Poll: Where are we right now?

DyeCampAlum

I guess my main question is where is the Auburn equivalent to Bama’s REC. Why is everyone not doing everything to help him right the ship? Maybe they are and he is refusing their help? Where were all the Auburn money men getting NIL deals to get Olinemen in here. We could have bought quite a few players in the off-season but chose not to. Why?

Edited by wcware

8 minutes ago, wcware said:

Did they hand him the keys and then offer their support or did they hand him the keys and then leave town?

I'm not sure what support you're talking about.

He had complete freedom and financial backing to hire his staff and operate the football program as he saw fit. He was able to beef up off-field staff to assist in recruiting. He has as much access to the university jet as any coach would. We've got on good authority that the folks who make things happen in recruiting- the things that don't get talked about out loud- have still been fighting the good fight. Harsin has not always accepted their help. 

And that's the recurring theme. It doesn't matter what "support" they can offer. Harsin, by all accounts, doesn't want it. 

He's got everything he needs to succeed. What we have is what he has decided for it to be. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wcware said:

I guess my main question is where is the Auburn equivalent to Bama’s REC. Why is everyone not doing everything to help him right the ship? Maybe they are and he is refusing their help? Where were all the Auburn money men getting NIL deals to get Olinemen in here. We could have bought quite a few players in the off-season but chose not to. Why?

One small note- there was a delay in NIL getting up and going because McGlynn in Compliance held it up. Or so we're told. 

People are helping. 

I know we want to blame JABA but nothing that's going on is JABA. Basketball is Pearl and football is Harsin. One has turned a bad thing into a good thing and the other hasn't. Maybe he still can. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

He had complete freedom and financial backing to hire his staff and operate the football program as he saw fit. He was able to beef up off-field staff to assist in recruiting. He has as much access to the university jet as any coach would. We've got on good authority that the folks who make things happen in recruiting- the things that don't get talked about out loud- have still been fighting the good fight. Harsin has not always accepted their help. 

And that's the recurring theme. It doesn't matter what "support" they can offer. Harsin, by all accounts, doesn't want it. 

He's got everything he needs to succeed. What we have is what he has decided for it to be. 

That’s what I was asking. It sounds like to me that they don’t like the way Harsin treats them. He is an ahole. That will be a huge hurdle for him. In today’s world schools are buying players. Harsin can’t buy those players himself. The people that can, don’t like him because he is a Richard. The lesson for today is don’t be a Richard.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wcware said:

That’s what I was asking. It sounds like to me that they don’t like the way Harsin treats them. He is an ahole. That will be a huge hurdle for him. In today’s world schools are buying players. Harsin can’t buy those players himself. The people that can, don’t like him because he is a Richard. The lesson for today is don’t be a Richard.

I think that more or less sums it up. Except that there are folks out there still doing that work, because they support Auburn even if they don't believe in every individual employee. One of them posts here and has said as much recently, which is the only reason I'm saying it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think that more or less sums it up. Except that there are folks out there still doing that work, because they support Auburn even if they don't believe in every individual employee. One of them posts here and has said as much recently, which is the only reason I'm saying it. 

I really think he underestimated the value of shaking hands and kissing babies when he took this job. You can’t do it on your own, not at a place like Auburn. If lines in the sand have been drawn between the people mentioned and Harsin, just cut the cord now and hire Rhett Lashlee. I’m sure he will not make fun of them and might even take selfies with them and stuff. I’m sorry I’m just being a Richard now. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, wcware said:

I really think he underestimated the value of shaking hands and kissing babies when he took this job. You can’t do it on your own, not at a place like Auburn. If lines in the sand have been drawn between the people mentioned and Harsin, just cut the cord now and hire Rhett Lashlee. I’m sure he will not make fun of them and might even take selfies with them and stuff. I’m sorry I’m just being a Richard now. 

I heard a group of moms started getting together somewhere out in a field at night or something and just screaming together. Like, standing in a circle and just rage screaming. It's a type of therapy they came up with to let out their frustrations about being mothers in 2022.

I think maybe that's what we're doing here these days. I support you, Richard Ware. 

• Thanks 1

I’m about a 1.5. I hold out some slight hope that Harsin knows what he’s doing as far as weeding out the weak and developing a winner’s mentality. I just haven’t seen any indication that he can build anything up. I only see that he can tear down. 

• Like 1

2.5 Deeply concerned. I am beginning to wonder if there is anyway to recover quickly from the Davis and Mason departures. Regardless of how we feel, the image portrayed to the college football world and more specifically, the college coaching world, is that Auburn is not stable and the turnover in coaching positions is a large red flag. I am not saying there are major issues to address, only that it is not a good look.

• Like 2

2  We have the longest losing streak in 71 years, a losing season, no offensive coordinator in place on signing day, and little or no help on the way for the O-line.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Frankly, I'm more concerned about recruiting than I am the coaching staff.  Auburn's on a 3 yr decline in the talent department, the class 3 yrs ago has almost vanished, last yr's class was a salvage job from the former staff, and this yrs class is nowhere near our main rivals rankings. 

The talent gap widened yesterday and I don't believe CBH will get any enough time or patience from the AU Admin & fanbase to build the roster he will need to consistently compete in this league. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3.5 and falling. I'm getting my power bands charged up and ready. My question to him is this.

Were his coaches/mentors (Allen, Nut, Koetter, Hawkins, and Peterson) this tough to coach and play for?

THAT'S the question he needs to look in the mirror and ask himself.

5 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

1.5. If he hires a dud OC, I’ll probably be at a 1. We have a couple more players leave and I’ll just give up and try to distance myself from it so it doesn’t depress me.

The most alarming thing about the situation is that our administration is just sitting back and watching this all happen. Someone needs to address this and take action. I don’t know what the action is, but they gotta do something to stop the bleeding.

Agreed, but Auburns problem has generally been the PTB giving not only their money, but their unneeded opinions at how to run a successful program. We all know CFB is the lifeline for D1 schools and their budgets to help out in other sports, but this school has become an NFL version of Dallas, with all the money guys meddling into how to run a program. Obviously, I have ZERO knowledge about anything pertaining to that, but it is VERY well known the trustees at AU are too involved versus other successful programs. Maybe Harsin truly does have a great plan on how to change the culture within the program, but so far, it appears to be a disaster on the surface. I for one, thought we needed a change. I was not against the hire, but was always skeptical about a Midwest guy coming to the SEC and whether or not a vision from a less stressful environment would work in the toughest division of the toughest conference in college football. As pessimistic as I currently am, I will always be a fan, but I also question, does his vision truly fit in with a program in the SEC and if so, how low will we have to sink to get there and how many years will it take? I mean GM was an 8 win coach and in the SEC at AU, that’s just not enough. Just my thoughts. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Good point. Like I stated in an earlier post, if the money that be is staying out of things, which in the last 30 years at AU is not the case, then why on earth is this Midwest guy from a Midwest school coming into a relatively successful program in the SEC, which he knows nothing about and tearing it all the way down? If he does have more freedom than past coaches, why is that? Because he won some games at Boise St? Maybe he is brilliant or maybe he’s no better than a mid tier conference coach, but he is not showing or convincing many so far to buy into his vision. I mean, he’s basically hiring he’s former coaching staff from a team in the Midwest that only dreamed of competing at the highest level. I hope the PTB is staying out of his way, but until he proves it on the field with wins, it’s a moot point. I mean, why is anymore special than the last few coaches we have had? So far I just don’t see it, but if he manages 8 wins or more this year, chances are AU rewards him with a higher buyout and 2 more years. Personally, I don’t think he can recruit to the level that will be needed in the conference to even stay relevant. Most sights have us at 8 in conference recruiting and about 18 nationally. If that’s only good for 8th best in the SEC, then that’s a fail. I truly believe SC beats us worse this year as well as a few other teams. We needed real portal help, not true freshman at this moment. All that said, I hope he does very well as I always do with AU, but until I see results on the field, it’s all just a lot of promise, which is just HC speak anywhere. Here’s to hoping his first year tear down results in a better looking product in year 2. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I heard a group of moms started getting together somewhere out in a field at night or something and just screaming together. Like, standing in a circle and just rage screaming. It's a type of therapy they came up with to let out their frustrations about being mothers in 2022.

I think maybe that's what we're doing here these days. I support you, Richard Ware. 

I just need to know are they wearing hats that resemble female hoohaa’s?

• Haha 1

Everyday brings more bad news for AU Football either losing or firing coaches. more players transferring in the portal and few coming to AU in the transfer portal especially O linemen.  Now with scoring a ZERO on National Signing Day things don't look any better. Harsin had better start turning this program around quickly, but he doesn't seem to concerned enough to comment or layout his plan to change this downward spiral of bad news to Auburn supporters.  1.5

6 hours ago, wcware said:

I have yet to see any proof or even anecdotes that say lack of money is a problem. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I have yet to see any proof or even anecdotes that say lack of money is a problem. 

I would think it would go without saying, if they don’t like Harsin then they are less willing to fork over the cash for lucrative NIL deal for players. If it was my money I wouldn’t give it to support somebody who made fun of me and was mean to me.