Football facility estimated to cost $91.9 million

aubiefifty

It needs a tower or spire of some sort just to pi**-off the liberal arts students and faculty who would incessantly b&m about it being phallic and insensitive.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A comparison:

A new high end one level office building cost up to $250 per square foot in 2020 

Auburn's new football facility is 233,400 square feet at an estimated cost of $91.9 million or $394 per square foot. 

Oregon's new football facility is 145,000 square feet and cost $68 million or $469 per square foot. 

Auburn's new facility is 1.6 times larger than Oregon's new facility. You could fit four football fields including the end zones into this building. 

I hope that this helps clarify the size and scope of this project. 

Pearl: New football facility a ‘great thing’

Bryan Matthews • AuburnSports

Senior Editor

AUBURN | Auburn’s football program is getting a $91.9 million facility and Bruce Pearl couldn’t be happier.

Auburn’s seventh-year head basketball coach even plans to financially support the new Football Performance Center, which is scheduled to be completed in July 2022.

“This, in my mind, if we’re going to compete for championships — and in football we do — we’ve got to provide them with the resources and the facilities. So, I’m a big proponent of it,” Pearl said. “I’ll be a supporter of it financially, my family and I. I’m excited for the student-athletes and the coaches.

“It’s a tremendous investment, but we invest in our students here at Auburn and we have high expectations for our students here at Auburn. And we’re the last in the league to really make this football, stand-alone facility. And then what’s going to happen is, everybody else’s facilities will benefit a little bit because of football moving out and there will be some good opportunities there for everyone to get better. It’s a great thing.”

It was just five years ago that Pearl had to use the rehab facilities in the current athletics complex, which was built in 1989. He underwent knee replacement surgery in March of 2016.

“Well, all I can tell you is, three years ago when I had to have a knee replacement I spent a lot of time over in the football complex working with our wonderful, incredible trainers and physical therapists,” Pearl said. “And it actually broke my heart to watch out athletes coming in, having to do some physical therapy, and every corner of the room there was no space, it was an inadequate treatment facility in one of the Top 10 football programs in the country.”

On 1/31/2021 at 1:13 PM, AUx said:

It needs a tower or spire of some sort just to pi**-off the liberal arts students and faculty who would incessantly b&m about it being phallic and insensitive.

You know that liberal arts has nothing to do with liberal politics, right???

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

You know that liberal arts has nothing to do with liberal politics, right???

Sorry to be insensitive. No need to B&M. Mea culpa.

3 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Probably a pay article but the statement that it doesn’t have much of an impact is interesting.

Facilities like this help get them on campus and allow the coaches to make their pitch.  Look at what all the recruits were talking about when Clemson finished their new facility.  That is all the recruits were talking about.  I would say a majority of the great recruits sign for their chance to get to the NFL. 

35 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Facilities like this help get them on campus and allow the coaches to make their pitch.  Look at what all the recruits were talking about when Clemson finished their new facility.  That is all the recruits were talking about.  I would say a majority of the great recruits sign for their chance to get to the NFL. 

With Auburn recruiting where it is today, this FOF dang sure won't hurt recruiting. At minimum, the lack of a FOF won't be used against us and Auburn can go toe to toe with other programs.  

1 hour ago, keesler said:

With Auburn recruiting where it is today, this FOF dang sure won't hurt recruiting. At minimum, the lack of a FOF won't be used against us and Auburn can go toe to toe with other programs.  

I agree it won't hurt, but that facility will not be the deciding factor for top level recruits.

I'm thinking for $91 mill, we should upgrade the entranceway just a little. Adding vertical lines to the entranceway would also contrast the flat roofs and horizontal lines of the rest of the complex. It wouldn't take much creativity to design something better.

So maybe from this, 

Auburn football facility front design

to something more like this.

Clemson Football

1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

I agree it won't hurt, but that facility will not be the deciding factor for top level recruits.

More importantly it will open the door and help level the playing field with some of the big time recruits

Archived