The Justin Powell Saga (Merged)

tgrogan21

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

im hearing it had to do with Auburn not wanting to clear him medically. 

@steeleagle Completely wrong. Nobody would have cleared him coming off a concussion & a skull fracture.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Not to mention this is not his first head injury. He spent weeks away from people and in a dark room Bc of how it was affecting him. You put a hurting athlete in those kinds of situations and see how it affects them psychologically. I 100% understand him wanting to be closer to home, but man it stings

I'd be ok with it if he weren't being nudged to do it by another school/schools.

Just now, ellitor said:

I'd be ok with it if he weren't being nudged to do it by another school/schools.

And this is what pisses me off. PURE SCUM, for coaches to take advantage of someone having a major head injury.

26 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

So UK did their thing, and then realized they didn’t have a shooter. Would this have still played out had JP not gotten hurt?

@Maverick.AU Not sure it's UK. His hometown is supposedly 95% Louisville. & No clue on the 2nd question. Apparently the school or schools are push possible more sanctions we could get against us.

21 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Note.....that hasn't been proven, I choose to not believe such speculation until proven.

@Proud Tiger No point or sense barking up this tree. You know damn well the chances are slim it would be proven even if true.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info, @ellitor. Glad to know some more of what really happened. Hate that other schools would do that but hate more that they'll get away with it.

• Like 2

Until the NCAA renders a final verdict to clear this mess up once and for all, schools will use it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

I wish the best for him. I also wish Auburn basketball could go 200 days without crappy news. Injuries, investigations, unexpected transfers, G League, etc.

The AU bball curse lives on. 

24 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Until the NCAA renders a final verdict to clear this mess up once and for all, schools will use it.

We need to use it this year. Look at Baylor, you can transform a team with transfers. We don’t need much. 

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

And this is what pisses me off. PURE SCUM, for coaches to take advantage of someone having a major head injury.

It takes two parties to do some unethical thing such as this. If (big IF) Powell was drawn away from AU by tampering, then he is just as guilty as they are. Maybe we can tell there was tampering by his next choice of school, maybe not.

• Like 1

Well I don't know all his personal his business. But the good riddance stuff shouldn't really be done to anybody not just him.....

I had posted before I knew any of this......this hurts, it hurts is in particular because we really need good shooters. But individually it's not end of the world. Maybe guys really work on their shots over the summer and we see some improvement. Maybe not. I'm not going to pretend to a guy isn't good just because he left.....at the same time you guys have drug guys who was about as good as Powell. He wasn't an all American or anything.

He averaged around 10 points and shot around 40% and he didn't have any big performances against the better teams we played. It sucks but the freshman coming in can replace that. 

Soul crushing is just being very very dramatic

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Maverick.AU Not sure it's UK. His hometown is supposedly 95% Louisville. & No clue on the 2nd question. Apparently the school or schools are push possible more sanctions we could get against us.

lol but Louisville of all teams trying to use potential sanctions against AU allegedly? Ummmm aren't they going to get popped by the NCAA more than  almost anyone? They have absolutely no leg to stand on. They have the least amount of any leg to stand on regarding any improperties honestly. SMH. This really overcooks my grits.

Edited by GwillMac6

giphy.gif

• Love 1

Poster on the Ticket Board this morning said that his parents were going through a nasty divorce, so if that is true, factor that into the equation. Ellitor, check your PM, if that is true, it might explain things. Sounds like he might have depressed. You have to suspect tampering because many people knew this would happen............except us

Edited by chizhead
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

It takes two parties to do some unethical thing such as this. If (big IF) Powell was drawn away from AU by tampering, then he is just as guilty as they are. Maybe we can tell there was tampering by his next choice of school, maybe not.

I’m not going to blame a player that is on his second head injury, a severe one at that, that has been shut in the dark for weeks, wasn’t even able to do his school work, etc. Those things alone can really mess with someone psychologically.

• Like 5

A couple of historically more informed basketball people on the bunker are saying that's only part of it. Another big part of it is another team or teams tampering with him when they aren't supposed to communicate with him since he's playing for another school. I'm tired of this Ish! It's the same damn thing Baylor illegally did to get @fredst's boy Davion.

Do you think Auburn will go after these schools?  Personally I think it is about time Auburn basketball stand's up for themselves.  I feel like we are just getting pushed around by the NCAA, and now other schools.

• Thanks 1

What really hurts is Auburn stood by Powell and continued to recruit him when his high school rankings fell due to injury.  He wasn't rated as high as he would have been and we were the only major school that offered.  When he arrived Auburn continued to develop him until his injury which is no ones fault.  Now other schools are trying to come in last second and benefit off of our hard work developing him.

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Do you think Auburn will go after these schools?  Personally I think it is about time Auburn basketball stand's up for themselves.  I feel like we are just getting pushed around by the NCAA, and now other schools.

@abw0004 Nothing AU can really do with the own hot water we are in due to Person.

• Thanks 1

A couple of historically more informed basketball people on the bunker are saying that's only part of it. Another big part of it is another team or teams tampering with him when they aren't supposed to communicate with him since he's playing for another school. I'm tired of this Ish! It's the same damn thing Baylor illegally did to get @fredst's boy Davion.

If it is for health reasons and getting closer to home I wish him the best. I hope he never gets another concussions and  is able to function without any ill effects.  If it is for the bs tampering, I hope that he and the other team as a whole,  fail miserably.  

Edited by lutzcammed

I'm bummed he left but if you guys recall he tried to go to IMG or some basketball factory school in HS and it did not work out for him. Now he isn't able to stick at AU either. Probably something going on there. Who knows. It stinks cause i think he would have been a great glue guy for us over the next couple of seasons. This should force Pearls hand in bringing in another PG this offseason. And 2 if Coop decides to go

ok this one hurts. what are our chances of keeping flannigan and coop?flannigan raised his game bigtime this year and coop to me needs to hit the weights and maybe work on his three point shooting? i could be way off but coop was knocked down a lot and pushed around some. he never showed any fear. anyone know?

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

How would you suggest Auburn "go after these schools?"  

Auburn's still under the NCAA gun while they've slow played us and have yet to hand down our punishment/sanctions/probation. 

IF we're getting pushed around by other schools to the point where they're tampering with our active players, throwing up the post-season ban and pending NCAA sanctions, I'm not sure there's a damn thing Auburn can do about it right now. 

• Like 1