Wine

McLoofus

Paging @ShocksMyBrain, @fredst, @Tiger Refuge and anyone else who might have a strong opinion...

Big, bold, not-too-far-over-$20 red wines that you guys love? We're typically partial to cabs, zins and meritages, but open to other varietals. No food pairings in mind. Just something nice to chew on in this gloomy weather while wearing sweatpants and wool socks. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Paging @ShocksMyBrain, @fredst, @Tiger Refuge and anyone else who might have a strong opinion...

Big, bold, not-too-far-over-$20 red wines that you guys love? We're typically partial to cabs, zins and meritages, but open to other varietals. No food pairings in mind. Just something nice to chew on in this gloomy weather while wearing sweatpants and wool socks. 

I’ll make a list of some good, should be regularly available $20-25 wines when I go into work today. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I’ll make a list of some good, should be regularly available $20-25 wines when I go into work today. 

Preciate ya, brother. Could very well serve as a sort of stickied/pinned style reference for all. Or, at a minimum, a good start to an ongoing thread. I'm just going to assume that a few of us find time for wine in between the beer and the booze. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Preciate ya, brother. Could very well serve as a sort of stickied/pinned style reference for all. Or, at a minimum, a good start to an ongoing thread. I'm just going to assume that a few of us find time for wine in between the beer and the booze. 

Just change the title of this thread and there’s our ongoing wine thread. 

• Like 1

• McLoofus changed the title to Wine
8 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Just change the title of this thread and there’s our ongoing wine thread. 

Proud of myself for figuring out how to do that, even if it was by accident. 

• Haha 2

I had a pretty good Grenache the other day. I’ll try to track down the name, can’t recall at present. Seghesio makes a nice fruit-forward zin that I think is delicious and is very affordable, goes great with a grilled steak. Or, splurge and really treat yourself with an Merry Edwards wine- she makes great pinots but also some other varietals. Had a dinner with tastings of her wines that she actually attended when we were in Montana two summers ago; very interesting lady who has been making great wines for awhile now.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, fredst said:

I had a pretty good Grenache the other day. I’ll try to track down the name, can’t recall at present. Seghesio makes a nice fruit-forward zin that I think is delicious and is very affordable, goes great with a grilled steak. Or, splurge and really treat yourself with an Merry Edwards wine- she makes great pinots but also some other varietals. Had a dinner with tastings of her wines that she actually attended when we were in Montana two summers ago; very interesting lady who has been making great wines for awhile now.

I love when you can attach an experience- drink, food, music, etc- to memories like that. I have a few beers from my summer in Montana that I'll always treasure, even though that was 25 years ago (gulp). Same with pinot grigio from San Gemignano, Nobile di Montepulciano, etc. 

• Like 1

@McLoofus

Cab:

Three Finger Jack 17.99

Prisoner Unshackled 22.99

Alexander Valley Vineyards 20.99

Juggernaut 19.99

Hess Select North Coast 18.99

Lydian 22.99

Oberon 23.99

Daou 24.99

Duckhorn Greenwing 29.99

Blend

Killer Drop 21.99

Conundrum 21.99

Faithful Hound 22.99

Cadence Coda 24.99

Daou Pessimist 19.99

Matchbook the Arsonist 19.99

Quilt 24.99

Ridge Three Valleys 32.99

Misc. 

Catena Malbec 19.99

Zuccardi Concreto Malbec 34.99

Zuccardi Serie A Malbec 14.99

Cocodrillo (Argentina blend) 26.99

Molly Dooker the Boxer Shiraz 26.99

Molly Doomer Maitre D Cab 26.99

Bouza Tannat Reserva 24.99

Time place Cinsault 32.99

Four Virtues Zin 18.99

Biale Party Line Zin 24.99

Frank Family Zin 29.99

Prisoner Saldo Zin 29.99

Rombauer Zin 35.89

Heitz Zin 35.99

Matanzas Creek Merlot 27.99

Oberon Merlot 21.99

The Fableist Merlot 21.99

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

@McLoofus

Cab:

Three Finger Jack 17.99

Prisoner Unshackled 22.99

Alexander Valley Vineyards 20.99

Juggernaut 19.99

Hess Select North Coast 18.99

Lydian 22.99

Oberon 23.99

Daou 24.99

Duckhorn Greenwing 29.99

Blend

Killer Drop 21.99

Conundrum 21.99

Faithful Hound 22.99

Cadence Coda 24.99

Daou Pessimist 19.99

Matchbook the Arsonist 19.99

Quilt 24.99

Ridge Three Valleys 32.99

Misc. 

Catena Malbec 19.99

Zuccardi Concreto Malbec 34.99

Zuccardi Serie A Malbec 14.99

Cocodrillo (Argentina blend) 26.99

Molly Dooker the Boxer Shiraz 26.99

Molly Doomer Maitre D Cab 26.99

Bouza Tannat Reserva 24.99

Time place Cinsault 32.99

Four Virtues Zin 18.99

Biale Party Line Zin 24.99

Frank Family Zin 29.99

Prisoner Saldo Zin 29.99

Rombauer Zin 35.89

Heitz Zin 35.99

Matanzas Creek Merlot 27.99

Oberon Merlot 21.99

The Fableist Merlot 21.99

Dude, thanks! Love that Three Finger Jack. Not sure if I've had any of the rest but I aim to change that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Dude, thanks! Love that Three Finger Jack. Not sure if I've had any of the rest but I aim to change that.

Three Finger Jack also has a blend that we just got, but I haven’t tried it yet. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Also if you have any questions about any of them, I can answer. But all should be easy to find on Google/Vivino app. 

• Thanks 1

And I didn’t list any Pinots because the only ones I ever like are higher end. I never buy Pinot. 

I also rarely enjoy Spanish, French, or Italian. Too rustic for me, my palate is definitely more domestic. They never have the body I look for in red wine (which is why I don’t really care for sub-$50 Pinot—I like my Pinot to dupe me into thinking it’s a Cab). French whites like Chenin Blanc, Sancerre, and Chardonnay I can **** with though. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

11 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

And I didn’t list any Pinots because the only ones I ever like are higher end. I never buy Pinot. 

I also rarely enjoy Spanish, French, or Italian. Too rustic for me, my palate is definitely more domestic. They never have the body I look for in red wine (which is why I don’t really care for sub-$50 Pinot—I like my Pinot to dupe me into thinking it’s a Cab). French whites like Chenin Blanc, Sancerre, and Chardonnay I can **** with though. 

Also not a huge pinot guy but I do like wines from all those places. I'm very limited in what I actually buy, though. Just getting back into the game, really. 

One thing I'd like to see more of is pinotages. Those can get pretty funky.

Both of these were very good, btw. (Made my wine run on Friday before you posted that awesome list.) The Critic was probably the highlight.

PXL_20210221_130746980.jpg

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Also not a huge pinot guy but I do like wines from all those places. I'm very limited in what I actually buy, though. Just getting back into the game, really. 

One thing I'd like to see more of is pinotages. Those can get pretty funky.

Both of these were very good, btw. (Made my wine run on Friday before you posted that awesome list.) The Critic was probably the highlight.

PXL_20210221_130746980.jpg

I’ve had Luke before. It was solid, and I normally don’t care for Washington Cabs because they’re usually too soft. 

We have one Pinotage in the store—Short Street, around $15. I haven’t had it though. Our customer base really doesn’t dig the funky, weird wines. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

FINALLY popped a bottle of bubbles to celebrate new house. $150 375ml that was gifted to me. 

YkewrHf.jpg

Our realtor gave us a bottle of Veuve Clicquot Grand Dame as a closing gift. My in-laws came to visit and arrived before we got home. Mother-in-law finished half the bottle before we got home. It was sitting next to the Ruffino we'd bought 4 bottles of just for her. 

It was an honest mistake and she felt terrible but... I mean... damn. 

We really enjoyed the Decoy Cab with our steaks Sunday night. It's from the Duckhorn (on the list you provided) portfolio. Totally agree with this:

Overall, I really enjoyed this lovely Cabernet.

It’s elegant and well-crafted and really reflects what a twenty-dollar Cab should be.

Also, if you want to get the best out of this wine, give it some time to breathe.

Everything softens up nicely and the darker, black fruits that everyone loves these days, make themselves known.

and can 100% confirm this:

This wine would be an obvious complement to a nice Filet Mignon.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Our realtor gave us a bottle of Veuve Clicquot Grand Dame as a closing gift. My in-laws came to visit and arrived before we got home. Mother-in-law finished half the bottle before we got home. It was sitting next to the Ruffino we'd bought 4 bottles of just for her. 

It was an honest mistake and she felt terrible but... I mean... damn. 

We really enjoyed the Decoy Cab with our steaks Sunday night. It's from the Duckhorn (on the list you provided) portfolio. Totally agree with this:

and can 100% confirm this:

Grande Dame Cliquot is so good too. Much better than the regular orange label (which I don’t think is very good). Glad you enjoyed the Decoy. Try Greenwing next. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Grande Dame Cliquot is so good too. Much better than the regular orange label (which I don’t think is very good). Glad you enjoyed the Decoy. Try Greenwing next. 

I'm not a champagne guy, honestly- I just know some prices. Although I did have one in Sonoma one time that was fantastic- Iron Horse, I think it was. But it's funny how wine tastes good while you're standing in a gorgeous California vinyard on an absolutely perfect, sunny afternoon with some of your best friends while a bus full of sorority girls gets completely plowed 50 feet away. Hell of a day, that one. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'm not a champagne guy, honestly- I just know some prices. Although I did have one in Sonoma one time that was fantastic- Iron Horse, I think it was. But it's funny how wine tastes good while you're standing in a gorgeous California vinyard on an absolutely perfect, sunny afternoon with some of your best friends while a bus full of sorority girls gets completely plowed 50 feet away. Hell of a day, that one. 

I prefer brut rosé to champagne all day every day. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 1:04 PM, McLoofus said:

I'm not a champagne guy, honestly

Man, I love good Champagne/sparkling wine. High end: Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame for a delicious brut or Laurent Perrier Cuvée Rose for something a little fruitier and that beautiful pink and cheaper(or DomPerignon even though it seems cliche it is always delicious). For lower range: Tattinger is a delicious dry brut and Bollinger for something with more body (plus, James Bond drinks it for goodness sake). Domestic: Schramsberg Blancs de Blancs for a nice brut and Mirabelle Brut Rose for something with a little more body. Something about opening bubbly makes everything festive; it begs for making memories.  Was fortunate to take my family to Scotland for Christmas/New Year holiday right before pandemic:  Christmas Eve had Krug Grand Cuvée with osetra caviar and blinis with crepe fraiche; we each got maybe a glass and a bite but OMG...it was so delicious and memorable I don’t think any of us will forget it (you only live once right?)

Man, all of that sounds super pretentious😔

• Love 1

14 hours ago, fredst said:

Man, I love good Champagne/sparkling wine. High end: Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame for a delicious brut or Laurent Perrier Cuvée Rose for something a little fruitier and that beautiful pink and cheaper(or DomPerignon even though it seems cliche it is always delicious). For lower range: Tattinger is a delicious dry brut and Bollinger for something with more body (plus, James Bond drinks it for goodness sake). Domestic: Schramsberg Blancs de Blancs for a nice brut and Mirabelle Brut Rose for something with a little more body. Something about opening bubbly makes everything festive; it begs for making memories.  Was fortunate to take my family to Scotland for Christmas/New Year holiday right before pandemic:  Christmas Eve had Krug Grand Cuvée with osetra caviar and blinis with crepe fraiche; we each got maybe a glass and a bite but OMG...it was so delicious and memorable I don’t think any of us will forget it (you only live once right?)

Man, all of that sounds super pretentious😔

Well, when you put it that way...

I will say that we went to this little cafe in Florence that is famous for prosecco served with these little pate sandwiches and I totally "got it". And I do get it as a key ingredient to a special occasion. But I never crave it just to drink like I do most other things we discuss on these pages.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Im surprised nobody has mentioned any Pinot Noirs in here....Those are my favorites, but Im starting to feel clueless on an island out here! lol....whats wrong with Pinot Noirs? haha!!

4 hours ago, SaturdayGT said:

Im surprised nobody has mentioned any Pinot Noirs in here....Those are my favorites, but Im starting to feel clueless on an island out here! lol....whats wrong with Pinot Noirs? haha!!

I love a Pinot noir with a steak!

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

@WarTim, you are truly pathetic. My God. You are a mod literally stalking me around this site to neg my posts. GTFOOH. Seriously. This is not a space where people act like petty douchebags.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1