Is '8-5' Gus Malzahn due for a big year?

RunInRed

On 8/21/2019 at 1:56 PM, AuCivilEng1 said:

Or if that Miss St game went our way last year. That was piss poor officiating at its finest.

And losing to a talentless TN Team at home by two scores was 100% Piss Poor Coaching 

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

And losing to a talentless TN Team at home by two scores was 100% Piss Poor Coaching 

Costly turnovers, too, but don’t let those clunky facts get in the way.

38 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Costly turnovers, too, but don’t let those clunky facts get in the way.

This is true, but when you have a 1st year coach leaping up and down calling out our upcoming play the second we line up, you sure can't blame the entire loss on turnovers, and coaching must be called into question.

8 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

This is true, but when you have a 1st year coach leaping up and down calling out our upcoming play the second we line up, you sure can't blame the entire loss on turnovers, and coaching must be called into question.

That’s a little deceiving. The first year coach already knew Gus’s tendencies from his previous places of employment at FSU and Alabama. 

Auburn still had more first downs and yardage, so it’s not like he was that effective. Gus was asked about that after the game and I believe his response was something to the effect of “most offenses have known tendencies, “,so he’s not worried about it. 

Stidham chunked the ball like 46 times which isn’t a good gameplan at reducing turnovers mind you, but he was also throwing the ball out of bounds when he wasn’t supposed to thus gaining unnecessary offensive penalties from a veteran QB, and cowering away from the pass rush. We had no running game at the time either. If anything, I think that is what Gus regrets the most. 

My thoughts are I don't care now, or ever, what Sheridan thinks about anything.

The schedule is maybe the toughest in the country.  I'd like to see us play well and be competitive in every game.  If we do, we'll continue to get better. I just don't want any more of those back breaking losses due to stupidity, like LSU in Stidham's first season.

7 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

I agree with you  right up to the last sentence. One of Gus Malzahns problems is that he has a "base" offense.  It consists of five plays.  These five plays are what cost us the 2017 LSU game. They also to an extent cost us the 2016 Clemson game.  When Gus did his car interview with Brandon Marcello Gus stated that when he was a high school coach a close friend told him to have 5 or 6 plays that you run so well that no one can stop you.  Once  you have established those 5 plays you can start implementing other plays.  Marcello asked Malzahn if that is why we see him run it up the middle so much and Malzahn said YES.  The other four pays appear to be the two bubble screens( one his thrown to the right and the other to the left), read option and the deep ball.  Until Gus scraps that philosophy/mindset the offense is going to be painfully predictable. 

Another one of Gus Malzahns flaws is an absolute refuse to develop an intermittent passing game.

I will also bring up the elephant in the room that no one wants to address.   As of me typing this post, Gus has not developed a HS QB.

Also, in the last six seasons Gus has not added anything new to  his offense.  Chip adding a  couple of new passes does not count.

Of the 12 defenses we  will face this season, exactly zero will have to  practice covering our tight end.

I can’t dispute most of what you say but do you remember the wishbone. It wasn’t complicate and there wasn’t a lot of variables. It’s not so much the play. Every play is designed to score. The result is dictated by the question “did everybody do their job, make their block or carry out their fake. Gus’s RPOs have proven quit capable even against teams like uat and uga. Gus has plays that attack inside and out. My problem is his instance with slowing down the minute he gets the lead . I truely believe that with Bo and even Joey at the helm this year, the RPO will be as effective as with Cam and Nick. Don’t bet the house on it I have been known to be wrong before 😂 but that’s what I believe at this point.

17 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Dont question his meme here. I used to be one of those "dont be negative AU fans." CGM has broke me of that. I am just being a realist. We are in year 6 and HOPING for 8 wins this year. HOPING...FOR...8...WINS. 

17 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

That’s a little deceiving. The first year coach already knew Gus’s tendencies from his previous places of employment at FSU and Alabama. 

Auburn still had more first downs and yardage, so it’s not like he was that effective. Gus was asked about that after the game and I believe his response was something to the effect of “most offenses have known tendencies, “,so he’s not worried about it. 

Stidham chunked the ball like 46 times which isn’t a good gameplan at reducing turnovers mind you, but he was also throwing the ball out of bounds when he wasn’t supposed to thus gaining unnecessary offensive penalties from a veteran QB, and cowering away from the pass rush. We had no running game at the time either. If anything, I think that is what Gus regrets the most. 

6 Seasons in. Whatever the team does is his to own...

Thinking of “typical Auburn”.  This would be the year we have a great season!  And then next year we’ll have high expectations (in spite of losing our entire OL, and a bunch of important pieces on D) and have a let down year.  

19 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Thinking of “typical Auburn”.  This would be the year we have a great season!  And then next year we’ll have high expectations (in spite of losing our entire OL, and a bunch of important pieces on D) and have a let down year.  

I'm not worried about the D next year as much because Steele will rotate players in and get them experience. Grimes will need to take every opportunity to do the same in the games where he can. Can't get ourselves in a position to have to play the first team O-line the entire game against every opponent. 

8 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

6 Seasons in. Whatever the team does is his to own...

He owned everything thing that he needed to own. Silly QB play by a QB that knows better isn’t one of them. 

48 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

He owned everything thing that he needed to own. Silly QB play by a QB that knows better isn’t one of them. 

That QB was running for his life for most of last season.  He missed some throws for sure, but there has to be some leeway given how poorly the o line played.  Tom Brady would have looked silly for much of last season behind our line.

Amazing how much better Stidham played in the bowl game when Purdue wasn't putting pressure on him.

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

That QB was running for his life for most of last season.

Yeah he was, even when he didn’t need to scramble he still played like it was a fire drill. There were many times when he decided to scramble out of the pocket even though the pocket was there. I’m definitely not putting it all on him. I’ve already discussed he wasn’t used properly and the OL issues are known. 

10 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

He missed some throws for sure, but there has to be some leeway given how poorly the o line played.

I’m not saying he is a bad QB. I’m not harping on bad throws either as all QBs will make them. He just made bad decisions albeit sometimes when under fire. He was a veteran QB though and should know what to do when under fire. Take the sack or throw it away.

13 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Amazing how much better Stidham played in the bowl game when Purdue wasn't putting pressure on him.

It was basically a glorified 7 on 7 drill. Lot of QBs will do well in those circumstances. 

He should have had two interceptions in NEs second game-two balls were dropped by defense right in there hands.

11 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Dont question his meme here. I used to be one of those "dont be negative AU fans." CGM has broke me of that. I am just being a realist. We are in year 6 and HOPING for 8 wins this year. HOPING...FOR...8...WINS. 

Wait am i counting wrong, or isnt this year 7? 

2013 year 1, 2014 year 2, 2015 year 3, 2016 year 4, 2017 year 5, 2018 year 6, and 2019 year 7. 

Im surprised im the first to mention this.

Other than that, i personally fully agree. However if you look at our history we are an 8 win program. I am certainly not of the mindset this should be an excuse because we have not historically paid top 5 money for a coach to produce those 8 win seasons. 

Not making excuses but you also have to consider our schedule. So unlike some other schools it REALLY IS about more than Ws and Ls. Its about how we look in the Ls.

We also used to only play 10 games.  8 wins a year was solid.

now we play 12-14 and should be averaging 10 per year minimum.  We should be in the sec race every year.

personally I’d prefer the ncaa drop at least one game a year and have 2 in-season bye weeks.  Derek brooks was on a committee back in the day and had to ... never mind ... I digressed ...

10 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Not making excuses but you also have to consider our schedule. So unlike some other schools it REALLY IS about more than Ws and Ls. Its about how we look in the Ls

Bingo. Fans are dying to jump back on the Gus bus once there is an upward trajectory. A starting point -> ending point continuum of improvement. Doesn’t make sense to have large ebbs and flows if we are are constantly improving. We are not. We cannot be strengthening positions that held us back in the past, but creating holes elsewhere. 

If we wouldn’t, one year glitches and hiccups would be just that.

Just my .02

40 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Wait am i counting wrong, or isnt this year 7? 

2013 year 1, 2014 year 2, 2015 year 3, 2016 year 4, 2017 year 5, 2018 year 6, and 2019 year 7. 

Im surprised im the first to mention this.

Other than that, i personally fully agree. However if you look at our history we are an 8 win program. I am certainly not of the mindset this should be an excuse because we have not historically paid top 5 money for a coach to produce those 8 win seasons. 

Not making excuses but you also have to consider our schedule. So unlike some other schools it REALLY IS about more than Ws and Ls. Its about how we look in the Ls.

I think many of us would love to forget 2015 but unfortunately it was reality. 

On 8/23/2019 at 7:56 AM, johnnyAU said:

My thoughts are I don't care now, or ever, what Sheridan thinks about anything.

The schedule is maybe the toughest in the country.  I'd like to see us play well and be competitive in every game.  If we do, we'll continue to get better. I just don't want any more of those back breaking losses due to stupidity, like LSU in Stidham's first season.

AMEN.   That is the biggest issue, stupid losses

On 8/24/2019 at 8:42 AM, aujeff11 said:

Then recruit QBs that get the job done, or whatever, but stop the ineffectual play calling, game planning, player recruiting. With the CGM followers there is always something to blame but him. I have watched his press conferences. I am no longer convinved he really wants to win. He is completel;y disconnected after a loss. When a great coach loses, he is fired up, pissed off, ready to change, get up off the mat and do better. I havent gotten that from Gus since Marshall left. He just repeats promises that he never follows thru on. 

"We need to start faster." Been saying that for 5 years now and we seldom do. We CAN. We most assuredly CAN. But we more often than not do not execute. Last season the OL was just awful. He recruited them and the backups. If they dont produce, that is on him. He is being paid to win, not tread water.

I wonder if the kids arent being disserved as well. They could easily fix the issues. But hardheadedness is just a simple mindset issue. 

I say all this as a man that admires Gus as a Christian Man. He is a great guy and friend. But he is not acting like a great HC, he is acting like a very good OC at times. HC, not so much. I am afraid he is going to go thru the motions this year, cash the checks and be gone by December. 

1 hour ago, toddc said:

He should have had two interceptions in NEs second game-two balls were dropped by defense right in there hands.

So incomplete passes?

Talk about not giving Stidham time. Dude hasn't even been in the NFL for a full preseason and the haters are already out. There is kind of a big difference between the league and college in case you hadn't noticed. He has plenty of skill, but he may make it or he may not. Lots of 'sure bet' QB's haven't. Much fewer have. 

I hope he is in the bigs for years and makes tons of money. More power to him.

Archived