2021 5* LB Terrence Lewis (Maryland)

ellitor

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

That makes me think of Duke Williams.  All the talent in the world but could not get his issues under control.  Ended up punching a few of his teammates to get him kicked out.  I am willing to keep an open mind about this guy though.  I don't want to judge a kid that I know nothing about.  It is a disservice to him.  T-Will seems like a great mentor to have as well.  Maybe he needs a no-nonsense HC like Malzahn to help straighten out his life, or a small town to keep him out of trouble.  It has helped others before.

See my private message to you.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, ellitor said:

And one could say our staff has been desperate since last cycle as we pushed hard at the end for the extremely troubled 5* RB Zach Evans.

What a weird situation that one was. Kid had all the talent in the world. What ended up happening with him? Did he end up somewhere?

5 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

What a weird situation that one was. Kid had all the talent in the world. What ended up happening with him? Did he end up somewhere?

Enrolled at TCU last May.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Enrolled at TCU last May.

I didn't know we made a push for him. I don't recall that. Maybe because it was overshadowed by the mess we call his recruitment. 

23 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I didn't know we made a push for him. I don't recall that. Maybe because it was overshadowed by the mess we call his recruitment. 

It was late & wasn't discussed long.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

And one could say our staff has been desperate since last cycle as we pushed hard at the end for the extremely troubled 5* RB Zach Evans.

Which was very surprising since we already had tank, who is awesome. Yes you can tell that our standards are falling. Gus does run a clean program, I will give him that. But right now he needs players and we are desperate as many of you have noted.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

So let me ask you this. With the information we have right now about TLewis...if situation was differenct...let's say that it was reported that he wanted to go to AU but AU didn't want him based off of what we know right now would you be ok letting him go freely to Tex AM or UT? 

I mean, the kid is a talent. We do not seem to have much information about what his "baggage" is. You say it is desperation. Maybe. It is still a guy that the experts feel is better than 99% of other players in the country. Maybe it is worth the risk. Would we be as concerned about this if Gus wasn't on the hot seat with the fans?

If Gus was wasn't on the hot he wouldn't be after this kid. That is the whole point. 

I don't want to hear you or others defending this then turn around and say something negative about Trooper, Looper, DC or Thig. Never again. 

I have no problem bring this kid in but that isn't how Gus opertares. Well till he feet are in the fire and he is desperate. Funny how character works isn't it. We see Gus's side right here. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, metafour said:

I'm not arguing for or against or whether he's worth the risk or not. We're clearly struggling to fill spots as it is so I have no problem with adding a talented kid.

All I'm saying is that any attempt to paint this as some "guru" move by Gus wherein he's confident he can straighten this kid out is asinine. Trust me, he's not thinking whatsoever about why this kid is falling into our lap all of a sudden; all he's seeing is a 5-star and a no-effort opportunity to Tweet out "BOOOOM!" and pretend like the ground isn't crumbling all around him by pointing to the fact that a 5-star just committed to us.

He's reaching for any "win" he can get. The TE transfer from Oklahoma quite obviously falls into the same category. The kid left Oklahoma because he suffered so many concussions, and yet we're rolling him in and publicizing him as a "star transfer" when he's joining about 6 other TE's on the roster who in total might get 1-2 balls thrown their way over the course of a game. So why bring him in? Because we have spots to fill, and you can earn a free publicity points by selling the idea that we're getting an impact player from another major school. Never mind the fact that the kid might not even be healthy enough to even take the field.

Spot on. The TE info and all. Dead on. 

I say bring the kid in. Hell he is a talent. Maybe if Gus were more open to kids like this we wouldn't have the huge talent void we have now with the top schools. 

I do love the Mikey's of the world defending this then in the past have blasted other AU coaching for bringing kids like this in. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Mikey said:

I know a little something about the area where this kid grew up. At one point last year, Opa-Locka, Florida had the highest crime rate in the nation. Now it just may be that placing him in a solid, clean environment could turn his life around and provide Auburn with a great LB. Maybe not, but I'd think it's worth a shot. We have plenty of slots available.

Pat Dye signing jailbird Otis Mounds not only gave AU a solid football player, it opened a pipeline that kept on sending great players to AU. You never know. https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/66913-mounds-and-dillard-5-giving-something-back/

Mounds turned his life around before he got to Auburn.  Players followed him to Auburn because he was a leader in the community by the time he got to AU.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If Gus was wasn't on the hot he wouldn't be after this kid. That is the whole point. 

I don't want to hear you or others defending this then turn around and say something negative about Trooper, Looper, DC or Thig. Never again. 

I have no problem bring this kid in but that isn't how Gus opertares. Well till he feet are in the fire and he is desperate. Funny how character works isn't it. We see Gus's side right here. 

Lol well boss we don't always get what we want, do we?

don't want to hear you or others defending this then turn around and say something negative about Trooper, Looper, DC or Thig. Never again.

I can promise you have not heard me blast a name on that list period, but I won't fault a coach for taking a chance on an elite talent especially when every other school does and they out recruit us on a big scale. 

While not the same thing exactly, for some reason this conversation brought me back to the Tubby days.  When we would sign high rated guys that other schools didn’t go after because they were mental cases or had zero chance of qualifying.

I think WDE and Meta are spot on in their evaluations and understanding, spot on.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

While not the same thing exactly, for some reason this conversation brought me back to the Tubby days.  When we would sign high rated guys that other schools didn’t go after because they were mental cases or had zero chance of qualifying.

I think WDE and Meta are spot on in their evaluations and understanding.

Does anybody here even know what the kid has done or what kind of "issues" he has? 

Before I will criticize a staff about taking a chance on a kid I need to know more about what he did. All I have heard are rumblings. If anyone has any knowledge about it pm me if you do not want to post it.

I know there are a few players CGM has targeted where there were rumored "character issues" or "discipline issues" and everybody seemed to fine with it. It was all heresay to begin with with zero substantial evidence.

Nonsense.Do the names Cam Newton and Nick Marshall ring a bell?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

That was back in the day when a school could do the "sign to place" deal. Most schools were signing 30 to 35 players, knowing full well that many would never qualify. Houston Nutt signed around 40 one year, which brought the NCAA to pass the "Nutt Rule" that put an end to the practice of oversigning.

I think Tuberville's top year was 32 signees. Shula at UAT signed 34 that same year. It made sense at the time and stopped being a viable tactic when the rules changed.

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Nonsense.Do the names Cam Newton and Nick Marshall ring a bell?

The flaw in the argument is they think Gus is all of a sudden desperate to get good players. I would argue a big time college coach sharing a state with and recruiting against arguably the greatest to ever do it is desperate to sign good players to begin with. 

I honestly think there was more evidence against both Nick and Cam to shy away from them then there is this kid. Everybody knew what Cam had done. 

Again, I think it is just the state of the Program and how people feel about Gus. Like I mentioned in another post, people will find fault in everything he does because they want him gone. I want Gus gone, too. I just am not going to be unreasonable about it. 

Edited by Tigerpro2a
  • Like 1

here is a real situation:  we have  a very favorable schedule next year and Gus will win enough to get off the hot seat, with the experience we have returning. 

Allen is gonna have to figure out if he tells Gus, "no"  to a contract extension (for recruiting purposes, Gus will ask).  

Our recruiting situation is in flux for sure.

Edited by Beaker

Except that you're now equating a 5-star HS recruit with supposed "problems" and a JUCO transfer QB with "problems" and pretending like it's the same thing. First off, very few teams are in the market for a JUCO QB in the first place. In Nick Marshall's case, that list is even smaller because he only fits teams that run a certain type of offense. We also can't pretend like all "problems" are equal, but there is also the variable that a QB is more important than any LB - and thus teams may be more willing to take a risk on a potential risk there (or less of a risk depending on the coach).

Everyone in the country has a need for a 5-star LB - so its a little bit more peculiar when no one else seems to want to give us much of a fight for this kid. You don't find that a little odd? The other angle that we need to talk about is the fact that both Cam and Marshall were squeaky clean in their seasons away at JUCO which is absolutely a factor in itself. Or do we believe that Gus would still take them on if they were still causing problems at their respective JUCO's?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

sad news folks - we have  a very favorable schedule next year and Gus will win enough  with the experience we have returning. 

I don't think Auburn having a winning season next year is a sad thing.

Why yes, I'll support our current coach and team as long as the coach holds that position. When the next guy comes in, I'll be hoping he wins every game too. I don't understand people rooting for AU to lose a game, any game.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Beaker said:

sad news folks - we have  a very favorable schedule next year and Gus will win enough  with the experience we have returning. 

Allen is gonna have to figure out if he tells Gus, "no"  to a contract extension (for recruiting purposes, Gus will ask).  

Our recruiting situation is in flux for sure.

THIS. This has been a fear of mine lately. I feel like 2021 sets up better from a roster standpoint and a schedule standpoint. Get Bama and UGA at home. I could see Gus somehow squeezing out a good season maybe even a West title and then the pressure will be on our PTB with him wanting an extension. Hopefully, another Arky comes along trying to hire him away and we just let nature takes it's course, but if that doesn't happen...what do we do? It would be a horrible optic to fire him after a good season even though we know he would have stumbled into it. Tough Cookie that one is. 

• Like 1

Can we keep this thread a Terrence Lewis thread and be excited that we're leading for a 5* LB? He's the #16 player in the entire country according to 247 for f**** sake.

• Like 3