Open Club  ·  24 members

AU Foodies

What's for Dinner?

cbo

Good wintertime dinner tomight. Chicken and sausage gumbo for dinner using rotisserie chicken as a shortcut. My wife made banana pudding yesterday for dessert tonight. She likes for it to have time for the vanilla wafers to soften. It might have been her best one yet from the recipe she uses.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, akillshot said:

Good wintertime dinner tomight. Chicken and sausage gumbo for dinner using rotisserie chicken as a shortcut. My wife made banana pudding yesterday for dessert tonight. She likes for it to have time for the vanilla wafers to soften. It might have been her best one yet from the recipe she uses.

Dude. That sounds fantastic. My mom makes my absolute favorite banana pudding. Holy crap, I’m hungry now.

• 2 weeks later...

Not for dinner but cooked this on BGE and fed the office. 24 hour brine; Simon&Garfunkel rub (parsley/sage/rosemary/thyme). Pair with my homemade white sauce. Pretty darn tasty pre-Thanksgiving. 

8BACEF9A-4511-4002-B985-9AF8234149AD.jpeg

Edited by fredst
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

Man, not much activity in this thread. Anybody do anything good for the holidays? Did this for Christmas Eve- easy and absolutely delicious. Highly recommend:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/quick-recipe-for-seared-scallops-11639076926

Did a standing rib roast on the BGE Christmas Day with reverse sear. Also stellar. Anyone….?

Edited by fredst
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, fredst said:

Man, not much activity in this thread. Anybody do anything good for the holidays? Did this for Christmas Eve- easy and absolutely delicious. Highly recommend:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/quick-recipe-for-seared-scallops-11639076926

Did a standing rib roast on the BGE Christmas Day with reverse sear. Also stellar. Anyone….?

Was actually thinking about this, as we ate well over the weekend and I hoped others would be reporting on their own successes. I'm not a WSJ subscriber but I will definitely be googling "seared scallops with warm bacon vinaigrette". 

McWifey nailed a leg of lamb for dinner Saturday. The sides were buttered leeks (everybody needs to be making these more often), creamed kale (she did not nail this tbqh), and roasted green beans. (I did these and they were very good but they were waaaaay too simple and easy to brag about. The only way you can screw up is by getting bad green beans.) That's a lot of green sides but the leeks are very rich and soft like a starch. 

Other than that it was mostly prepared stuff from Fresh Market, but that was out of necessity more than laziness. We still spent tons of time dealing with the Christmas crush. I'm still a little shell shocked by how many gifts our kids received from extended family, and even though it was just my in-laws, having house guests from Thursday to yesterday morning added a lot more to our plate (no pun intended). 

• Like 1

Oh, some other notes:

-My M-I-L does a traditional plum pudding with hard sauce for Christmas. She doesn't actually make the pudding- you have to make it six months in advance!- but she orders one and then does this whole presentation where she pours Jack Daniels all over it, lights it on fire, and recites a poem. Then the pudding- like an extremely rich, moist, dense cake with nuts and fruits in it- is served with the hard sauce, which is a white icing with lots more Jack Daniels in it. It's an acquired taste but I love the tradition. My wife and her siblings hate it, lol.
-Their family also has a turkey neck tradition. "Turkey neck" is actually a small meatloaf that's highly seasoned and has breadcrumbs in it. Each household makes one and then there's a contest- whichever holiday that everyone gets together- to see whose is the best. They brought one down with them. So good.
-McWifey and I stayed up drinking White Russians after everyone else went to bed on Christmas Eve. Might be a new tradition. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, some other notes:

-My M-I-L does a traditional plum pudding with hard sauce for Christmas. She doesn't actually make the pudding- you have to make it six months in advance!- but she orders one and then does this whole presentation where she pours Jack Daniels all over it, lights it on fire, and recites a poem. Then the pudding- like an extremely rich, moist, dense cake with nuts and fruits in it- is served with the hard sauce, which is a white icing with lots more Jack Daniels in it. It's an acquired taste but I love the tradition. My wife and her siblings hate it, lol.
-Their family also has a turkey neck tradition. "Turkey neck" is actually a small meatloaf that's highly seasoned and has breadcrumbs in it. Each household makes one and then there's a contest- whichever holiday that everyone gets together- to see whose is the best. They brought one down with them. So good.
-McWifey and I stayed up drinking White Russians after everyone else went to bed on Christmas Eve. Might be a new tradition. 

Nice. I love  good Christmas food traditions. My wife makes an Italian cream cake that is delicious and seemed particularly delicious this year. Attached is the scallops recipe, despite possible copyright infringement 

45FA262A-48C8-4A7B-8E88-4A58A04CE916.jpeg

6AE68C20-628E-4DD1-A165-0203284409A6.jpeg

018C589E-2BA3-44A5-B8C7-1142E8E8BAF8.jpeg

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, fredst said:

Nice. I love  good Christmas food traditions. My wife makes an Italian cream cake that is delicious and seemed particularly delicious this year. Attached is the scallops recipe, despite possible copyright infringement 

45FA262A-48C8-4A7B-8E88-4A58A04CE916.jpeg

6AE68C20-628E-4DD1-A165-0203284409A6.jpeg

018C589E-2BA3-44A5-B8C7-1142E8E8BAF8.jpeg

I'll make sure my white truffle isn't from Alba. Grazie mille!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I'll make sure my white truffle isn't from Alba. Grazie mille!

Lol. We skipped the truffle step and it was still quite delicious. We paired with roasted asparagus and a mushroom soup(will submit that recipe later)

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

Lol. We skipped the truffle step and it was still quite delicious. We paired with roasted asparagus and a mushroom soup(will submit that recipe later)

Okay, that makes good sense. I like to do scallops over a white bean puree but that wouldn't make sense with the maple syrup, lol. If we have some of that truffle infused olive oil laying around then I might do a dash of it. 

• Like 1

We kept it simple this year. I did bacon wrapped shrimp on the grill for Christmas Eve. Christmas Day was ham and bean soup(used 2 cups of chopped Boston butt from a few weeks ago…amazingly good) along with some store bought spiral ham. Also did a corn and crab chowder. 

FC13E768-9514-4F3F-9D29-99119A645AF3.jpeg

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

We kept it simple this year. I did bacon wrapped shrimp on the grill for Christmas Eve. Christmas Day was ham and bean soup(used 2 cups of chopped Boston butt from a few weeks ago…amazingly good) along with some store bought spiral ham. Also did a corn and crab chowder. 

FC13E768-9514-4F3F-9D29-99119A645AF3.jpeg

That's "keeping it simple", huh? Sweet jeebidy jeebus. 

You reminded me, I need to make some turkey noodle soup with some leftovers.

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's "keeping it simple", huh? Sweet jeebidy jeebus. 

You reminded me, I need to make some turkey noodle soup with some leftovers.

That is THE best thing about cooking a turkey. The leftovers. Man, I ate on leftover turkey from thanksgiving for over a week

I guess by simple I meant that we didn’t do a usual, full course sit down dinner. Soups, bowls, apps, desserts, beers, etc.

I run a very loose ship.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 12/26/2021 at 8:31 PM, fredst said:

Man, not much activity in this thread. Anybody do anything good for the holidays?

Didn't do any holiday cooking this year. We took a completely different approach this year since it was the year for our daughter with grandchildren to be with her in-laws. We took the younger two daughters on a holiday cruise from 23rd-30th. Good time

• Like 2

Made this for lunch today and it was very good. Probably 30 minutes max. If you have ever had the gambas a ajillo in Spain, this is a reminder of how good that dish is. Crusty French bread and a nice French white accompanied the dish.

Garlicky Sautéed Shrimp with Creamy White Beans and Blistered Tomatoes

This 20-minute dish, inspired by the Spanish tapas dish gambas a ajillo, makes for a flavorful weeknight dinner with very little effort. It's packed with garlicky shrimp, blistered tomatoes, and creamy white beans.

YieldServes 4

Prep time 10 minutes

Cook time 10 minutes

Ingredients

• 5 large cloves garlic, divided
  • 1 medium lime
  • 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves or cilantro and fine stems
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, divided
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
  • 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
  • 1 pound medium peeled and deveined uncooked shrimp
  • 1 pint grape tomatoes (about 10 ounces)
  • 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini or white beans
  • Crusty bread, for serving (optional)

Instructions

1. Grate or mince 4 of the large garlic cloves into a large bowl. Thinly slice the remaining 1 large garlic clove and set aside. Finely grate the zest of 1 medium lime into the bowl, then cut the lime in half and set aside. Coarsely chop 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves and tender stems. Place half in the bowl and reserve the remaining half.

2. Add 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon of the red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil to the bowl. Stir to combine. Add 1 pound peeled and deveined uncooked shrimp and toss to coat. Let the shrimp marinate 10 to 15 minutes at room temperature. (Alternatively, cover and refrigerate this, the sliced garlic clove, lime halves, and reserved parsley overnight.)

3. Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in a 12-inch cast iron or heavy-weight skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add 1 pint grape tomatoes, then season with kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the skins start to pop, about 2 minutes. Meanwhile, drain and rinse 1 can cannellini beans.

4. Add the shrimp and marinade, stir to combine, and cook until the shrimp start to turn pink, about 1 minute. Add the beans and sliced garlic and cook, stirring every minute or so, until the shrimp are just cooked through and the tomatoes have burst open, 3 to 4 minutes total (the beans might start to become a creamy paste, which is okay and delicious).

5. Remove from the heat. Season with kosher salt and squeeze the lime halves over the shrimp. Drizzle with more olive oil, garnish with the reserved parsley, and serve immediately with crusty bread if desired.

Recipe Notes

Make ahead: The shrimp can be marinated, covered, and refrigerated overnight.

Serving: If you're serving this dish in a cast-iron pan, which retains heat very well, make sure to eat it immediately as the residual heat in the pan will keep cooking the shrimp. If you need more time, transfer the contents to a serving bowl. 

Storage: Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 2 days.

Article and recipe link:

https://www.thekitchn.com/garlicky-sauteed-shrimp-white-beans-tomatoes-recipe-23099346?

Edited by akillshot
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, akillshot said:

Made this for lunch today and it was very good. Probably 30 minutes max. If you have ever had the gambas a ajillo in Spain, this is a reminder of how good that dish is. Crusty French bread and a nice French white accompanied the dish.

This 20-minute dish, inspired by the Spanish tapas dish gambas a ajillo, makes for a flavorful weeknight dinner with very little effort. It's packed with garlicky shrimp, blistered tomatoes, and creamy white beans.

YieldServes 4

Prep time 10 minutes

Cook time 10 minutes

Ingredients

• 1 medium lime
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika

Instructions

1. Grate or mince 4 of the large garlic cloves into a large bowl. Thinly slice the remaining 1 large garlic clove and set aside. Finely grate the zest of 1 medium lime into the bowl, then cut the lime in half and set aside. Coarsely chop 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves and tender stems. Place half in the bowl and reserve the remaining half.

2. Add 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon of the red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil to the bowl. Stir to combine. Add 1 pound peeled and deveined uncooked shrimp and toss to coat. Let the shrimp marinate 10 to 15 minutes at room temperature. (Alternatively, cover and refrigerate this, the sliced garlic clove, lime halves, and reserved parsley overnight.)

3. Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in a 12-inch cast iron or heavy-weight skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add 1 pint grape tomatoes, then season with kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the skins start to pop, about 2 minutes. Meanwhile, drain and rinse 1 can cannellini beans.

4. Add the shrimp and marinade, stir to combine, and cook until the shrimp start to turn pink, about 1 minute. Add the beans and sliced garlic and cook, stirring every minute or so, until the shrimp are just cooked through and the tomatoes have burst open, 3 to 4 minutes total (the beans might start to become a creamy paste, which is okay and delicious).

5. Remove from the heat. Season with kosher salt and squeeze the lime halves over the shrimp. Drizzle with more olive oil, garnish with the reserved parsley, and serve immediately with crusty bread if desired.

Recipe Notes

Serving: If you're serving this dish in a cast-iron pan, which retains heat very well, make sure to eat it immediately as the residual heat in the pan will keep cooking the shrimp. If you need more time, transfer the contents to a serving bowl. 

Article and recipe link:

https://www.thekitchn.com/garlicky-sauteed-shrimp-white-beans-tomatoes-recipe-23099346?

Man, this sounds delicious and simple. Thanks for sharing

18 hours ago, akillshot said:

YieldServes 4

Prep time 10 minutes

Cook time 10 minutes

Ingredients

• 1 medium lime
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika

Instructions

Recipe Notes

Article and recipe link:

This is sooooooo up my alley. I'd also be tempted to finely dice up some Spanish chorizo to crisp in the oil before adding the tomatoes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Welp. McWifey signed us up for Hello Fresh on a promotional deal. And I gotta say, it's pretty great so far. First night was smokey barimundi with smashed potatoes and broccoli. Second night was pork chops with a rosemary balsamic sauce, green beans and garlic bread. Tonight is some sort of curry dish. The level of effort is just such that you feel like you're cooking a real meal. You actually cook the food and I even had to chop rosemary last night. But the amount of prep work is less and it seems like they put thought into minimizing the mess. (Only one or two pans needed, etc.) And the food is really damned good, or at least the two meals so far were.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Happy Fat Tuesday, fam.

We had simplified BBQ shrimp, fried oysters and red beans and rice. Abita Andygators with dinner and I'm about to make some Sazeracs. The BBQ shrimp recipe is a serviceable weeknight version of the real deal NOLA style. Definitely reduce the sauce after and pour over before garnishing with the green onion. 

If anyone doesn't know how to revive a day old baguette, just run it under a spigot real quick- coat it don't soak it- and then pop it into a 450 degree oven for 5-7 minutes.

Alright, time to fix the cocktails.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 7:20 PM, McLoofus said:

If anyone doesn't know how to revive a day old baguette, just run it under a spigot real quick- coat it don't soak it- and then pop it into a 450 degree oven for 5-7 minutes.

I did not know this. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 5:41 PM, fredst said:
On 3/1/2022 at 7:20 PM, McLoofus said:

I did not know this. Thanks!

Forgot to ask….is this covered or uncovered?