Open Club  ·  24 members

AU Foodies

Recipes

fredst

Wanted to start a topic on favorite recipes. Any and all are welcome. Here is one of our summer favorites, unfortunately late with fall now here. Perfect for those of you with access to fresh fish (looking at you @McLoofus)

https://eatalabamaseafood.com/recipes/grouper-with-basil-lime-vinaigrette

This is so simple and delicious, particularly with fresh basil and homegrown tomatoes straight from the back yard. From Chris Hastings (a Frank Stitt disciple) who started Hot&Hot Fish Club in Birmingham, AL, a great restaurant if you ever have the chance to visit it.

F0FA2737-4976-43A5-881C-F2A953A72CB7.jpeg

Edited by fredst
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

Wanted to start a topic on favorite recipes. Any and all are welcome. Here is one of our summer favorites, unfortunately late with fall now here. Perfect for those of you with access to fresh fish (looking at you @McLoofus)

https://eatalabamaseafood.com/recipes/grouper-with-basil-lime-vinaigrette

This is so simple and delicious, particularly with fresh basil and homegrown tomatoes straight from the back yard.

F0FA2737-4976-43A5-881C-F2A953A72CB7.jpeg

1. Chris Hastings  :bow:

2. This is what I'm talking about with technique. Even though summer's just about over I can change some of the ingredients and flavors on this but basically do the same thing. 

3. Local fish is expensive as hell right now! But we're still eating it duh

Awesome way to kick this one off. Love it. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

1. Chris Hastings  :bow:

2. This is what I'm talking about with technique. Even though summer's just about over I can change some of the ingredients and flavors on this but basically do the same thing. 

3. Local fish is expensive as hell right now! But we're still eating it duh

Awesome way to kick this one off. Love it. 

And, not telling you anything you wouldn’t already know but…pair that with a nice buttery white (gasp, Chardonnay) with that tart lime vinaigrette…very nice

• Thanks 1

A lot of what we've discussed today at play right here. Quick weeknight meal for two littles and two talls. Maple brown sugar sockeye, bag salad kit and rice cooked in homemade chicken stock I pulled out of the freezer. Quick thawed the stock in microwave, threw it in the rice cooker with white rice,  salt and butter. Threw the salmon in a hot pan skin side down, salted and peppered, and slathered on a mix of basically equal parts softened butter (we leave our butter dish out full time), maple syrup, brown sugar and whole grain mustard. Tossed the bag salad, flipped the fish, started plating the kids, turned off the fish and served. Kids went NUTS for the fish. Goodness that's a satisfying feeling.

PXL_20210922_215612966.jpg

Edited by McLoofus
  • Love 4

I’ll clutter my own topic and post another recipe here. This is a winter/comfort food recipe that, like the grouper recipe, comes from a fancy-pants place but is very easy and so good. We have cooked this many times as Christmas Eve dinner because it looks fancy, tastes delicious, and doesn’t require a lot of prep time right before serving. This is a nice counterpart to the warm weather recipe of earlier. If looking for a wine pairing, a nice hefty Cab or (red) Chateauneuf de Pape is just right:

416805CE-4E73-4274-B6EA-95D6D4250B3A.jpeg

• Love 3

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

A lot of what we've discussed today at play right here. Quick weeknight meal for two littles and two talls. Maple brown sugar sockeye, bag salad kit and rice cooked in homemade chicken stock I pulled out of the freezer. Quick thawed the stock in microwave, threw it in the rice cooker with white rice,  salt and butter. Threw the salmon in a hot pan skin side down, salted and peppered, and slathered on a mix of basically equal parts softened butter (we leave our butter dish out full time), maple syrup, brown sugar and whole grain mustard. Tossed the bag salad, flipped the fish, started plating the kids, turned off the fish and served. Kids went NUTS for the fish. Goodness that's a satisfying feeling.

Damn, that looks good for a quick and simple meal. When is too late to show up for dinner? I’m thinking it will take me 10-12 hours to make the drive, drop a pin

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, fredst said:

Damn, that looks good for a quick and simple meal. When is too late to show up for dinner? I’m thinking it will take me 10-12 hours to make the drive, drop a pin

Buddy when you get down here we ain't eating no damn salmon and bag salad. We might drink a buttery chardonnay, though.

We'll start at Hudson's on Skull Creek. We can walk to my house from there if we need to. 

Narrator: They needed to.

• Love 2

One of my go-to quick meals is “Greek chicken”. 

2’ish lbs of fresh chicken tenderloins, cut into 1” cubes

2 Tablespoons Greek seasoning(see pic)

Olive oil- 2-4 tablespoons(preference is yours)

Juice of one lemon

Place cut up chicken in a bowl, add remaining ingredients and toss. Can be cooked immediately or allowed to marinate in the fridge for a bit.

Cook until done. I usually add a little EVOO to the skillet and then add chicken. I like to cook until it starts to fall apart/shred, so mine takes a little longer.

When it’s done-

redneck tzatziki- I grab one small, individual serving size of regular, unflavored Greek yogurt. I’ll scoop it out into a small bowl and add a couple 2-3 tablespoons of ranch dressing and a healthy sprinkling of dry dill. Mix.

I serve the chicken on small, flour street tacos. They are super close to the texture of pita bread and are a great serving size. I’ll add a dollop of the t sauce, chicken, and top with a few pieces of fresh spinach and maybe a little crumbled feta.

-ETA- Also serves well with pita chips. Kinda like Greek nachos.

From start to finish, meal can be ready in 15-20 minutes.

The Greek seasoning recipe will last me a while, but I always remake and keep it in a sandwich bag in my spice cabinet.

151D092C-DCCB-4B36-AB4A-9560D80AD7B1.jpeg

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Love 3

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Buddy when you get down here we ain't eating no damn salmon and bag salad. We might drink a buttery chardonnay, though.

We'll start at Hudson's on Skull Creek. We can walk to my house from there if we need to. 

Narrator: They needed to.

@Tiger Refugeis going to swing through here on his way over (probably only 5-6 hours out of his way) then we’ll both be there . Because of the long drive we’ll have to stay for 5-7 days. I hope that there is some redfishing close by because I’m bringing my fly rods

• Love 2

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Salmon and bagged Ceasar salad is a go-to around here. Easy and delicious. Only problem is the kids don't like fish, so I have to come up with something for them. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fredst said:

@Tiger Refugeis going to swing through here on his way over (probably only 5-6 hours out of his way) then we’ll both be there . Because of the long drive we’ll have to stay for 5-7 days. I hope that there is some redfishing close by because I’m bringing my fly rods

Red snapper, black drum, triggerfish, wreckfish, golden tile, grouper, trout, flounder... those seem to be the big ones. 

I'm looking forward to y'all's 9 day stay.

• Love 2

10 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

One of my go-to quick meals is “Greek chicken”. 

2’ish lbs of fresh chicken tenderloins, cut into 1” cubes

2 Tablespoons Greek seasoning(see pic)

Olive oil- 2-4 tablespoons(preference is yours)

Juice of one lemon

Place cut up chicken in a bowl, add remaining ingredients and toss. Can be cooked immediately or allowed to marinate in the fridge for a bit.

Cook until done. I usually add a little EVOO to the skillet and then add chicken. I like to cook until it starts to fall apart/shred, so mine takes a little longer.

When it’s done-

redneck tzatziki- I grab one small, individual serving size of regular, unflavored Greek yogurt. I’ll scoop it out into a small bowl and add a couple 2-3 tablespoons of ranch dressing and a healthy sprinkling of dry dill. Mix.

I serve the chicken on small, flour street tacos. They are super close to the texture of pita bread and are a great serving size. I’ll add a dollop of the t sauce, chicken, and top with a few pieces of fresh spinach and maybe a little crumbled feta.

-ETA- Also serves well with pita chips. Kinda like Greek nachos.

From start to finish, meal can be ready in 15-20 minutes.

The Greek seasoning recipe will last me a while, but I always remake and keep it in a sandwich bag in my spice cabinet.

151D092C-DCCB-4B36-AB4A-9560D80AD7B1.jpeg

Cinnamon and nutmeg... That's where it goes over the top and that is what I have been missing from my Greek preparations. Hell yes.

• Love 1

8 hours ago, cbo said:

Salmon and bagged Ceasar salad is a go-to around here. Easy and delicious. Only problem is the kids don't like fish, so I have to come up with something for them. 

I've gotten pretty good with chicken tenders. I even tried rolling them in crushed frosted flakes but that did not go over as well as I expected. Frying is such work though.

17 hours ago, fredst said:

I’ll clutter my own topic and post another recipe here. This is a winter/comfort food recipe that, like the grouper recipe, comes from a fancy-pants place but is very easy and so good. We have cooked this many times as Christmas Eve dinner because it looks fancy, tastes delicious, and doesn’t require a lot of prep time right before serving. This is a nice counterpart to the warm weather recipe of earlier. If looking for a wine pairing, a nice hefty Cab or (red) Chateauneuf de Pape is just right:

Holy. Crap. My turkey sammich suddenly became extra meh.

On 9/22/2021 at 7:50 PM, fredst said:

Oh crap I'm glad @Tiger Refuge quoted this because I somehow missed it. YES, this is exactly the kind of thing that I'm looking for this fall. 

Six lbs of short rib? LOLOLOLOLOLOL **** yes let me at it

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh crap I'm glad @Tiger Refuge quoted this because I somehow missed it. YES, this is exactly the kind of thing that I'm looking for this fall. 

Six lbs of short rib? LOLOLOLOLOLOL **** yes let me at it

It is so delicious and easy to prep. My kids complain about them and claim they alter the taste but the celery root really does fluff up and lighten the mashed potatoes. It is the perfect meal for a brisk fall/winter evening 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, fredst said:

It is so delicious and easy to prep. My kids complain about them and claim they alter the taste but the celery root really does fluff up and lighten the mashed potatoes. It is the perfect meal for a brisk fall/winter evening 

Can imagine it does great as leftovers, too? 

Any of y’all gotten into the cauliflower craze? I make a killer cauliflower casserole that anyone will love. How did I not know about this thread? 

• Love 3

This is my favorite wing recipe. However, I add a step or two. Once the wings are done, I’ll remove them from the pan and reserve the leftover liquid.

Place the leftover liquid in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until reduced. You can add anything to it at this point if desired. I like to add a little Tabasco. Cover and set aside.

Pat the wings dry with a paper towel. Once they are mostly dry, fry in vegetable oil until crispy. Toss with reduced sauce. 

Eat.

202F02B3-DED5-42B0-BB39-810CD821D6D3.jpeg

• Love 1

On 9/22/2021 at 5:33 PM, McLoofus said:

Dude. I did this tonight. Freaking perfect meal. That marinade/baste was PERFECT.

I think I’ll try it on a pork loin. Or chops. Like, soon.

• Love 2

7 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Dude. I did this tonight. Freaking perfect meal. That marinade/baste was PERFECT.

I think I’ll try it on a pork loin. Or chops. Like, soon.

Awesome! It's so simple and easy and I bet it would be doooope on pork.

Glad you enjoyed!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 9/24/2021 at 6:01 PM, toddc said:

Any of y’all gotten into the cauliflower craze? I make a killer cauliflower casserole that anyone will love. How did I not know about this thread? 

My wife is doing keto so it's cauliflower all the time around here. I was never a fan but you throw enough cheese and whatever other good stuff in there and it's tasty stuff. 

• Like 1

I swear I'm going to try every recipe in this thread. @Tiger RefugeI love the idea for redneck tzatziki. I've tried to make tzatziki a couple times with cucumber and it was a mess. Greek food is great and pretty easy to make at home, but it's not the same without tzatziki. 

• Love 2