Harsin Drama Megathread

TitanTiger

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

Titan do u have a timeline on when we know something one way or the other?

Not yet.  Jay Tate had a live stream video thing last night (since deleted because some idiots in the comments making trouble) and he suggested  that if it's happening, it's going down very soon (as in the next 1-3 days).  But I don't think anyone knows for sure.

Really hope this move to get rid of Harsin is not true. As down as I am on our direction at the moment. I really don’t see how we pull a decent option as coach right now. It’ll either be a guy who doesn’t have a job or a coordinator with no experience. I think staying course and making a move next season is the way to go. 

• Like 5

There are 2 possible endings in my opinion:

1. CBH did something really terrible that is tangible and can be proven and he will be fired.

2. Jetgate part 2 is happening and we will again look ridiculous and our program will be very damaged. 

Both of these are equally sad chapters for our program. The difference is in case 1, we can find a coach to come in and start fixing things. If it is #2, or perceived to be #2, good luck finding a high caliber coach to come to AU. Brent Venables recent comments about our program may be more relevant than we care to admit. It is going to be an interesting couple of days to see how it plays out. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

1. CBH did something really terrible that is tangible and can be proven and he will be fired.

2. Jetgate part 2 is happening and we will again look ridiculous and our program will be further damaged. 

Both of these are equally sad chapters for our program.

I completely agree. Whatever it is. Sad day for Auburn

• Like 1

• TitanTiger changed the title to Are the PTB trying to move on from Harsin?
3 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

IF the speculation is true and Harsin is fired with cause, Auburn’s first call should be…. Brian Flores. 

1. Dude can coach (nearly took the Dolphins to the playoffs the past 2 years).

2. First Black Head Coach in Auburn History.

3. He’s burning his bridges with the NFL as we speak, so why not Auburn swoop in and save the day. (Big PR boost IMO).

4. NFL connections

5. I believe he’ll have players and coaches lined up to play/coach for him  with the stand he’s taken against the NFL. 

He’s not “taking a stand” he’s trying to get a check 

• Like 4
  • Dislike 7

2 minutes ago, woodford said:

He’s not “taking a stand” he’s trying to get a check 

He was getting a check anyway.  They had to pay him the rest of his contract when they fired him.  And if one thinks he's just trying to get a check from winning a lawsuit, you also have to believe that he's willing to basically torch his career as a football coach to do so.  No one in the NFL will hire this guy and most colleges wouldn't touch him either.

That said, no on Flores.  He has zero college experience and while I don't think he deserved to get fired for performance by Miami, it's not like he lit the world on fire.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

If this thing continues to have legs for the next couple of days, I start to wonder how Harsin stays even if the rumors aren't true.  Just knowing people would go to such lengths to get rid of you wouldn't make me want to stay. 

Obviously if anything worthy of a "for cause" firing is true, you have to do it.

Either way, it's a PR black eye for Auburn.  Leave it to us to find a way to steer the news away from our #1 ranked basketball team with some sort of coaching drama in football.

If it’s true, I agree you have to fire for cause. If it’s not true and this is just some crap made up by some guys with too much money, I will have a hard time supporting our football program for some time. I am sure I would eventually come back around but you don’t just destroy families because you think a bad hire was made.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

2. Jetgate part 2 is happening and we will again look ridiculous and our program will be very damaged. 

Both of these are equally sad chapters for our program. The difference is in case 1, we can find a coach to come in and start fixing things. If it is #2, or perceived to be #2, good luck finding a high caliber coach to come to AU. Brent Venables recent comments about our program may be more relevant than we care to admit. It is going to be an interesting couple of days to see how it plays out. 

I don't think those are equally sad outcomes. #1 is a disastrous hiring mistake that can be rectified by hiring the right guy. #2 is a black eye for the program that will repel coaches, fans, and players for a long, long time.  But no matter what, if we can't get a coach that is on the same page as the boosters that create and fund NIL deals, we are destined for a long stay at the bottom of the SEC west.

Edited by Cardin Drake

2 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

I don't think those are equally sad outcomes. #1 is a disastrous hiring mistake that can be rectified by hiring the right guy. #2 is a black eye for the program that will repel coaches, fans, and players for a long, long time.  By no matter what, if we can't get a coach that is on the same page as the boosters that create and fund NIL deals, we are destined for a long stay at the bottom of the SEC west.

Yes! I didn’t anticipate this side of NIL. If the money people don’t like a coach, they can just hold their money and not help get recruits.

• Like 1

This better be more than conjecture. If Harsin ends up fired with cause and there is no proof given, I will find other things to do with my fall Saturdays. 

Edited by Chaotic_zx
  • Like 5

If rumors are true or even if Harsin is being runnoft  for being a bad coach, it's clear our previous job search did an abysmal job of vetting or having and was very short-sighted. 

Edited by aucom96
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Comparing this to jet gate is like comparing apples to Asian watermelons. It’s not even close to the same story.

If the “purse string holders” are making up scandalous lies and salacious stories to get rid of a coach so they don’t have to pay his buyout, they would be sued in court and if found guilty, possibly jailed.

Even in this crazy world, this can’t be possible!

• Like 6

All this Harsin drama doesn’t spell good news for ADAG as well…..

You have to think if the PTB are looking to get rid of Harsin before spring ball even starts after one season, Greene is going to go down with that ship as well. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Comparing this to jet gate is like comparing apples to Asian watermelons. It’s not even close to the same story.

If the “purse string holders” are making up scandalous lies and salacious stories to get rid of a coach so they don’t have to pay his buyout, they would be sued in court and if found guilty, possibly jailed.

Even in this crazy world, this can’t be possible!

I think with the Jetgate reference he meant that if they are looking at getting rid of Harsin, they are probably having backchannel talks with whoever they are looking at replacing him….that would not shock me at all.  

This would be a huge PR hit, they know it, and if this is the plan I think they would want to have someone to swiftly move in and take over whether long term or an interim basis.  I don’t think they would do this then engage in a public search.  

• Like 2

I have a very hard time believing that our PTB would fabricate malicious lies to oust a coach no matter how much they may not like him and the condition of our program. If there is any truth to the rumors regarding Harsin's actions then that should take care of it the "for cause". I don't stick my head in the sand but this conspiracy stuff sounds nuts. Can we just make basketball a year round sport? 

Edited by gr82be
What a difference a day makes. Looks like I may have given too much benefit of the doubt.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

All this Harsin drama doesn’t spell good news for ADAG as well…..

You have to think if the PTB are looking to get rid of Harsin before spring ball even starts after one season, Greene is going to go down with that ship as well. 

I believe you would be correct 

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

If this goes down, Muschamp is my choice. Recruiting is fixed immediately,  could even be long term choice depending on how he does..

He has flamed out as a HC. Recruiting would improve no question. I’m not sure I can get behind him as a head coach at AU. Short term maybe as you said . Florida went south and SC did as well. Not a bad thought when your options will be extremely limited 

• Like 1