The Justin Powell Saga (Merged)

tgrogan21

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

@steeleagle Completely wrong. Nobody would have cleared him coming off a concussion & a skull fracture.

I don't know what you mean by 'nobody'. Nobody outside of Au?

How could it be completely wrong, as a possible reason, that Powell wanted to be cleared, but Auburn wanted to continue to evaluate him, and didn't feel comfortable clearing him.

I'm not talking during the season, I'm talking that this is still their evaluation even after the season was over...

Nathan King said, and I have no real understanding of what he meant, that it was in the best interest of both parties that he leave. I am sure that we'll know something later

Edited by chizhead

17 minutes ago, keesler said:

How would you suggest Auburn "go after these schools?"  

Auburn's still under the NCAA gun while they've slow played us and have yet to hand down our punishment/sanctions/probation. 

IF we're getting pushed around by other schools to the point where they're tampering with our active players, throwing up the post-season ban and pending NCAA sanctions, I'm not sure there's a damn thing Auburn can do about it right now. 

Personally, I would suggest Auburn show the evidence that makes them believe there is tampering to the NCAA.  Have our lawyers go public with it to shame those schools make make them think twice as well as make it clear to players they are not allowed to be contacted by these schools.

8 minutes ago, chizhead said:

Nathan King said, and I have no real understanding of what he meant, that it was in the best interest of both parties that he leave. I am sure that we'll know something later

interesting 

23 minutes ago, chizhead said:

Just reading between the lines again (and I hate that), is it still may have something to do with his medical istuation.

This, if it is a little more insightful, doesn't fit the narrative to me, of another school trying to get him to transfer...when both parties agree it is in the best interest of school and player, that he leave..

(but I never did take a psychic class at Auburn). :)

14 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Note.....that hasn't been proven, I choose to not believe such speculation until proven.

I want to live in that world.

I'm so jaded at this point.

I want to be surprised that you are correct.

Really in the grand scheme of things why he left doesn't really matter and his injuries really shouldn't make a difference of any disdain from anybody. People should chill with that anyway. Unless a guy does something purposely to sabotage (which doesn't ever really happen) 

This guy's stuff is just pubic there has been many many guys who were drug that had problems such as anxiety, stress, depression, and they dealt with injuries and being home sick too.

You really should think what if these kids were your son's or whatnot....how would you react in the things you say. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

Until the NCAA renders a final verdict to clear this mess up once and for all, schools will use it.

I don;t understand what the NCAA  has to do here.  This happened 4-5 years ago when most of our current team was in Jr High or High school.  Those players were punished. AU received no benefit from it.  And the guy  who did it went to jail.  How is this still hanging over our heads?!?

Is there just that much animosity towards Bruce in the Bball world?

1 hour ago, chizhead said:

Sounds like he soured over Bruce and/or the staff for some reason. Weird. Cool soap opera, though. "The Young and the Injured." STAY TUNED.

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

This should force Pearls hand in bringing in another PG this offseason

@gravejd staff was already planning on it before Powell leaving. With him leaving now we need a bona fide pure deep shooter.

7 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Sounds like he soured over Bruce and/or the staff for some reason. Weird. Cool soap opera, though. "The Young and the Injured." STAY TUNED.

Completely guessing:  It could be a Kawhi Leonard situation where he though he was cleared to play and wanted to play but the Spurs staff wouldn’t let him on the court.  So Kawhi become jaded and demanded a trade.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Really in the grand scheme of things why he left doesn't really matter and his injuries really shouldn't make a difference of any disdain from anybody. People should chill with that anyway. Unless a guy does something purposely to sabotage (which doesn't ever really happen) 

This guy's stuff is just pubic there has been many many guys who were drug that had problems such as anxiety, stress, depression, and they dealt with injuries and being home sick too.

You really should think what if these kids were your son's or whatnot....how would you react in the things you say. 

Cole is so on the spot. He came to Auburn played hard and got hurt. A concussion that took him out of normal functioning for a long time. So if he wants to leave now that is fine. Whatever reason he leaves it is his reason. I love Auburn but I also want the best for any player who comes here. He gave his all while he was here and we can thank him for that and wish him the best of luck. If he eventually ends up at school where he competes against us I will still wish him the best but I will pull 100% for Auburn when we play that team just like I do when we play any other team.

Lets be honest the system is set up to take care of the schools more than the players. Coaches break contracts come and go, Professors switch universities and are not usually restricted, Presidents of Universities switch schools basically only players who are the least compensated who are restricted. I really don't understand why people get upset when a player decides to leave like they should have some level of loyalty to the school other people at Universities don't have and are not expected to have.

As a fan I understand not wanting a good player to leave, I don't want Powell to leave but that is it, once he makes the decision I support him and wish him the best.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

Completely guessing:  It could be a Kawhi Leonard situation where he though he was cleared to play and wanted to play but the Spurs staff wouldn’t let him on the court.  So Kawhi become jaded and demanded a trade.

But I thought the Spurs held KL out for business/market purposes? That would make no sense for AU to hold out JP in the same sense. The only legit reason (IMO) for JP to have beef is if AU administration caught wind of him flirting with Cal and held his ass out punitively. Then all bets are off, but even then...

See, I can completely guess, too!!!

Just now, AuburnNTexas said:

Cole is so on the spot. He came to Auburn played hard and got hurt. A concussion that took him out of normal functioning for a long time. So if he wants to leave now that is fine. Whatever reason he leaves it is his reason. I love Auburn but I also want the best for any player who comes here. He gave his all while he was here and we can thank him for that and wish him the best of luck. If he eventually ends up at school where he competes against us I will still wish him the best but I will pull 100% for Auburn when we play that team just like I do when we play any other team.

Lets be honest the system is set up to take care of the schools more than the players. Coaches break contracts come and go, Professors switch universities and are not usually restricted, Presidents of Universities switch schools basically only players who are the least compensated who are restricted. I really don't understand why people get upset when a player decides to leave like they should have some level of loyalty to the school other people at Universities don't have and are not expected to have.

As a fan I understand not wanting a good player to leave, I don't want Powell to leave but that is it, once he makes the decision I support him and wish him the best.

Your points are very well taken, but I think the prevailing defense of AU in this situation is that it is well-documented that Pearl saw Powell as a diamond in the rough and got in on him early, even sticking with him through his HS adversity (injuries), etc. We just don't know enough of the facts of the transfer to be able to comment intelligently without mass speculation, so that's kinda what everybody is doing. He was the best player for AU pre-Cooper, and would have made our lineup so much better next year had he stayed. Also, all us AU hoops loyalists are sick of the testicle-jabs that come every few months.

• Like 1

I will be upset if he ends up in Lexington!

That would look really bad.

Edited by AUGoo

Very sorry to see him go. Was hoping he’d be an anchor for this team for at least 3 years. Wish him well. Hope he fully recovers and plays lights out— just not against us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I don't know what you mean by 'nobody'. Nobody outside of Au?

@steeleagleNobody means nobody. Did you miss the report where he couldn't even attend a game because of all the lights & noises affecting him til the Vols game? He's only been able to lift weights & shoot the past week.

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

How could it be completely wrong, as a possible reason, that Powell wanted to be cleared, but Auburn wanted to continue to evaluate him, and didn't feel comfortable clearing him.

That's possible but not how your OP read.

2 hours ago, chizhead said:

Interesting. That's the 1st real hint there may be a character issue involved like the rumored bar fight or something. Still skeptical on the character & bar thing til JGT & the bunker basketball insiders start talking about it. As of last night they haven't.

44 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

I will be upset if he ends up in Lexington!

That would look really bad.

"Kentucky, Louisville, Duke, Gonzaga, Virginia, UCLA, Georgia Tech and Memphis are among the schools expressing early interest in Justin Powell, sources tell KSR. The Auburn transfer will have his choice when it comes time for a final decision. Officially entered portal today." https://twitter.com/JackPilgrimKSR/status/1369685307382173698?s=19 

Edited by Dunndone414

3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

And this is why I'm not buying the bar fight rumor or the agreed upon split. If there was a bar fight & agreed split it wouldn't be a surprise to most involved for him to leave.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Interesting. That's the 1st real hint there may be a character issue involved like the rumored bar fight or something. Still skeptical on the character & bar thing til JGT & the bunker basketball insiders start talking about it. As of last night they haven't.

Well, did any of those insiders even know the guy was going to transfer? Did this decision come as a total shock to them as it did this board? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Well, did any of those insiders even know the guy was going to transfer? Did this decision come as a total shock to them as it did this board? 

N & yes. Hence my skepticism. Had there been character issues causing an agreed split they likely would not have been surprised.