Oscar Tshiebwe/Kentucky Basketball

Tiger720

13 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

Oscar announced he's staying at Kentucky another season. Looks like this may give Auburn the edge with signing Broome.

The NIL game at Kentucky must be on another level if they are getting players to put off the NBA. Thats pretty wild....was Oscar a sure fire 1st rounder?? I'd think so based on his production

28 minutes ago, gravejd said:

The NIL game at Kentucky must be on another level if they are getting players to put off the NBA. Thats pretty wild....was Oscar a sure fire 1st rounder?? I'd think so based on his production

I heard $2 million not so sure he was a sure fired 1st rounder

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

I don't think he was sure fire 1st rounder as Center's go he is a little on the short side. I agree about his production but when every night he goes against bigger Center's his production might go down.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gravejd said:

was Oscar a sure fire 1st rounder??

Nope.

'd think so based on his production

Not necessarily what NBA scouts look at.

I think he was mocked as being around the 6th or 7th center last time I checked. I don't think I've seen a single mock in the last few months that had him going first. I really think he's just going to be a better version (stock wise) of a Luka Garza...all time great college run, NPOY contender 2 straight years, and may not be heard again depending on where he goes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Nope.

Not necessarily what NBA scouts look at.

am I wrong in saying Oscar needs to expand his game and develope away from the rim in order to be a first rounder?

8 hours ago, lutzcammed said:

am I wrong in saying Oscar needs to expand his game and develope away from the rim in order to be a first rounder?

Based upon the way the NBA is going, yeah, I'd say so. Kessler is only a first rounder (in all likelihood, at least) because of his rim protection, since he doesn't have an outside game to speak of.

9 hours ago, lutzcammed said:

I think it's more he needs to grow some to battle NBA type centers.

54 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Based upon the way the NBA is going, yeah, I'd say so. Kessler is only a first rounder (in all likelihood, at least) because of his rim protection, since he doesn't have an outside game to speak of.

And WK is true C height.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

And WK is true C height.

Good point. I'm not sure how tall the Kentucky kid is, but I'm guessing it's a few inches shorter than Kessler's 7'1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I think it's more he needs to grow some to battle NBA type centers.

I find that our fans often dramatically overrate our guys’ (and other SEC guys’) NBA stock. My theory is that it’s because a fair number of Auburn folks prefer watching college sports to the pros and don’t realize how insanely good (and downright freakish athletes) top NBA players are. 

• Like 2

I think some may view Oscar's ceiling as he is now as a poor man's slightly shorter & less long Dennis Rodman. There's a very high value in that skill set in actual game play. Just not sure it equates as high in draft stock.

22 hours ago, gravejd said:

He was not. Most folks had him projected in the second round. 

UK still loses sure fire first rounders. Shaedon Sharpe is leaving without playing a minute this year, and TyTy Washington is out the door as well.

4 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

He was not. Most folks had him projected in the second round. 

UK still loses sure fire first rounders. Shaedon Sharpe is leaving without playing a minute this year, and TyTy Washington is out the door as well.

I never saw the story as to why Shaedon Sharpe did not play for UK. Did he get hurt?

No. He reclassified and came to school after the first semester. He’s from Canada. The delay had something to do with credits or finalizing his diploma. 

Anyway, Cal said he needed time to acclimate and decided not to work him into the rotation during SEC play. Cal said he didn’t know their calls (especially on defense) so it wouldn’t be fair to him. Never made a lick of sense to me. He practiced with the team all semester, and every player said he was great. I can’t believe they didn’t find a way to give him 10-15 minutes. It’s basketball, not rocket science. 

On 4/20/2022 at 1:08 PM, gravejd said:

I think he said he wasn’t ready for the NBA yet himself.

3 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

No. He reclassified and came to school after the first semester. He’s from Canada. The delay had something to do with credits or finalizing his diploma. 

Anyway, Cal said he needed time to acclimate and decided not to work him into the rotation during SEC play. Cal said he didn’t know their calls (especially on defense) so it wouldn’t be fair to him. Never made a lick of sense to me. He practiced with the team all semester, and every player said he was great. I can’t believe they didn’t find a way to give him 10-15 minutes. It’s basketball, not rocket science. 

It’s possible Cal was covering for the kid to protect his draft stock. If he plays a few minutes per game and doesn’t look impressive he falls, but now he’s a top ten pick based on potential. 

For draft purposes, the top HS players should play as little as possible. Ha. 

Doesn’t count if Tyty was injured 🫠. 

• Haha 1

Just since we’re talking about Little Blue Nation, the game of basketball was blessed that Shaedon kid never played. That dude might’ve been better than either of the other two guards, and I hold them in pretty high regard 

That's the crazy thing. Word from off-court was that he was a difference maker in practice. He can get buckets and create his own shot. They needed that (hell, every team needs as much of that as possible). If I were a UK fan, this has to go down as the worst coaching job of Cal's tenure because at least the year before they had the decency of not having much talent. This year, they crushed in eventual national champs on their own floor. They were gushing talent, and if he'd done his job, they win the SEC. Happy to see them fail, but that team was loaded.