Is '8-5' Gus Malzahn due for a big year?

RunInRed

Orgeron isn't a better coach, but Gus stunk up the sidelines in those two, as well as others over the years. In his defense, he's outcoached Saban a few times, and Jimbo last season too. 

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bigbird said:

No, that's why I said, "quit". Try reading for comprehension.

Just so you don't get lost.

So, again...stop trying to start arguments or don't. It's your choice.

Tennessee had the 121st offense in the nation and we made Guarantano look like a Heisman.

We were discussing our play against mediocre teams weren’t we? 

Oh, that’s right. My argument wasn’t about Gus. 

5 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

We just couldn't stay on the field offensively and kept coughing it up.

6 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I see that we gave up a combined 38 first downs and mustered 37 ourselves. We just couldn't stay on the field offensively and kept coughing it up. Our D was gassed in the second halves. 

Really? We got more first downs and total yards against Tennessee than they did. 

There is no fatigue argument there.

And the Vols were the 77th ranked D in the country, 16 spots behind Vandy...and we couldn't keep our offense on the field.

They held the ball for +8 mins longer than we did. Not nearly as much as MSU, but still a deficit nonetheless. I reckon we should have score more with all those yards right?

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

So incomplete passes?

Of course! I’m not hating on him either, because I really like the guy and I hope he does great. I believe he’s going to be a great qb for somebody in the NFL, and I wish he could stick around and take over from the GOAT when he retires in a couple years.

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Tennessee had the 121st offense in the nation and we made Guarantano look like a Heisman.

We were discussing our play against mediocre teams weren’t we? 

WE weren't discussing anything. Yet you have tried multiple times to draw me into an argumentative back and forth. Continuing still.

So again, quit. 

BTW, this...

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

...is just a dumb response.

Just now, toddc said:

Of course! I’m not hating on him either, because I really like the guy and I hope he does great. I believe he’s going to be a great qb for somebody in the NFL, and I wish he could stick around and take over from the GOAT when he retires in a couple years.

Me too. I think he really fell into the ideal situation.

Just now, johnnyAU said:

And the Vols were the 77th ranked D in the country, 16 spots behind Vandy...and we couldn't keep our offense on the field.

Thanks to quick scoring strikes and sloppy QB play? 

Did the defense force any turnovers? Anything?

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Yet you have tried multiple times to draw me into an argumentative back and forth. Continuing still.

What is this amateur hour. You invited yourself to my conversation with Brad bringing only immature gifs with you. I’m sorry if I haven’t given you enough attention lately, but let’s not make stuff up just for the sake of it.

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

So again, quit. 

You were the one reported for spam. Irony is getting dense.

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

What is this amateur hour. You invited yourself to my conversation with Brad bringing only immature gifs with you. I’m sorry if I haven’t given you enough attention lately, but let’s not make stuff up just for the sake of it.

You were the one reported for spam. Irony is getting dense.

Again, quit. Just stop.

Just now, johnnyAU said:

Dude, we didn't muster squat offensively in the entire 2nd half. We only scored with ~0:37 s left in regulation just to get the score within 2 TD's. 

Couldn’t stop the 121st offense from moving the ball either. I’ve already discussed Stidham’s play. Why can’t we just admit both sides sucked without the whataboutisms?

27 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Orgeron isn't a better coach, but Gus stunk up the sidelines in those two, as well as others over the years. In his defense, he's outcoached Saban a few times, and Jimbo last season too. 

Yes he is.  It's not a coincidence he's won both games against Gus on their way to a 9 and a 10 win season.  I will never understand people's disdain for Orgeron.  The guy is a great football coach.

Just now, dyehardfanAU said:

Yes he is.  It's not a coincidence they've won both games against Gus on their way to a 9 and a 10 win season.  I will never understand people's disdain for Orgeron.  The guy is a great football coach.

No he isn't. He is a great recruiter and motivator, but he is an average coach. Gus out-Gussed himself in those two, and others. LSU was still loaded with talent, but there was no reason we should have lost those games, other than stupidity.

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

No he isn't. He is a great recruiter and motivator, but he is an average coach. Gus out-Gussed himself in those two, and others. LSU was still loaded with talent, but there was no reason we should have lost those games, other than stupidity.

Ok, when he puts up another 10+ win season we can revisit this.  He's a very good coach and has put together a very good staff.  I hope we give a hard look at Aranda if Gus Guses again this season.  

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Couldn’t stop the 121st offense from moving the ball either. I’ve already discussed Stidham’s play. Why can’t we just admit both sides sucked without the whataboutisms?

Stidham made some mistakes certainly, and of course our DB's couldn't handle the taller WR's on jump balls, which was most of their offense. However, Pruitt also know what plays were coming, and where the ball was going to on many occasions because Gus is stubborn and predictable. You can see him calling where it was headed on more than one occasion on video. 

2 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Ok, when he puts up another 10+ win season we can revisit this.  He's a very good coach and has put together a very good staff.  I hope we give a hard look at Aranda if Gus Guses again this season.  

I agree with you on Aranda

2 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Stidham made some mistakes certainly, and of course our DB's couldn't handle the taller WR's on jump balls, which was most of their offense. However, Pruitt also know what plays were coming, and where the ball was going to on many occasions because Gus is stubborn and predictable. You can see him calling where it was headed on more than one occasion on video. 

I’m not a Gus defender, but most of the time DBs knew where the ball was going because Stidham would stare down receivers 

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

Still think we would have stomped them as bad as Missouri did if Stidham didn’t have three turnovers. 

Good talk. 

Malzahn didn't out coach coaches O, Smart or Saban. I find it hard to believe he'll out coach those 3 plus Jimbo Fisher in this upcoming season.

On 8/22/2019 at 11:09 PM, Randman5000 said:

Is that You @jAUSon

I'd like to see Tim Ritter and Beth Mowens in a death match gladiator battle. I seem to recall having ritter as my avatar a few years ago, if you tagged me for that reason I'm flattered.

I said in another thread that I think we beat Oregon 41-17, and I'll stand by that (even if it makes me look stupid in the end), but I have my concerns about the SEC schedule. We have the depth of talent that, should we get pretty good QB play, we could be a playoff team. The problem is that with the murderer's row we have to get through (and I don't care what anyone says about the schedule not being so tough, because it is), we could beat Oregon, have a really good season, and still end up 9-3.

That said, I've been getting a feeling since before fall camp that Nix has "LEGEND" stamped on his forehead, and he's going to play more like a fourth year junior than a true freshman. I think JG can put together a good season for us should Bo go down, but I really believe Nix has that "it" factor that makes him a cut above.

18 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Really? We got more first downs and total yards against Tennessee than they did. 

There is no fatigue argument there.

But there is if you watch the game. You can just see the defense become unmotivated because of offensive struggles. 

However you are right, both sides struggled. We made Jarrett Guarantano look like a Heisman Finalist. 

However if we would of been able to do ANYTHING offensively, I feel the defense would of been significantly better. 

17 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Not me. I have had enough with a learning on the job coach. Not suggesting I want Gus to fail, but if the bottom falls out this year, we need to get someone who has been a head coach before. Haven't we had enough of a coach trying to figure out how to be a head coach? 

Aranda is an amazing DC. But Chizik was an amazing DC and Gus was an amazing OC. Just because someone is a great coordinator doesn't mean they will be a great head coach. 

Again, I don't want Gus to fail, but if he does we need to get an established head coach. Someone who already knows what it takes to lead a program... We shouldn't want another on the job learner.

6 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I said in another thread that I think we beat Oregon 41-17, and I'll stand by that (even if it makes me look stupid in the end), but I have my concerns about the SEC schedule. We have the depth of talent that, should we get pretty good QB play, we could be a playoff team. The problem is that with the murderer's row we have to get through (and I don't care what anyone says about the schedule not being so tough, because it is), we could beat Oregon, have a really good season, and still end up 9-3.

That said, I've been getting a feeling since before fall camp that Nix has "LEGEND" stamped on his forehead, and he's going to play more like a fourth year junior than a true freshman. I think JG can put together a good season for us should Bo go down, but I really believe Nix has that "it" factor that makes him a cut above.

Not saying YOU haven't, but I have never seen anyone suggest the schedule isn't that one of the most difficult in the country. 

Who has said this? They should be put on blast. 

That's absurd to even think, much less vocalize.

18 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

I love it.  Orgeron isnt the better coach but is 2-0 against Gus.  Orgeron is 19-7/11-5 SEC over the last two seasons.  Gus is 18-9/10-7 over the last two seasons. Yet Gus is the better coach.   Gus is  on the hot seat Orgeron isnt. 

Archived