Open Club  ·  57 members

BBQ Boys

Best thing you've smoked?

johnnyAU

As mentioned, I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to these things.  Among the things I've done, ribs, pork chops, butts, briskets, chuck roasts, chicken wings, pork tenderloin, whole turkey, chicken thighs, chicken breasts, bacon-wrapped, cream cheese stuffed jalapenos, burgers, salmon, etc....but the very best thing has been steaks, and it isn't even close.

Smoke the ribeyes or New York strips for 45 mins to an hour until it's an internal temp of say 105 or so. Then reverse sear them on a grill (I use a cast iron skillet on mine) at 500+F for a minute or two on a side (while marinating with butter) until the internal temp is 125-130. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes.  I may never eat steaks any other way now. 

I might try some grill grates sometime, but other than that, I'm not going to change much.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2020 at 9:51 PM, johnnyAU said:

As mentioned, I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to these things.  Among the things I've done, ribs, pork chops, butts, briskets, chuck roasts, chicken wings, pork tenderloin, whole turkey, chicken thighs, chicken breasts, bacon-wrapped, cream cheese stuffed jalapenos, burgers, salmon, etc....but the very best thing has been steaks, and it isn't even close.

Smoke the ribeyes or New York strips for 45 mins to an hour until it's an internal temp of say 105 or so. Then reverse sear them on a grill (I use a cast iron skillet on mine) at 500+F for a minute or two on a side (while marinating with butter) until the internal temp is 125-130. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes.  I may never eat steaks any other way now. 

I might try some grill grates sometime, but other than that, I'm not going to change much.

What kind of cooker are you working with?

On 9/19/2020 at 8:51 PM, johnnyAU said:

That sounds like an awesome way to do it! I am wondering how long it would take my BGE to go from smoking temp (250-275) to 500+. Probably only a few minutes with the top open. I will try that next time!

I have not tried it but I hear that smoked burgers are quite good. You could also give them a reverse sear!

Edited by Grumps

My favorite thing I've smoked is brisket. My first few were not that great, but they are certainly getting better. The last one I did was the first one I injected, and it made a lot of difference. I also was stubborn at first by trying to do them without wrapping them in foil (Texas crutch). They just don't retain enough moisture without wrapping them. I am glad to trade a crispy bark for incredible moistness and flavor!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Grumps said:

My favorite thing I've smoked is brisket. My first few were not that great, but they are certainly getting better. The last one I did was the first one I injected, and it made a lot of difference. I also was stubborn at first by trying to do them without wrapping them in foil (Texas crutch). They just don't retain enough moisture without wrapping them. I am glad to trade a crispy bark for incredible moistness and flavor!

I bought some pink butcher paper, but haven't used it yet. I have always used foil. Look forward to trying it.

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

Try butcher paper ... helps retain moisture w/o steaming off the bark ...

Do you use a water pan?  I can't get the bark I want with one so I try to spritz frequently instead.  My briskets on the BGE have been hit and miss.

2 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

I bought some pink butcher paper, but haven't used it yet. I have always used foil. Look forward to trying it.

I bought a whole roll of pink butcher paper and tried it once and thought the foil did better.

51 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Try butcher paper ... helps retain moisture w/o steaming off the bark ...

Do you use a water pan?  I can't get the bark I want with one so I try to spritz frequently instead.  My briskets on the BGE have been hit and miss.

See above regarding butcher paper. I should probably try it again. I don't use a water pan and I am too lazy to spritz regularly. Brisket is soooo good when I have wrapped in foil that I just decided that the flavor and moisture from doing it that was worth ending my quest for the holy grail of perfect flavor and moisture AND bark. Maybe you can convince me to resume the quest! I look forward to see how brisket does on your Texas smoker! My guess is that it will be made to be a brisket machine!

On 9/19/2020 at 9:51 PM, johnnyAU said:

What kind of wood did you use? 

On 10/1/2020 at 3:16 PM, SocialCircle said:

What kind of wood did you use? 

I have a pellet grill, so I believe either a competition blend or custom blend of apple and cherry pellets is what I used (just because it was what I had in there).  Probably Oak or Hickory would have been good choices if you have a standard smoker. 

6 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

I have a pellet grill, so I believe either a competition blend or custom blend of apple and cherry pellets is what I used (just because it was what I had in there).  Probably Oak or Hickory would have been good choices if you have a standard smoker. 

Thanks! 

Well, the beer can chicken was very good BTW.  I'd recommend trying it if you haven't.  It only took about 2 hrs in the smoker at 350°F.  I used a kit that was basically a SST tray, along with a formed SST riser and can for the beer to hold the chicken upright.  The rub I used was the Plowboys Yardbird, and I'd also recommend it. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Baby back ribs and briskets have been my best cooks.  Pork tenderloin is good too, as are whole chickens.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2021 at 2:32 PM, MaxCohen216 said:

Baby back ribs and briskets have been my best cooks.  Pork tenderloin is good too, as are whole chickens.

Mastered ribs years ago. Cook slow and wrap in aluminum foil with a beer or whatever handy after about 2 hours. Un wrap and place back on grill to finish up. Have to use a meat thermometer with pork loin. Overcook and may as well nail it to the bottom of your boots

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Mastered ribs years ago. Cook slow and wrap in aluminum foil with a beer or whatever handy after about 2 hours. Un wrap and place back on grill to finish up. Have to use a meat thermometer with pork loin. Overcook and may as well nail it to the bottom of your boots

Lately, I've been experimenting with not wrapping ribs.  I've got a rack of baby backs on my barrel cooker right now (charcoal briquettes and pecan wood chunks), and I don't plan to spritz or even open the lid for the first 3 hours.  I've cooked them like this before, and was pleased with the results.  This method tends to produce a chewy, semi-crunchy bark (from the caramelized sugar in the rub).  They are flavorful and juicy, but not quite as tender and juicy as when I wrap in foil with apple juice.  And the finish color is dark, not the mahogany red that most restaurants serve.

I go back and forth between these two methods.  I like the results from both, although they are very different.

Edited by MaxCohen216
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Yes, I use a Thermoworks Thermapen when cooking everything except ribs.  I pull pork tenderloins at 141-142 degrees for a sear and a hopeful finish temp of 145.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Lately, I've been experimenting with not wrapping ribs.  I've got a rack of baby backs on my barrel cooker right now (charcoal briquettes and pecan wood chunks), and I don't plan to spritz or even open the lid for the first 3 hours.  I've cooked them like this before, and was pleased with the result.  This method tends to produce a chewy, semi-crunchy bark (from the carmelized sugar in the rub).  They are flavorful and juicy, but not quite as tender and juicy as when I wrap in foil with apple juice.

I go back and forth between these two methods.  I like the results from both, although they are very different.

My daughter in law and some of her friends prefer a bit chewy and they love crunchy. My wife a yours truly like fall off the bone. I switch it at times to.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Yes, I use a Thermoworks Thermapen when cooking everything except ribs.  I pull pork tenderloins at 141-142 degrees for a sear and a hopeful finish temp of 145.

I use an Acu-Rite digital......ruined several pork loins in years past. My sons finally coaxed me into investing $25 at Academy. Small window of time will suffice in overcooking a loin.

• Like 1

Just now, SaltyTiger said:

I use an Acu-Rite digital......ruined several pork loins in years past. My sons finally coaxed me into investing $25 at Academy. Small window of time will suffice in overcooking a loin.

I sure love cooking pork loins.  I spiral-cut them about an inch thick, use a meat mallet to achieve a uniform thickness, cover them in a bacon-based stuffing, roll and tie, and smoke indirect with charcoal briquettes and pecan wood chunks.  Cooked that for Thanksgiving this past year.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I sure love cooking pork loins.  I spiral-cut them about an inch thick, use a meat mallet to achieve a uniform thickness, cover them in a bacon-based stuffing, roll and tie, and smoke indirect with charcoal briquettes and pecan wood chunks.  Cooked that for Thanksgiving this past year.

You have me wanting to do a pork loin. Cooked one around Christmas and it turned out great. Only problem is with so much food around during the holidays we sort of forgot about it being in the fridge and ended up having to toss some of it. I have three sons all off of my payroll and doing well now.....when they were younger and home I would take what loin wasn't eaten and make barbeque with it. It always disappeared.

• Like 2