2023 Men's Recruiting Thread

Dunndone414

4 hours ago, gravejd said:

Pretty cool that AU is now at hat on table status for elite recruits in bball! 

Indeed it is. At least, it is so long as we keep getting one or two here and there, of course. We don't have to get to Kentucky levels of signing three one and done prospects a year or anything, but I've enjoyed bringing in top recruits fairly regularly.

• Like 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, toddc said:

Hoping for some combo of KJ, Collier & Yates. Preferably all 3, but that would be 1 expensive NIL bill, so hopefully one or more of yall win the lottery. 😄

Here is what Yates said in today's article on 247. https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Wesley-Yates-basketball-recruiting-update-Arkansas-Auburn-Baylor-Gonzaga-LSU-Stanford-Washington-188237198/

Auburn: "Coach Wes Flanigan is the main one recruiting me, that's my dude, he came on a home-visit as well. When I went to the auburn campus, it felt like home, one of my cousins is on the football team and he told me it was just like Beaumont (Texas) and he wasn't lying, it is just like Beaumont; everyone treats you like family. I talked to all of the players and got to have conversations with them, KD Johnson and his mom came and talked to us. KD is crazy, he's funny, I beat him in Madden twice. Around there it's crazy, it's like family with everybody. Not too big, not too small."

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Like 3

Exciting news. KJ Evans (PF, #4 overall), Baye Fall (C, #13 overall)  and Assane Diop (C, #62 overall) have set OVs for June. 

Edited by Dunndone414
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

Exciting news. KJ Evans (PF, #4 overall), Baye Fall (C, #13 overall)  and Assane Diop (C, #62 overall) have set OVs for June. 

Baye Fall has/is also visiting Texas, Arkansas, Seton Hall and Rutgers. KJ Evans has visited Oregon and Arizona, and UK and Indiana are also in the mix. Diop has visited Seton Hall and Arkansas. Interestingly Diop and Fall have the same guardian.

I guess at the level we are currently recruiting we should assume top programs are recruiting all of our targets, so not sure if you all find these summaries that useful! Should also mention that Fall and Evans both pointed to Jabari as a reason they were interested in Auburn. The gift that keeps on giving. That’s one way one and dones help the program long term. 

Edited by Dunndone414
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Dunndone414 said:

Sweet. Although I'm a little worried about timing with so many PF's and C's on the roster. But if Broome, Traore, Cardwell or Jaylin go pro after next year, then we'll need reinforcements for sure. Anyone know if Broome has 1 or 2 years of eligibility left?  

And I'd guess there is a 99% chance Diop ends up being called "Lupin" by fans and college announcers during his freshman year.  https://netflix.fandom.com/wiki/Assane_Diop#

• Love 1

7 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

Sweet. Although I'm a little worried about timing with so many PF's and C's on the roster. But if Broome, Traore, Cardwell or Jaylin go pro after next year, then we'll need reinforcements for sure. Anyone know if Broome has 1 or 2 years of eligibility left?  

And I'd guess there is a 99% chance Diop ends up being called "Lupin" by fans and college announcers during his freshman year.  https://netflix.fandom.com/wiki/Assane_Diop#

Broome has only played 1 year.

Edited by lutzcammed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

Although I'm a little worried about timing with so many PF's and C's on the roster.

Actually, Stretch will complete his fourth academic season in Spring 2023, so while he will technically have two more seasons of eligibility, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he graduates next May and moves on (maybe to coaching?). That would open up a scholarship for a big man, plus if we eat the second probation scholarship this year like it currently appears that we will, there will be a scholarship ready and waiting for one of those big men whether Stretch moves on or not.

34 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Actually, Stretch will complete his fourth academic season in Spring 2023, so while he will technically have two more seasons of eligibility, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he graduates next May and moves on (maybe to coaching?). That would open up a scholarship for a big man, plus if we eat the second probation scholarship this year like it currently appears that we will, there will be a scholarship ready and waiting for one of those big men whether Stretch moves on or not.

Agreed. I'm just skeptical that a top "big" recruit would want to share minutes on a roster that includes Jaylin & Traore at the 4 and Broome, Cardwell & Stretch. Obviously, if none of them go pro, it's a great problem to have given it will mean that we have experienced studs at the 4 & 5. Just that it may be hurt from a recruiting POV to miss out on guys like KJ & Fall next year, that's all.  And if that happens, I expect Pearl & Co. to be close to the next crop of "bigs" after that. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

Agreed. I'm just skeptical that a top "big" recruit would want to share minutes on a roster that includes Jaylin & Traore at the 4 and Broome, Cardwell & Stretch. Obviously, if none of them go pro, it's a great problem to have given it will mean that we have experienced studs at the 4 & 5. Just that it may be hurt from a recruiting POV to miss out on guys like KJ & Fall next year, that's all.  And if that happens, I expect Pearl & Co. to be close to the next crop of "bigs" after that. 

Good points but there is another possibility and that is Traore develops under Bruce similar to other forward types and improves his stock enough to go pro. Same with Broome if he develops enough under Bruce. Not saying it will happen but Bruce has a pretty good track record on improving players to the point they get drafted into NBA or get a shot with NBA as free agents ala Harper and Brown. 

2 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

Any intel or news on KJ Evans visit? 

Haven’t heard yet 

• Like 1

Per Twitter, PG Aden Holloway is a heavy Auburn lean. 

Curious as to whether he is top of our board at PG. He’s the only PG with a recent OV. Collier seems to want to go anywhere but Auburn, not sure if we are even recruiting him anymore. 

For my part, Holloway seems like a great pickup. Elite PG but undersized enough that he’s likely a multi-year college player. 

• Like 2

On 6/22/2022 at 8:59 AM, Dunndone414 said:

For my part, Holloway seems like a great pickup. Elite PG but undersized enough that he’s likely a multi-year college player. 

Sounds like a winner to me.

Robert Dillingham committed to UK. ESPN had us in his final four. I don’t know that he was considering us that seriously, but I looove how many big-name guys Bruce has us in the mix for. Shopping for groceries!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

Robert Dillingham committed to UK. ESPN had us in his final four. I don’t know that he was considering us that seriously, but I looove how many big-name guys Bruce has us in the mix for. Shopping for groceries!

I see you live in Summerville use to live in Goose Creek a long time ago

7 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Was this the 1900s, or were you still a teenager?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Nice! Yeah, we’ve been down here for 17 years now. Love it…don’t know that we’ll ever need to leave Charleston.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

He only visited UK. I’m sure Bruce was in contact but this outcome was never in doubt. 

Update on a couple guys that visited for games: Brandon Gardner committed to St John’s, Ja’Kobe Walter committed to Baylor. 

PG Aden Holloway is committing in July, looks to be our first 2023 commit.

Bruce attended TX SG Wesley Yates’ game this week. We’re in a fight with just about everyone for him, but if we land him he might be the best scoring guard we’ve signed out of HS in the Bruce era. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

Update on a couple guys that visited for games: Brandon Gardner committed to St John’s, Ja’Kobe Walter committed to Baylor. 

PG Aden Holloway is committing in July, looks to be our first 2023 commit.

Bruce attended TX SG Wesley Yates’ game this week. We’re in a fight with just about everyone for him, but if we land him he might be the best scoring guard we’ve signed out of HS in the Bruce era. 

I really like our odds with Holloway and Yates. I read on another board that they believe that Gardner wasn’t a take at this point for Auburn.

• Like 1

This class is now extremely important. If it’s a strong one, that will show that we CAN compete in the NIL era and that our current football recruiting woes can more likely be solved by a coaching change.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

This class is now extremely important. If it’s a strong one, that will show that we CAN compete in the NIL era and that our current football recruiting woes can more likely be solved by a coaching change.

Slow your roll 

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Slow your roll 

I said IF. Not predicting anything, in case you’re telling me not to get my hopes up.

Edited by AUwent