Open Club  ·  24 members

AU Foodies

Pizza

McLoofus

It's my favorite food and I still get excited for pizza Friday (family tradition that I started a couple years ago) like a little kid going to dine in at Pizza Hut. Y'all remember that? When Pizza Hut was a full service restaurant with red checkered tablecloths and video games? 

We might have to brake this one up into recipes vs restaurants vs regional arguments, but we'll just see where it goes. Best pizza ever? Favorite style? Favorite toppings? Never gets old for me. 

• Love 2

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It's my favorite food and I still get excited for pizza Friday (family tradition that I started a couple years ago) like a little kid going to dine in at Pizza Hut. Y'all remember that? When Pizza Hut was a full service restaurant with red checkered tablecloths and video games? 

We might have to brake this one up into recipes vs restaurants vs regional arguments, but we'll just see where it goes. Best pizza ever? Favorite style? Favorite toppings? Never gets old for me. 

Nothing hit quite like a pan pizza brought to your table at Pizza Hut. Hotter than lava. So good. Especially after a baseball or soccer game. Even the s*** songs on the jukebox sounded better than usual. 

I hate to be obvious, but my favorite pizza ever is probably any of many, many slices, late at night, after hitting bars in NYC. Hard to find a bad one there. 

I also love the thin and crispy, but not too thin and crispy, style. For the Louisiana folks on here, I would kill for a Johnny's Sweep the Kitchen. It's been about 10 years and I can still taste it. 

• Love 2

11 minutes ago, cbo said:

For the Louisiana folks on here, I would kill for a Johnny's Sweep the Kitchen.

You know....I've yet to go there. Will have to try it out on your recommendation.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what it is. It's a chain. It's nothing fancy. But it's so damn good. 

I'm sure part is a family thing. I'm not from LA, but my wife is. Spent a ton of time down there with her family. Johnny's was her paw paw's favorite, and that dude was the greatest. 

• Like 2

@cbo @ValleyTiger

Johnny’s pizza started here in my hometown. It’s really good for a chain place. @cbo I agree. Their Sweep the Kitchen is really good. Almost all their pizzas are thin crust. They also do a Sweep the Swamp in the springtime that has crawfish and andouille on it. That one is legit my fav.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Love 3

Ironic that this topic came up. A local Neapolitan pizza place is giving me the chance to design my own pizza as their special for the month of November. All the proceeds will go to a charity of my choice. I have it narrowed down to two pizzas. First, a white bbq sauce base topped with chopped burnt brisket ends, caramelized onions, and smoked Gouda. Option of thin sliced habaneros.  Named the “Smokejumper”.

Second choice-  An Alfredo sauce base, topped with shrimp, lump crab, thin sliced Roma tomato, thin sliced red and orange bell, diced white onion, shredded mozz and crumbled feta. 

Not sure which I’m gonna go with yet.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

28 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Ironic that this topic came up. A local Neapolitan pizza place is giving me the chance to design my own pizza as their special for the month of November. All the proceeds will go to a charity of my choice. I have it narrowed down to two pizzas. First, a white bbq sauce base topped with chopped burnt brisket ends, caramelized onions, and smoked Gouda. Option of thin sliced habaneros.  Named the “Smokejumper”.

Second choice-  An Alfredo sauce base, topped with shrimp, lump crab, thin sliced Roma tomato, thin sliced red and orange bell, diced white onion, shredded mozz and crumbled feta. 

Ah, man those both sound amazing and love everything on both, but today I'd probably lean 2nd choice with the shrimp and lump crab 🤤

• Love 1

45 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

@cbo @ValleyTiger

Johnny’s pizza started here in my hometown. It’s really good for a chain place. @cbo I agree. Their Sweep the Kitchen is really good. Almost all their pizzas are thin crust. They also do a Sweep the Swamp in the springtime that has crawfish and andouille on it. That one is legit my fav.

I love it. I don't know why I never tried the Sweep the Swamp. Probably because Paw Paw never wanted it. Which is weird, because he loves that stuff. 

What's your hometown?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Damn. Sounds like you can't go wrong. Great choices, my friend. 

• Love 1

6 hours ago, cbo said:

I love it. I don't know why I never tried the Sweep the Swamp. Probably because Paw Paw never wanted it. Which is weird, because he loves that stuff. 

What's your hometown?

Good ole Monroe,LA. Johnny’s sprout up around here like Dollar Generals.

8 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I vote Smoke Jumper, but it was not an easy decision. I like how @ValleyTigersaid "today". Exactly.

What's the charity? Feel free to share here. It seems the link you previously had is no longer in your auto sig.

49 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I vote Smoke Jumper, but it was not an easy decision. I like how @ValleyTigersaid "today". Exactly.

What's the charity? Feel free to share here. It seems the link you previously had is no longer in your auto sig.

Well, I'll make this short story long. 

The guy that owns the joint, I met him initially in a local facebook beer page. He came in asking what folks wanted in a beer menu from a pizza joint. Naturally, I responded. So he and I hit it off, and I made sure to holler at him the first time we went in the joint. I took him a BA Old Mad Joy as a "welcome to the hood/good luck" gift. It blew his mind. He had never had a barrel aged beer before. Fast forward, he saw some of my FB posts when I was out in Cali. He wanted to know all about what I was doing out there, etc. So to my surprise, he posts on his restaurant page that he is picking folks from the community for the next several months to do this charity offer. Since he picked me based on the wildfire detail, I wanted to go with a fire(smoke) them to the pizza, and subsequently, my charity as well. So I am choosing the Wildland Firefighter Foundation

https://wffoundation.org/ 

They give money to help injured wildland firefighters as well as the families of fallen firefighters. Truly a grass root organization. 

As an aside, I can't say enough about Zac and his crew at Revival Pizza Co. Their food is fantastic, which matches how awesome a group of folks they are. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

7 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Well, I'll make this short story long. 

The guy that owns the joint, I met him initially in a local facebook beer page. He came in asking what folks wanted in a beer menu from a pizza joint. Naturally, I responded. So he and I hit it off, and I made sure to holler at him the first time we went in the joint. I took him a BA Old Mad Joy as a "welcome to the hood/good luck" gift. It blew his mind. He had never had a barrel aged beer before. Fast forward, he saw some of my FB posts when I was out in Cali. He wanted to know all about what I was doing out there, etc. So to my surprise, he posts on his restaurant page that he is picking folks from the community for the next several months to do this charity offer. Since he picked me based on the wildfire detail, I wanted to go with a fire(smoke) them to the pizza, and subsequently, my charity as well. So I am choosing the Wildland Firefighter Foundation

https://wffoundation.org/ 

They give money to help injured wildland firefighters as well as the families of fallen firefighters. Truly a grass root organization. 

As an aside, I can't say enough about Zac and his crew at Revival Pizza Co. Their food is fantastic, which matches how awesome a group of folks they are. 

Maaaaaan, I love how those little community connections can be made over food and drink. Kinda hoping more of that from this club. Has happened a little already, methinks.

To the injured and the fallen. Donation made, wish I could give more. May the rest of you maniacs stay safe. And may I get my ass down that way one day for some pizza and beer!

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Maaaaaan, I love how those little community connections can be made over food and drink. Kinda hoping more of that from this club. Has happened a little already, methinks.

To the injured and the fallen. Donation made, wish I could give more. May the rest of you maniacs stay safe. And may I get my ass down that way one day for some pizza and beer!

Dude. You rock. I’m gonna leave it at that.

Cheers my friend.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I second @McLoofus and vote “Smokejumper” but they both sound great. Also a small donation to your cause👊🏼

Edited by fredst
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

@cbo, a little pizza screen pr0n for ya. Soooooo easy with the Publix pre rolled crust. This is the kids' pie. Diavola on deck for the 'rents. We'll use the premade but not pre rolled dough for that one.

Damn, that looks legit, Loof! Going to purchase a screen soon. Is that mozzarella slices or some fresh mozz? I like the way you have the golden brown cheese with some solid white patches. If that makes sense. 

I've got Marcos on the way. I'm even less excited about that now. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Damn, that looks legit, Loof! Going to purchase a screen soon. Is that mozzarella slices or some fresh mozz? I like the way you have the golden brown cheese with some solid white patches. If that makes sense. 

I've got Marcos on the way. I'm even less excited about that now. 

Definitely fresh mozz. One of those big logs they sell in the plastic.

And it makes complete sense.

• Love 2

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Definitely fresh mozz. One of those big logs they sell in the plastic.

And it makes complete sense.

Lucky kids in that house. 

• Love 1

• 1 month later...

You guys are way more sophisticated with your pizzas than I have even thought about. However, if pan pizza was ever one of favorites (particularly the crust), I can recommend the following recipe:

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/crispy-cheesy-pan-pizza-recipe

Also, if you ever stoop to a frozen pizza, give Motor City pizzas a try. Best frozen pizza that I have ever had.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, akillshot said:

You guys are way more sophisticated with your pizzas than I have even thought about. However, if pan pizza was ever one of favorites (particularly the crust), I can recommend the following recipe:

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/crispy-cheesy-pan-pizza-recipe

Also, if you ever stoop to a frozen pizza, give Motor City pizzas a try. Best frozen pizza that I have ever had.

I love making pizza in a cast iron pan.

And frozen pizza ain't what it used to be. Lots of really great ones out there. Home Run Inn is my gold standard- it's not deep dish, but the *other* Chicago style, with the buttery, crumbly crust and high quality toppings- but I will gladly try Motor City.

Something I'm only now taking seriously, almost 7 years into parenthood, is finding the balance between "really good" and "can actually do it on a Tuesday or Wednesday and my kids will eat it". That them has probably dominated my content in this club, lol. But the effort has been rewarded the last couple months. 

So..... I got the wife a DoJoe for Christmas, birthday, valentine's day. We found something we liked and wanted so to justify the purchase we turn it into a gift. Anyway, the DoJoe is a pizza oven adapter for the Kamado Joe ceramic cooker. Now we're ready to jump into the wonderful world of homemade pizzas (which we've done a little with the conventional oven) and I'm asking for help, HELP. We're looking for that perfect dough recipe. We like thin and crispy crust but with some chewiness to it. We'd love to make a good size batch and then freeze so we have it on hand. Any suggestions? Open to any tips and tricks too.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AUSwim said:

So..... I got the wife a DoJoe for Christmas, birthday, valentine's day. We found something we liked and wanted so to justify the purchase we turn it into a gift. Anyway, the DoJoe is a pizza oven adapter for the Kamado Joe ceramic cooker. Now we're ready to jump into the wonderful world of homemade pizzas (which we've done a little with the conventional oven) and I'm asking for help, HELP. We're looking for that perfect dough recipe. We like thin and crispy crust but with some chewiness to it. We'd love to make a good size batch and then freeze so we have it on hand. Any suggestions? Open to any tips and tricks too.

How hot does the Joe get? You might be able to go full Neopolitan on it. 

https://thepizzaheaven.com/authentic-neapolitan-pizza-dough-recipe/