Jimmy Brumbough: Hired as New Dlinemen Coach

toddc

Auburn expected to hire Jimmy Brumbaugh as new D-line coach

ByJASON CALDWELL 14 minutes ago

Bryan Harsin is expected to hire Auburn alum and longtime defensive assistant Jimmy Brumbaugh as the program's next defensive line coach, sources told 247Sports on Friday morning.

Nick Eason left the position vacant after just one year at Auburn, taking an assistant job under Dabo Swinney at Clemson, his alma mater, earlier this month. 

Brumbaugh, who had 15 sacks during an All-SEC Auburn career in the late '90s, spent last season as an analyst on Oregon's staff, after he was the defensive line coach at Tennessee in 2020. He was let go by head coach Jeremy Pruitt midway through the year.

After serving as LSU's strength coach during its 2008 national championship season, Brumbaugh has made six FBS stops as a defensive line coach, most notably at Kentucky. With the Wilcats from 2013-16, Brumbaugh developed three future NFL Draft picks. He mentored Bud Dupree for two seasons as the future Pittsburgh Steeler earned All-SEC honors in 2013 and 2014, while finishing in the league’s top 10 in sacks both seasons.

Dupree was a first-round selection by the Pittsburgh Steelers, going No. 22 overall in 2015. Za'Darius Smith, who Brumbaugh coached in junior college and at UK, was chosen in the fourth round by the Baltimore Ravens. Smith was named to the 2020 Pro Bowl after leading the Green Bay Packers with 13.5 sacks. Overall, four defensive linemen earned All-SEC honors during his tenure with the Wildcats.

Brumbaugh was part of a coaching staff that turned the Wildcat program around. Kentucky reached its first bowl game in six years in Brumbaugh’s final year with an appearance in the 2016 TaxSlayer Bowl.

10COMMENTS

Auburn Undercover's Phillip Dukes contributed to this report.

More to come..

1COMMENTS

Auburn Undercover's Phillip Dukes contributed to this report.

More to come..

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Silver lining....he knows Auburn and the SEC. Maybe he picked up some good traits from Mario. 

• Like 2

• toddc changed the title to Jimmy Brumbough: Hired as New Dlinemen Coach
1 minute ago, Sizzle said:

What’s his recruiting/development look like?

Added some info to OP

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

What’s his recruiting/development look like?

Pretty sure most schools are glad he's not their coach anymore.  Fans can be stupid, so I guess we'll see how this plays out

Edited by W.E.D

While at Kentucky, he helped develop future NFL defensive linemen Za’Darius Smith and Bud Dupree.

I hope he has the fire in his belly to go out and relate to high school kids. There's a lot of unknown here other than he's never been in one place for long. 

Fairly underwhelming hire. Nothing against him, loved watching play, but with so many kids on the DL leaving and Mason going, was hoping for a smash hire. 

• Like 3

Did we hire the best DL coach we could or the Best DL coach that has heavy Auburn ties?

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Did we hire the best DL coach we could or the Best DL coach that has heavy Auburn ties?

The Auburn didn't hurt but I feel a little bit like we struck out on our top picks. Auburn is a mess right now. Jimmy may end up being what we need (someone who is invested in Auburn more than just a paycheck). 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, woodford said:

Hope he's obsessed with recruiting

Someone has to pick up the slack on defense.  ZE can't do it all himself.  We'll miss Mason.  Eason seemed to do a really good job.  Schemd hasn't done too much.  Watts is a black hole.

We'll be making one more hire on defense, right?  Anyone know what position?

Edited by W.E.D

This time next year we will prob. be talking about the new Head Coach if things continue to trend the way they are.......

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

The Auburn didn't hurt but I feel a little bit like we struck out on our top picks

Agreed..should also add not overwhelmed with the hire love watching him play but not sold on his recruiting. But who the hell knows he may be just what we need.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

While at Kentucky, he helped develop future NFL defensive linemen Za’Darius Smith and Bud Dupree.

I hope he has the fire in his belly to go out and relate to high school kids. There's a lot of unknown here other than he's never been in one place for long. 

I'll try to go with the glass half full approach: Apparently, he is impressive in interviews. wde

5 minutes ago, AU North said:

I'll try to go with the glass half full approach: Apparently, he is impressive in interviews. wde

I’m with you 👍

But the board is in a glass half empty kind of mood😂

The defensive staff looks weaker across the board especially in recruiting. And they were the ones holding this thing together.

29 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Silver lining....he knows Auburn and the SEC. Maybe he picked up some good traits from Mario. 

Cloudy skies in my opinion because Auburn is literally Tennessee on both lines.  🤢

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

I’m with you 👍

But the board is in a glass half empty kind of mood😂

Always.

• Like 1