Open Club  ·  24 members

AU Foodies

What's for Dinner?

cbo

13 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Made my pizza tonight. This is the one that our local pizza joint is gonna use for a month as a fundraiser. I really can’t believe how amazing it turned out.

Base is olive oil/white bbq sauce, shredded mozzarella, shredded smoked Gouda, caramelized onions, chopped smoked brisket, sundried tomato. Finished hot out of the oven with grated parm. I did make one with candied jalapeños added and would be a great pizza if you like the spice.

3699024C-00C5-49B9-A28B-5DFF0B8C5C71.jpeg

98E0C8DC-E6A9-4AAC-98F1-4ACB4891D5DC.jpeg

MOTHER

OF

GOD

Congrats and sounds amazing, no lie. Daaaaaaamn.

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

And the day was great….

AF9BF515-AB2F-4E95-81AA-A9EE2C47D08C.jpeg

A9C0FE87-96A8-4490-8331-DC2285FF2D2B.jpeg

4E09049D-B699-452B-9263-3613C623673E.jpeg

E8D39547-F5D0-4F12-A9FD-2CAF9D3311B5.jpeg

:KJSDGPI UH QWP A$&(_*UJSADF:O nhjU+{OAFJILJAWSRF opHUI#_ YP#RH*JPEO#$#r+oe{ jop rfjopOI[

GUNS AND MOTHER ******* ROSES BRANDED WEST COAST IPA AND THE SOON TO BE FAMOUS SMOKEJUMPER PIZZA?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

Your life is better than mine. But I'm okay with that since it's you. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

:KJSDGPI UH QWP A$&(_*UJSADF:O nhjU+{OAFJILJAWSRF opHUI#_ YP#RH*JPEO#$#r+oe{ jop rfjopOI[

GUNS AND MOTHER ******* ROSES BRANDED WEST COAST IPA AND THE SOON TO BE FAMOUS SMOKEJUMPER PIZZA?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

Your life is better than mine. But I'm okay with that since it's you. 

Dude. That beer was AMAZING. 

Pizza was bomb. 

Making friends with really cool ass people? Also bomb.

• Love 2

On 10/22/2021 at 12:55 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

And the day was great….

AF9BF515-AB2F-4E95-81AA-A9EE2C47D08C.jpeg

A9C0FE87-96A8-4490-8331-DC2285FF2D2B.jpeg

4E09049D-B699-452B-9263-3613C623673E.jpeg

E8D39547-F5D0-4F12-A9FD-2CAF9D3311B5.jpeg

Holy hell, that G'n'R can could get me to drink an IPA!

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, cbo said:

Holy hell, that G'n'R can could get me to drink an IPA!

Bro, I'm for real mad at you. You reacted to my response and I had to come back here and be 50 shades of jealous all over again.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Bro, I'm for real mad at you. You reacted to my response and I had to come back here and be 50 shades of jealous all over again.

I’ll send you an IPA next time some dummy leaves one at my house. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, cbo said:

I’ll send you an IPA next time some dummy leaves one at my house. 

Now hold on just one got dang minute. That's just... 

...kinda awesome? 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, akillshot said:

Simple dinner tonight - coffee rubbed ribeye, grilled carrots, and caesar salad with housemade dressing. Nice 2011 Cali Cab with it

20211027_181035.jpg

Very, very nice.

I’ve not tried to grill carrots before, but it sounds interesting. One of my favorite grilled veggies is okra. 

Now I’m thinking about steak….

The grilled carrots actually came from a recipe that involved za'atar and a creamy lime sauce. It's pretty good but I found I liked the taste of the carrots with just the olive oil, salt, pepper without going to the trouble of the sauce. Also, full disclosure, had no potatoes of any type in the house and didn't want to go to the grocery store.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akillshot said:

The grilled carrots actually came from a recipe that involved za'atar and a creamy lime sauce. It's pretty good but I found I liked the taste of the carrots with just the olive oil, salt, pepper without going to the trouble of the sauce. Also, full disclosure, had no potatoes of any type in the house and didn't want to go to the grocery store.

That’s exactly how I do the grilled okra. Olive oil, kosher salt and pepper.

And I’m 100% down with avoiding a trip to the grocery store once the move to cook begins. 

*ETA- Full disclosure. I had to look up za’atar. In all the years I’ve eaten Mediterranean food, I can’t say that I remember having it. I feel like I’ve been cheated…

Edited by Tiger Refuge

12 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I’ve not tried to grill carrots before, but it sounds interesting. One of my favorite grilled veggies is okra. 

Nor have I, but it makes good sense.

Do you have to do anything to treat the okra to avoid the slime, or does the grill take care of that? Is that just a thing when you cook it in a gumbo?

@akillshot, great first meal to share in here! Mmm wine. Did you use anchovies/paste in the dressing?

We had a homemade bolognese over fresh pappardelle (store bought). The bolognese was traditional except I used a beef/pork sausage blend. Kids loved it but I needed a little more oomph. Maybe more white wine and aromatics. Or I might've put too many tomatoes in. 

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

@akillshot, great first meal to share in here! Mmm wine. Did you use anchovies/paste in the dressing?

Anchovy paste - Don't use anchovies routinely enough to do otherwise for the dressing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, akillshot said:

Anchovy paste - Don't use anchovies routinely enough to do otherwise for the dressing.

I really need to get into using anchovy paste more. So many sauces that could use that little kick without tasting too "fishy". I love using fish sauce in dishes that call for other SE Asian ingredients like lemongrass, cilantro, lime, chilis, etc. 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 7:20 AM, McLoofus said:

Nor have I, but it makes good sense.

Do you have to do anything to treat the okra to avoid the slime, or does the grill take care of that? Is that just a thing when you cook it in a gumbo?

We had a homemade bolognese over fresh pappardelle (store bought). The bolognese was traditional except I used a beef/pork sausage blend. Kids loved it but I needed a little more oomph. Maybe more white wine and aromatics. Or I might've put too many tomatoes in. 

Not slimy at all. Very nice texture after grilling. And it retains a great flavor from the grill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did a simple oven roasted chicken last night. It was amazing. Followed a very simple recipe from chef Jacques Pepin. 

One whole chicken, washed and seasoned inside and out with salt and pepper. Truss chicken.

Melt two tablespoons butter in an oven safe skillet on a stovetop. Lightly brown trussed and seasoned chicken on both wing/leg sides. 

Place in a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes on each side. To finish, place the chicken on its back and baste with the liquid in the pan every 5-10 minutes until done. 

I had a pretty large fryer chicken, and it took close tp and hour and a half total cooking time to reach an internal breast temp is 165.

F02F19BB-1C1E-4D60-8F90-9389CDB1B03C.jpeg

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Did a simple oven roasted chicken last night. It was amazing. Followed a very simple recipe from chef Jacques Pepin. 

One whole chicken, washed and seasoned inside and out with salt and pepper. Truss chicken.

Melt two tablespoons butter in an oven safe skillet on a stovetop. Lightly brown trussed and seasoned chicken on both wing/leg sides. 

Place in a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes on each side. To finish, place the chicken on its back and baste with the liquid in the pan every 5-10 minutes until done. 

I had a pretty large fryer chicken, and it took close tp and hour and a half total cooking time to reach an internal breast temp is 165.

Simple but I bet delicious….

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

That looks delicious. What did you season with, other than salt and pepper?

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 11:34 AM, McLoofus said:

I really need to get into using anchovy paste more. So many sauces that could use that little kick without tasting too "fishy". I love using fish sauce in dishes that call for other SE Asian ingredients like lemongrass, cilantro, lime, chilis, etc. 

I like it. Have used recently in Caesar dressing (obviously), a tomato sauce, and a soup. Stick a tube in your fridge and it will last a long while. 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 12:08 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

God bless you, Louisiana food truck, for providing such a great lunch opportunity.

E0F9AE7F-896C-4AF8-9B14-8F40AB48ECB9.jpeg

My God that looks perfect. 

• Love 1

48 minutes ago, cbo said:

That looks delicious. What did you season with, other than salt and pepper?

That’s it. Salt and pepper. 

As the chicken cooked in the pan, it created a nice bit of liquid for basting.

If you are on Facebook, look up Jacques Pépin. The video he posted on October 13 is the one I used…

Edited by Tiger Refuge

• Members Online