Jimmy Brumbough: Hired as New Dlinemen Coach

toddc

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

As the NCAA ruling stands now, we have two "use 'em or lose 'em" slots left under the 2022 annual limit. (We had seven special transfer slots, have filled five so far). There are also five normal slots remaining that can be used for transfers, highschool/JUCO guys or simply held over for early enrolees in the '23 class. So there are seven that can be filled this cycle if that many can be enticed to come to AU.

When it comes to knowing how many slots we have left. Even though I disagree with him on O-line (LOL).  I trust him implicitly when it comes to slots available. He has proven to be right on this for many years.

1 hour ago, au302 said:

Forgot about Langlo, he should be a good one. I got Irvin/Stutts/Jernigan/Johnson in my "bonus" category. Not banking on them to ever start, but would be pleasant surprises if they do. I'm glad they were finally making some noise this spring

I like Jernigan and Johnson. They both have the attitude you want on OL. I think Jernigan will be our future Center

• Like 3

17 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Because that part wasn't important. The important part, with regards to my post, is that Eason was a desired commodity. 

Again, my post wasn't about Harsin's ability to retain his staff. It was the opposite. It was about how desirable his staff was to other coaches. Eason was. Friend... eh...

Sorry I misunderstood, I am in total agreement with you, just misunderstood what you were saying!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, provibe said:

Sorry I misunderstood, I am in total agreement with you, just misunderstood what you were saying!

Apologies if I was defensive. I often am.

12 hours ago, au302 said:

Thanks. It all confuses the heck outta me. I've seen people say that we have as little as 4 spots left and as many as 10. Off the top of my head I got 9 major needs, mainly at EDGE (2), WR (2), OL (2), DL (1), S (1), and either 1 MLB or RB. Tough decisions will have to be made. But that's why they're paid the big bucks 

While we have seven slots, it's questionable if we can get seven guys who are quality enough to help the program at this late date. Maybe we can, but if I had to put money down I'd bet some of those seven slots are used for early enrolees in the class of '23. With up to five carryovers, we could sign as many as 30 in the '23 class. I don't think that's desirable, we need help now but I'm not sure the help we need is going to be available.

Edited by Mikey

21 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

When it comes to knowing how many slots we have left. Even though I disagree with him on O-line (LOL).  I trust him implicitly when it comes to slots available. He has proven to be right on this for many years.

I've spent the time and effort to keep up with this aspect of recruiting over the years. I will say this: With all the knee-jerk reactions and sudden changes by the NCAA over the past two to three years, it's become much more difficult. Any day, the NCAA could change something. A recent example would be the "add up to seven extra transfers" ruling. Nobody saw that coming and it changed the entire picture.

Right now, under the current rules, I'm confident that AU has seven slots left under the annual limit and two of those would have to be transfers. The NCAA could change this in a heartbeat. I've been wondering if keeping up with this is even worth the effort any more. Just checking the roster in the first game program of the season is pretty simple. :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

I've spent the time and effort to keep up with this aspect of recruiting over the years. I will say this: With all the knee-jerk reactions and sudden changes by the NCAA over the past two to three years, it's become much more difficult. Any day, the NCAA could change something. A recent example would be the "add up to seven extra transfers" ruling. Nobody saw that coming and it changed the entire picture.

Right now, under the current rules, I'm confident that AU has seven slots left under the annual limit and two of those would have to be transfers. The NCAA could change this in a heartbeat. I've been wondering if keeping up with this is even worth the effort any more. Just checking the roster in the first game program of the season is pretty simple. :)

But then we would have nothing to discuss.

On 4/24/2022 at 8:49 AM, Mikey said:

Please keep doing this as it helps us understand where we are at during the recruiting cycle. I give you a rough time on the O-line as we totally disagree there but years ago I was one of your staunches supporters when every other post of yours was we need more and better LB's.  By far especially since E is not a regular Poster on the football side anymore you have the best information on how many scholarships we have and the different way we can utilize those scholarships.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Please keep doing this as it helps us understand where we are at during the recruiting cycle. I give you a rough time on the O-line as we totally disagree there but years ago I was one of your staunches supporters when every other post of yours was we need more and better LB's.  By far especially since E is not a regular Poster on the football side anymore you have the best information on how many scholarships we have and the different way we can utilize those scholarships.

I appreciate the kudos. I'm going to continue to keep up as best I can, at least until the NCAA makes me crazy.

• Like 1