Gun Owners: Question/Advice

• 2 months later...

Way late on this and should have done this sooner.  Filed for my CCP Monday.  In Florida they tell you 90 days, but was told you get your license within a wekk and a half, unless something stupid comes up on the background check,etc.      I decided to go with a Taurus GX4 9mm for my every day carry.  It comes with 2 11 round magazines but they sell extensions to 13 rounds for $10 so I ordered 2 of those to expand the magazines.  13 rounds is solid on a compact pistol.  All the reviews I read on it were positive and I'm aware they had some quality control issues in the past.  I was looking at the Sig P365, but the price point of the Taurus led me to that one.  I may pick up the Sig at a later date or maybe a larger model sig for home.  

In regards to holsters, I was looking at the Alien Gear Shapeshift holster (basically 4 holsters in one package), but they don't have a mold for the GX4, and at work I have to keep my shirt tucked in (set the example for the rest of the minions). So, I went with a holster from a company called Tulster.  The holster I bought is called THE OATH. It's a tuckable holster so as long as the printing isn't bad I should be good on that one. Supposed to arrive tomorrow.

On 4/12/2023 at 8:49 AM, WarTiger said:

I may pick up the Sig at a later date or maybe a larger model sig for home.  

I have the original p365 and carry it on days when dress or other factors dictate pocket carry. It's a good little gun. For my use, I carry it with the 10-round mag as I want it as small as possible.

My every day carry is the M&P 9C, the original with a 3.5 inch barrel. The carry mag is 12 rounds which gives a 12+1 capacity. Backup mag is the mag from the full size M&P 9, which is 17 rounds. For me, the M&P 9C hits the sweet spot for capacity, conceal ability and shoot ability. I hope you are as happy with your Tarus as I am with my M&P.

For home defense, you might want to consider a .45. I keep a Springfield XDm nearby at home. It has a capacity of 13+1 rounds, and a .45 punches big holes in things. Just a thought. The main drawback to a .45 is that it's hard to conceal carry, though I have done it. 9mm is a solid round and plenty of people stick with that for all uses.

PS: Practice plenty with your new gun. Make sure it's flawless and you need the training yourself. Most experienced shooters want to run at least 500 rounds through a new acquisition before they trust it enough to carry it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2023 at 10:23 AM, Mikey said:

I have the original p365 and carry it on days when dress or other factors dictate pocket carry. It's a good little gun. For my use, I carry it with the 10-round mag as I want it as small as possible.

My every day carry is the M&P 9C, the original with a 3.5 inch barrel. The carry mag is 12 rounds which gives a 12+1 capacity. Backup mag is the mag from the full size M&P 9, which is 17 rounds. For me, the M&P 9C hits the sweet spot for capacity, conceal ability and shoot ability. I hope you are as happy with your Tarus as I am with my M&P.

For home defense, you might want to consider a .45. I keep a Springfield XDm nearby at home. It has a capacity of 13+1 rounds, and a .45 punches big holes in things. Just a thought. The main drawback to a .45 is that it's hard to conceal carry, though I have done it. 9mm is a solid round and plenty of people stick with that for all uses.

PS: Practice plenty with your new gun. Make sure it's flawless and you need the training yourself. Most experienced shooters want to run at least 500 rounds through a new acquisition before they trust it enough to carry it.

Good stuff Mikey.  I got to the range saturday and put about 100 rounds through the Taurus.  It handles really well and I've very pleased with it.  It's comfortable to carry IWB.  

My home defense weapon I have down to two models.   One is the Springfield Hellcat Pro 9mm and the other is the Sig Sauer P320 Full Size, also chambered in 9mm.  Hellcat is a bit more expensive but does come with five 15 round magazines.    The Sig comes with two 17 round magazines. I'll probably make a decision after seeing how they fit in my hand and probably go ahead and pick up one or the other probably saturday. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Last Saturday I hit my favorite Gun Store and picked this up.  Sig Sauer P365XL.  2 12 round magazines and picked up a 15 round extended magazine as well.  I frickin' love Sigs.

IMG_1960.JPG