Harsin!

cbo

I'm just glad we're getting back into crock pot season. Cooking on ours in the summer can be a drag. 

My wife make excellent soups and such with it. 

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

My experience has been quite the opposite. In fact, you're the first person I've ever heard say this. A good friend of mine who grills or smokes meat every weekend just recently sold his BGE after getting a Rec-Tec.

Some reasons folks go away from pellet grills - now mind you, I do still use mine every now and again, so I don't hate them by any means:

1. It is rare, but some people have digestive sensitivities to the pellet dust that most if not all pellet cookers deposit on meat. 

2. Most pellet cookers need very regular cleanings, especially of the pellet dust down in the smoker. If not cleaned, there are plenty of vids running around the internet of the pretty nasty fires that can result. You can clean a ceramic, if you ever decide to do so, by just leaving the vents open after a cook and letting it burn at 700 for a while. I used to have a dedicated ShopVac for my pellet when I used it regularly. No need for that with a ceramic. 

3. Pellets tend to break down and turn to dust if you don't use it regularly enough, which will cause feeding issues. 

4. Some brands, particularly newer Traegers, are prone to flameouts at inopportune times, like in the middle of the night on a long cook. I guess if you have a phone app to wake you that's not as catastrophic as it used to be when you woke up to ruined meat. 

5. On mine, which is an older US-made Traeger, the drip pan needs to be covered in AL foil for each cook. This was a pain to do. 

6. No worries if the power goes out on cooking. You'll have to pay attention to your temp management for a few mins, but once you have that set, you're good again on a ceramic. 

7. Some brands have had trouble with their electronic controllers. If my BBQ Guru dies, I can still keep cooking. 

I am not a pellet hater by any means, and I wouldn't mind replacing my Traeger with one of the higher end pellet grills with newer technology, but I also see the drawbacks in cleaning and other aspects of the pellet grills. Add to that the ceramic versatility for searing, grilling, etc, and IMO if you can only have one, ceramic is the way to go. OTOH, I won't object if anyone with an electric of any stripe wants me to sample their cooking! 😁

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

@McLoofus @Barnacle @TigerHorn you boys and ur toys. Nothing beats a REAL smoker. 

I made this a few yrs ago.  May look rough but grill area on right with 3 drawer smoker on left.  I have smoked 12 full racks at 1 time.  The right side is also large enough to grill for small army. 

I actually just smoked 5 racks of baby backs this weekend for the game.  It is tough to get things going, but when you do, things work great.  It takes a little baby sitting and effort but is well worth it.  Have entered a few competitions and they always win due to the unbeatable smoke ring!

Message_1499196235507.jpg

20170501_183808.jpg

🤤

19 hours ago, bigbird said:

You really think that?

He isn't an idiot.  If he isn't and doesn't rectify that, he will need to claim a cult exemption.  That isn't protected medical information.  So, yes.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I mean, starting the thing and controlling it with a phone app... no brainer. Never mind folks switching away from their BGEs. I've heard of folks not even using their ovens anymore. 

Starting the Egg is a no brainer. Allows you to sit outside and have 2 beers in peace and quiet while the wife thinks you are working hard to get cook temperature stabilized.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i have an old school recipe i bet most of you have not heard of but it invilves a crock pot instead of a grill. take hot dog weenies and cut them up into thirds. toothpick a small piece of bacon around each piece. throw in the crock pot and cover with brown sugar and slow cook until the brown sugar melts. i am telling you guys they are wonderful and extremely addicting. cheap dogs are great but avoid the ones with the red dye.

Fiddy, may sound but snarky but not many things that aren’t good with bacon wrapped around it and melted brown sugar on it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Classic AUFAMILY.

I come into this thread to get quotes about CBH and instead I am getting pro tips about grilling [ YELLOW FONT]

- Casual poster, who visits every 2 months. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

He isn't an idiot.  If he isn't and doesn't rectify that, he will need to claim a cult exemption.  That isn't protected medical information.  So, yes.

You're right, It could be one or the other. Either way the only person that needs to know is HR.  There is zero logical reason to think any fan will KNOW which it is and FTR, there's absolutely no reason for the fans to know.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Starting the Egg is a no brainer. Allows you to sit outside and have 2 beers in peace and quiet while the wife thinks you are working hard to get cook temperature stabilized.

Dude you can’t be posting this knowledge on the internet 

• Haha 4

I've been trying to decide between a gravity feed charcoal grill with electric temp control vs a pellet grill or an electric box smoker. Anybody using a Masterbuilt gravity series or similar for long slow cooks?

24 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

I've been trying to decide between a gravity feed charcoal grill with electric temp control vs a pellet grill or an electric box smoker. Anybody using a Masterbuilt gravity series or similar for long slow cooks?

My Masterbuilt electric with pullout side chips canister is awesome 😎 Even has Bluetooth 

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

You're having fun??????? really 

We were until the fun police came in to put a stop to it. Not naming names but….. Maybe I’ll just go fire up my BGE so I can cook a burger in honor of Powell Gordon and ponder the virtues of longsnappers cross-training at OT

• Haha 1

Despite its idiosyncrasies, the BGE encourages you to cook and experiment. It will sear a wonderful steak (1.5 to 2 inches) in 7 to 9 minutes. Incredible fun to have a few drinks(or more) on a longer day cook…eat then go to bed!
The real beauty with ceramic is clean up. I’ll run it up to 600 degrees and burn the remaining charcoal. Amazing how most everything burns off.

• Love 2

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

You're right, It could be one or the other. Either way the only person that needs to know is HR.  There is zero logical reason to think any fan will KNOW which it is and FTR, there's absolutely no reason for the fans to know.

It’s an obsession with this guy. His entire life on this forum revolves around finding some way to repeatedly bash this coach.  Like clockwork, the media burps, and this guy takes the ball and runs with it. I hope al.com is paying him for his work on here.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

There are a lot of things that fall into the category of being nobody else's business.  The point is that when you accept a high profile position, you also accept the fact that you will be expected to discuss some of those things nonetheless.   You accept that your choices, although they are private, are often seen as a reflection of those you represent.  There is an expectation that you will use the pulpit you are afforded to lead in a positive way.  That is why Saban, Smart, Kiffin  etc do PSAs encouraging people to get vaccinated.  Nobody forced them to do those.  It isn't in their contract, yet they feel obligated to make a positive impact and take the opportunity to lead.  That is why this is disappointing.

Like I have said over and over, I like Harsin.  That doesn't mean that I won't use my voice to point out when I believe he makes a misstep, especially an unforced error like this has been.

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 5
  • Dislike 10