Gun Owners: Question/Advice

5 hours ago, alexava said:

I’m getting wife a Sig P365. The ruger LC9 I got her for Christmas has too violent of a recoil and she doesn’t want to practice with it. Guns are selling like crazy right now. 

Guns are selling, but ammo is even harder to find. At least, FMJ practice ammo is. I guess all those new gun owners are buying up the practice stuff. When you do find any ammo, it's over 2.5 times what it cost last fall. Glad I loaded up last December, a good ammo supply was my Christmas present to myself.

• Like 2

Love the range. You'll be grouping again in no time. 

One of the biggest things I miss about living out in the country, the ability to go outside and shoot whenever you wanted. Other thing is pissing off the porch without having to worry about neighbors seeing you lol. 

Edited by AUDub

32 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Love the range. You'll be grouping again in no time. 

One of the biggest things I miss about living out in the country, the ability to go outside and shoot whenever you wanted. Other thing is pissing off the porch without having to worry about neighbors seeing you lol. 

My next target paper had some good grouping after my jitters started to wear off. Can’t wait to go back once I find more ammo. Work buddy gave me a box and my dad gave me a box, so I haven’t really started to scour. 

And I piss off the porch at home in the suburbs, I just turn out the outdoor lights 🤣.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

And I piss off the porch at home in the suburbs, I just turn out the outdoor lights 🤣.

No dice. My SOB neighbor keeps his floods on. 

Edited by AUDub
  • Sad 1

Thought I locked in some ammo from Bass Pro, got an order confirmation and email and everything. Only for it to be canceled 2 days later. 😑

Going to be real hard to practice shooting with a 9mm ammo drought. 😑

Anyway. I’m about to register for my CCP class. Going to need a holster or two. I really want a holster to sit comfortably in my driver side door compartment, I bought a Folbus paddle holster, but the paddle is too long for my compartment is deep. I was hoping it would have an actual clamp, so I returned it. 

I might just get a steering column holster for the car. Anyone have any suggestions or advice for those? I’ve seen the magnetized ones that you can rack and pull, but that just seems to me to be an accident waiting to happen. 

On 9/12/2020 at 1:42 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

My next target paper had some good grouping after my jitters started to wear off. Can’t wait to go back once I find more ammo. Work buddy gave me a box and my dad gave me a box, so I haven’t really started to scour. 

Me too. During the day time....I have a privacy fence. Between it and the boat I’m good. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’m going to qualify on Wednesday. Glock 19C (gen 4) duty weapon and going to qualify on my 300 blackout patrol rifle I had assembled. I’ve never shot the rifle but I’m pretty confident I shouldn’t have too much trouble (flip up sites no optic). 

57 minutes ago, The Freak said:

I'm gonna have to ask you all kindly to put down your guns until about March.  Please and thank you, lol.

Mine stays down because I don’t want to spend .50/round. I’ve got it loaded with hollow points and an extra box of FMJ. 

Pro Tip: Academy gets ammo shipments Mon-Wed-Fri. Line starts forming an hour before they open. They haven't really gone up on price hardly at all. Out here, they're getting enough ammo for about the first 20-30 people in line to get three boxes each. 

I haven’t seen an ammunition shortage on your average cartridge ie, .38, 9mm, 45,...etc. However, more “exotic” such as the 300 blackout are more difficult to get as well as more pricey. I’m able to get much of what I need for my sidearm through the department. We’re responsible for most of our rifle needs (purchase of the rifle and practice ammunition, department provides qualification ammunition). 

2 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

Pro Tip: Academy gets ammo shipments Mon-Wed-Fri. Line starts forming an hour before they open. They haven't really gone up on price hardly at all. Out here, they're getting enough ammo for about the first 20-30 people in line to get three boxes each. 

That’s the story at my local Academy too from an employee who shops at my store. Since gleaning that information a couple weeks ago, I’ve been scheduled to be at work the mornings of MWF inconveniently. 

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

I haven’t seen an ammunition shortage on your average cartridge ie, .38, 9mm, 45,...etc. However, more “exotic” such as the 300 blackout are more difficult to get as well as more pricey. I’m able to get much of what I need for my sidearm through the department. We’re responsible for most of our rifle needs (purchase of the rifle and practice ammunition, department provides qualification ammunition). 

Where do you live where you haven’t seen a shortage of 9mm? All that we have that’s easy to find on shelves are .22, some rifle ammo, and shotgun shells. 

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Where do you live where you haven’t seen a shortage of 9mm? All that we have that’s easy to find on shelves are .22, some rifle ammo, and shotgun shells. 

North Alabama. It’s a little more expensive than normal but still relatively available. 

• Like 1

I had a friend that told me that manufacturers aren’t behind but have been withholding distribution in order to drive up even more demand at a higher price. 

16 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I had a friend that told me that manufacturers aren’t behind but have been withholding distribution in order to drive up even more demand at a higher price. 

Capitalism at work. I’ve got enough ammo to get by for self protection purposes. I really just want range ammo so I can train. If people stop buying at these crazy prices, the price will fall. 

I’m hoping it’ll die down again after the election/New Year/COVID. Our class instructor said the same thing happened with .22 ammo after Sandy Hook and one of his friends is sitting on like 60k rounds because he went out and bought all he could. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 7:37 PM, aubearcat said:

I’m going to qualify on Wednesday. Glock 19C (gen 4) duty weapon and going to qualify on my 300 blackout patrol rifle I had assembled. I’ve never shot the rifle but I’m pretty confident I shouldn’t have too much trouble (flip up sites no optic). 

I too have a Glock 19 and hopefully enough ammo to last for awhile. I carry it almost everywhere these days because there are too many nuts out there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

I too have a Glock 19 and hopefully enough ammo to last for awhile. I carry it almost everywhere these days because there are too many nuts out there.

I got the 19C when Glock had a production of the “C” model about two years ago. It’s my understanding that “C” models are only done every so often. I also have a Larry Vickers 17  Gen3(a special model with only 5000 made), a Gen4 31, a 43 (which my wife keeps with her, very nice for concealing), a Smith and Wesson .38 Air Weight (which I carry), a Rock River Arms .223, a Weatherby 300, and a 300 Blackout that I assembled by selecting the upper and lower parts. 

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

I got the 19C when Glock had a production of the “C” model about two years ago. It’s my understanding that “C” models are only done every so often. I also have a Larry Vickers 17  Gen3(a special model with only 5000 made), a Gen4 31, a 43 (which my wife keeps with her, very nice for concealing), a Smith and Wesson .38 Air Weight (which I carry), a Rock River Arms .223, a Weatherby 300, and a 300 Blackout that I assembled by selecting the upper and lower parts. 

My kind of guy. I have several other kinds too and my neighborhood is a virtual arsenal. What do you normally carry?

Edited by Proud Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1