2023 Men's Recruiting Thread

Dunndone414

• 2 weeks later...

Besides Yates, is Auburn in the running for any other high school players in April?

19 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Besides Yates, is Auburn in the running for any other high school players in April?

@PUB78 Yes. Per JLee at On3, 4* SG Blue Cain is a legit target. GT just let him out of his NLI.

Also 2024 5* C Flory Bidunga is a legit target & very possibly reclassifies to the 2023 class.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Washington has announced they will retain their coach. Yates was already a pipe dream, but I think we can now put that to bed (for a season at least). 

On 3/8/2023 at 7:22 AM, ellitor said:

And the Washington coaching sitch.

Doesn't look like he's going anywhere this year atm. https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/mike-hopkins-will-return-as-uw-mens-basketball-coach-next-season-husky-ad-says/ But hopefully Yates is hearing from AU coaches or perhaps Pearl will offer Yates' cousin Poindexter a spot on the coaching group if an assistant leaves. 

And Flory looks like he'd be quite the catch. I didn't realize he was rated that high. Obviously competition will be stiff. https://247sports.com/Player/Flory-Bidunga-46131476/

Edited by HAPvsOA

3 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

@HAPvsOA FTR. My post was before UW announced they were retaining him. My post became null and void when UW made their announcement last week.

3 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

And Flory looks like he'd be quite the catch. I didn't realize he was rated that high. Obviously competition will be stiff. https://247sports.com/Player/Flory-Bidunga-46131476/

Supposedly between us, Florida, & Purdue if he reclassifies.

• Thanks 1

Flory now expected to stay in the 2024 class. AU still supposedly in a good spot with him. I will create a thread on him soon.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 8:24 PM, ellitor said:

Flory now expected to stay in the 2024 class. AU still supposedly in a good spot with him. I will create a thread on him soon.

Honestly I rather have the super class for 2024 (if he does commit). It’d be an optical show of force  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Somebody please please tell me truthfully that Auburn is reaching out to the SF 5* That has asked for his release from Duke today.  MY goodness he would be perfect for this team. Played with Aden at the Summit. Duke starter is returning next year.

Edited by AUBwins
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Somebody please please tell me truthfully that Auburn is reaching out to the SF 5* That has asked for his release from Duke today.  MY goodness he would be perfect for this team. Played with Aden at the Summit. Duke starter is returning next year.

CA4DBF75-F56F-479E-9210-3CC9389A0A39.gif

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

But we aren't going to recruit top 30 players anymore

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

But we aren't going to recruit top 30 players anymore

Why is that?

3 hours ago, Lotto said:

Why is that?

@Lotto From an interview Bruce did recently sounds like he's tired of signing very highly rated players who then transfer after 1 year.

• Like 1

I thought Bruce said he'll ONLY recruit top 30 guys who can play right away, otherwise they'll just leave after they don't get a lot of minutes in year 1. Ironically, the least heralded guy from the 2022 class is the only one staying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phillyeagle said:

I thought Bruce said he'll ONLY recruit top 30 guys who can play right away, otherwise they'll just leave after they don't get a lot of minutes in year 1. Ironically, the least heralded guy from the 2022 class is the only one staying.

@phillyeaglehere's the recent interview I am referring to. Decifer as you will...

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@phillyeaglehere's the recent interview I am referring to. Decifer as you will...

He’s not wrong unless it’s a Jabari Smith type player.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ellitor said:

Speaking of top 30 guys. Any chance we can get Ace Bailey into our class? And does losing Coach Flanigan kill the opportunity to get Boateng from Arkansas? 

55 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

Speaking of top 30 guys. Any chance we can get Ace Bailey into our class? 

@HAPvsOA Nope. 

1 hour ago, HAPvsOA said:

And does losing Coach Flanigan kill the opportunity to get Boateng from Arkansas? 

Nope. We have our guards for the class in Pettiford & Philon so we aren't recruiting AB anymore.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@HAPvsOA Nope. 

Nope. We have our guards for the class in Pettiford & Philon so we aren't recruiting AB anymore.

Thanks for the update.

In that case, my vote for our new assistant coach is NBA vet Quincy Pondexter so he can bring Wesley Yates with him to be a hot shooting small forward. He's likely more of a SG, but I'm sure Pearl can work magic with the right 3 guard system as long as they're not all undersized. 

I bring this up because this year's NBA mock drafts has quite a few former AU commitments (Trey Alexander) or targets that had us in the final 2/3 (Scoot, Nick Smith, Jarace Walker, Julian Phillips, etc.). After watching some of Yates' clips, I wouldn't be surprised if he's another 4* that Bruce prioritized and ends up in the NBA.