Gun Owners: Question/Advice

I don’t currently own a firearm. However, I’m thinking about getting my carry permit. My father has a pistol of his that he’s going to give me. 

What proper channels do I need to go through  to get that weapon registered in my name?

*This thread is not for any political back and forth*

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

My best advice is contact your local sheriff’s office. They will advise and assist. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You're in Tennessee. TDHS website. You'll probably have to take a brief course on handling a firearm, probably online. 

https://www.tn.gov/safety/tnhp/handgun/handgunonline.html

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AUDub said:

You're in Tennessee. TDHS website. You'll probably have to take a brief course on handling a firearm, probably online. 

https://www.tn.gov/safety/tnhp/handgun/handgunonline.html

I’m mostly concerned about his handgun passing to me. I intend to do a safety course, and my wife definitely needs to do a hands-on class. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

7 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I’m mostly concerned about his handgun passing to me. I intend to do a safety course, and my wife needs to do a hands on class. 

The website lists 100s of classes. Probably pretty easy to find one nearby. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

The website lists 100s of classes. Probably pretty easy to find one nearby. 

Yeah, I know people that run courses. Wife wants to rock a pistol grip shotty a la Omar. Which is why she needs a class. 

I’m really just trying to find out how to shift my dad’s handgun to me. 

15 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Yeah, I know people that run courses. Wife wants to rock a pistol grip shotty a la Omar. Which is why she needs a class. 

If I'm not mistaken, Tennessee doesn't require you to do that so long as your dad doesn't give it to you knowing you would fail a BG check. 

But Tennessee has seen a bit of flux in their laws lately.  Take Tim's advice. A 10 minute call to you local sheriff would clear this all up. 

Edited by AUDub

14 minutes ago, AUDub said:

If I'm not mistaken, Tennessee doesn't require you to do that so long as your dad doesn't give it to you knowing you would fail a BG check. 

But Tennessee has seen a bit of flux in their laws lately.  Take Tim's advice. A 10 minute call to you local sheriff would clear this all up. 

It shouldn’t seem that easy. But 🙏 

15 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

You don't have to register a handgun in Alabama. In fact, there is no way to register a gun to a particular user. My friends in Tennessee don't register theirs or have any way to register one either. I think it's mostly New York and similar controlling places that want to be able to track a firearm's ownership.

Were this in Alabama, to shift ownership of that gun you'd just take it home with you. There is no paperwork involved.

Now, since I don't make a habit of keeping up with other state's laws, do call your county sheriff but I'm guessing there's nothing to do about the ownership.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

It shouldn’t seem that easy. But 🙏 

It's not as onerous as one might think in many states. I currently own two handguns, a .38 and a 9, and a shotgun. Only one I purchased myself was the 9. (.38 was gifted by a police officer buddy, go figure, and the shotty a gift from my FIL). Getting my CCP was a breeze here in Alabama, to boot. 

5 minutes ago, AUDub said:

It's not as onerous as one might think in many states. I currently own two handguns, a .38 and a 9, and a shotgun. Only one I purchased myself was the 9. (.38 was gifted by a police officer buddy, go figure, and the shotty a gift from my FIL). Getting my CCP was a breeze here in Alabama, to boot. 

How was the CCP acquisition in Alabama? 

34 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Submit the paperwork and was permitted within a week. Paperwork was a stock form (are you a sex offender, been convicted of any felonies, etc).

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No paperwork is required as long as he is a TN resident too and you are not prohibited from owning one.  There may be some additional rules about family transfers, but I didn't look them up assuming he's a resident.

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2020 at 11:26 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

To elaborate a bit: The County Sheriff approves the permit. Alabama is a "Shall Issue" state, which means that your permit must be issued unless the sheriff can produce reasons why you shouldn't be granted the permit. Such reasons might be a history of violence, convicted felon, known drug trafficker, history of mental illness and so forth. It normally takes about a week to process. If you live in a small county and the sheriff is your wife's cousin, you could get it the next day. (wink)

• Thanks 1

You can do it online in Alabama. Really easy in limestone county you can get it in person 24 hours a day.  You don’t have to do anything to own the gun. Just to be permitted to carry it. 

I forgot to tell you the most important part...

You can't be intoxicated when he transfers it to you.

😁

• 2 months later...

Update:  The pistol wasn’t up for grabs after all. I’m planning to get a Walther Creed 9mm for home and carry versatility, but it might be on the larger size. I might go with a Walther PPS M2 for more discrete carry, but the mag is small, so I will have to go with an extended. Either way, I’ve pretty much settled on a Walther.

Home/wife preference is a Mossberg 590 Shockwave. I think that’s been settled. And that’s a bad little piece. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

My personal carry is a Walther CCP 9. Like the lack of recoil and the ease of working the slide in the event my wife ever has to fire it. 

It can be a bitch to clean and lube until you get used to it though. Once you figure out how to line up the spring, it gets much easier. 

43 minutes ago, AUDub said:

My personal carry is a Walther CCP 9. Like the lack of recoil and the ease of working the slide in the event my wife ever has to fire it. 

It can be a bitch to clean and lube until you get used to it though. Once you figure out how to line up the spring, it gets much easier. 

From the sound of it, it’s really going  to have to boil down to comfort. And I guess that’s just how most firearm decisions will have to be made...? I know I don’t want some giant hand cannon. I just want something to make us feel secure. We’re getting ready to buy a home in midtown Memphis. Shotgun. Pistol. Home alarm. We’ve got a defense rescue pit bull, but he could either bitch out or go HAM on someone.

5 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

From the sound of it, it’s really going  to have to boil down to comfort. And I guess that’s just how most firearm decisions will have to be made...? I know I don’t want some giant hand cannon. I just want something to make us feel secure. We’re getting ready to buy a home in midtown Memphis. Shotgun. Pistol. Home alarm. We’ve got a defense rescue pit bull, but he could either bitch out or go HAM on someone.

If your buying something like a Ruger chambered for .454 Casull for "home defense," you're not looking for protection lol. You're compensating for something.

No, it's all about personal comfort. The best weapon you can own is the one you can best utilize. Try out everything you can get your hands on. Ranges/classes are usually a good place to do that. And take the time to get really familiar with whatever you choose. The range can be an enjoyable hobby. 

Main thing about dogs is that they be loud in a B&E situation. Don't have to be particularly ferocious. If a would be burglar realizes their presence, they are generally going to give your home a hard pass. There are easier targets.

Finally, I wouldn't recommend a shotgun for home defense. They're unwieldy in tight spaces, kick like a mule, tough to reload in a pinch and despite their video game reputation for spray damage, the spread pattern at room distance is negligible. If you want to know why, go play paintball in a shoothouse. You'll gain a whole new appreciation for the need to have a low moment of inertia with your weapon.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AUDub said:

If you are satisfied with your CCP, great. I had one of the original CCP's. One problem after another. I had documented, I believe, nine different ways it failed to fire. Sent it back twice, nothing changed. I loved the pistol's accuracy and ease of operation so I stuck with it through over 900 rounds. In the end, I knew I was basically carrying a single-shot, anything beyond that was luck. The newer ones may be improved. Also, I may have simply owned a lemon.

Regardless, I took it to my LGS told them about the gun's problems and was delighted when they offered me $250 for a trade in. I now carry an M&P 9C which has become my favorite pistol. I did install an APEX trigger system in the  9C, which was a big improvement. When dress requires pocket carry, I have the little Sig p365. So far, no problems with it either.

17 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If you are satisfied with your CCP, great. I had one of the original CCP's. One problem after another. I had documented, I believe, nine different ways it failed to fire. Sent it back twice, nothing changed. I loved the pistol's accuracy and ease of operation so I stuck with it through over 900 rounds. In the end, I knew I was basically carrying a single-shot, anything beyond that was luck. The newer ones may be improved. Also, I may have simply owned a lemon.

Three years now. Only issue I've had with it is that I had to send it in for that recall for potential drop-fire. Other than that it's been a reliable tank.

Regardless, I took it to my LGS told them about the gun's problems and was delighted when they offered me $250 for a trade in. I now carry an M&P 9C which has become my favorite pistol. I did install an APEX trigger system in the  9C, which was a big improvement. When dress requires pocket carry, I have the little Sig p365. So far, no problems with it either.

My next gun will likely be a Sig. Tried a P229 and 320 earlier this year and enjoyed them both.

• Like 1

I’m getting wife a Sig P365. The ruger LC9 I got her for Christmas has too violent of a recoil and she doesn’t want to practice with it. Guns are selling like crazy right now. 

• Like 1

@ShocksMyBrain I know I don’t have to say this, but m no matter what you settle on...range time, range time, range time.

Nothing can replace practice with a handgun. Especially if you can get some quality instruction. Bad habits are super easy to develop with a handgun. 

• Like 2