very winnable games.  He's averaging 5 losses a year for the last 5 yrs (25 losses) and that is mediocrity at it's finest.  

But he did beat them in 2013 when they were really good, and regular season in 2017 when they played for it all. Not saying you're wrong, just countering a true statement with another true statement.

Hey, I've got no problem with AU retaining this coaching crew even if they lose 4-5 games this year.  Just cut their salary and inject the FOF fund with the $$ so that AU can start slinging brick 'n mortar immediately.  This facility needs to be built now, it will be a selling point for the next staff.

uga football was 8-5 in 2013. That's not really good. And we required a massive, inexplicable mistake by their DB (not Matthews, contrary to popular belief) to beat them. 

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

But he did beat them in 2013 when they were really good, and regular season in 2017 when they played for it all. Not saying you're wrong, just countering a true statement with another true statement.

I acknowledge the fact that Gus has beat them twice in 7 tries - good on him. 

But in my personal opinion, that's not enough to satisfy me when I see the talent he's pulled in here consistently.  He used those '17 wins over uga/uat to extort a massive salary & extension of which he has shown no signs of actually earning.

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

Hey, I've got no problem with AU retaining this coaching crew even if they lose 4-5 games this year.  Just cut their salary and inject the FOF fund with the $$ so that AU can start slinging brick 'n mortar immediately.  This facility needs to be built now, it will be a selling point for the next staff.

And how. Not to mention the needed upgrades to baseball and softball complexes.

Archived